Which to choose......

Help Support CattleToday:

capparelli

Reaction score
I have a purebred Angus steer that I have been planning on showing in a Market Steer show. He will be around 13 months at fair. He is out of one of my old show cows and I have been working with him for a while, and he is already cut.

Then the guy down the road has a 1/2 Angus 1/2 Limo bull calf that would be 14 months at the show. He is 8 months old and still a bull. He was going to be kept as a herd bull but he is a little crazy. He is defintly more muscular and eye appealing than my Angus, but I think he is a little old to be cutting and there is the crazy part.

The other think I am worried about is finishing the half Limo calf, which would you choose if you had to choose between a full Angus calf that would be 13 months at the show the half Limo that will be 14 months, if they had the same disposition?

capparelli":htjaebpr said:
I have a purebred Angus steer that I have been planning on showing in a Market Steer show. He will be around 13 months at fair. He is out of one of my old show cows and I have been working with him for a while, and he is already cut.

Then the guy down the road has a 1/2 Angus 1/2 Limo bull calf that would be 14 months at the show. He is 8 months old and still a bull. He was going to be kept as a herd bull but he is a little crazy. He is defintly more muscular and eye appealing than my Angus, but I think he is a little old to be cutting and there is the crazy part.

The other think I am worried about is finishing the half Limo calf, which would you choose if you had to choose between a full Angus calf that would be 13 months at the show the half Limo that will be 14 months, if they had the same disposition?

We have shown some limi cross steers and one PB Limi but ares were all more around 16 months at show time. They were all finished at time of show, actually two of them the judge commented on they were the most finished steers there. We pushed them hard but did not have cooler, they spent some hard gaining days in End of June and first of July in the hot.

I would stay away from any steer that is described as crazy no matter how good he is. I would say it also depends on frame size, we could assume the Limi would be larger framed and finish slower but this is not always the case.

With no pics or seeing in person I would vote for the Angus, but this is really a crap shoot with the limited info.

Good luck!

capparelli":3v5zq9b8 said:

We don't cut our show steers untli they are 6 months old. Allows more testosterone to build muscle to get going in their system. If you can afford it, I would say both.

Cowboy 2.0":3s19jc6k said:
If you can afford it, I would say both.

Our steer weigh in is September 9th. I can only take one. The Limo cross is larger framed but also has alot more muscle.

I am getting ready to head out, I get my steer for the state fair this morning. It's a little scary, they draw to see who gets what pick and there is 75 kids. I dont know if I will end up with the worst or best. :shock:

capparelli":26c5q5g4 said:
I am getting ready to head out, I get my steer for the state fair this morning. It's a little scary, they draw to see who gets what pick and there is 75 kids. I dont know if I will end up with the worst or best. :shock:

Why do you have to be part of a group that gets a steer? Can you not just go out and find yourself a steer anywhere you like? Never heard of such rules. If we want a county steer or a state steer, then we just go find one somewhere. Sounds like someone has a monopoly on you?

aplusmnt":2one8p8n said:
capparelli":2one8p8n said:

Why do you have to be part of a group that gets a steer? Can you not just go out and find yourself a steer anywhere you like? Never heard of such rules. If we want a county steer or a state steer, then we just go find one somewhere. Sounds like someone has a monopoly on you?

I've heard of ag teachers doing this before and it's insane.

aplusmnt":294dlrb6 said:
capparelli":294dlrb6 said:

They try to make it so that it is fair, in the end there is no auction and every one gets market price for their steer. The way you make money is by earning points. The number of points you earn depends on how much you do. You get points for attending seminars, showmanship, record books, record book tests, speaches about your project, various skills test, how your calf places, ect. Florida Cattlemen donate the calves to the State Fair and then we buy them from the fair for market price. You pull a letter out of a box and that tells you what pen you have to pick a steer out of, I got Pen B. There are around 8 calves in each pen and 6 exhibitors. Then you look at the calves in your pen and mark down your top choices on a peice of paper. You have to turn in that in and then they pull them out of a box and then it is just luck. If you are one of the last people to get drawn and all your picks have been taken then you can say you want to pick out of the redraw pen. The redraw pen is where the calves that didnt get picked go.

I was the 5th in my pen to get drawn. Needless to say I went to the redraw pen. I ended up with my fourth pick from the pen I had the first time. I am not very happy with him. He is a Brangus Hereford cross, he is black with a mottled face. There were a few that I really liked in other pens, they were Angus Limo crosses and then one Angus Maine cross. I guess today wasnt my lucky day. :mad:

capparelli":28ijnhg2 said:
aplusmnt":28ijnhg2 said:
capparelli":28ijnhg2 said:

They try to make it so that it is fair, in the end there is no auction and every one gets market price for their steer. The way you make money is by earning points. The number of points you earn depends on how much you do. You get points for attending seminars, showmanship, record books, record book tests, speaches about your project, various skills test, how your calf places, ect. Florida Cattlemen donate the calves to the State Fair and then we buy them from the fair for market price. You pull a letter out of a box and that tells you what pen you have to pick a steer out of, I got Pen B. There are around 8 calves in each pen and 6 exhibitors. Then you look at the calves in your pen and mark down your top choices on a peice of paper. You have to turn in that in and then they pull them out of a box and then it is just luck. If you are one of the last people to get drawn and all your picks have been taken then you can say you want to pick out of the redraw pen. The redraw pen is where the calves that didnt get picked go.

I was the 5th in my pen to get drawn. Needless to say I went to the redraw pen. I ended up with my fourth pick from the pen I had the first time. I am not very happy with him. He is a Brangus Hereford cross, he is black with a mottled face. There were a few that I really liked in other pens, they were Angus Limo crosses and then one Angus Maine cross. I guess today wasnt my lucky day. :mad:

So everyone in the state of Florida that wants to show in the State Fair has to come pick from these few select Steers? And all of them are donated and only sold at Market price? That must be a terrible display of Steers at the state fair. Usually State fairs are the best of the best in market animals.

Wonder what a person does if the animal is crazy or something. Seems like you really have your hands tied on picking yourself an animal.

capparelli":39ow7mco said:
aplusmnt":39ow7mco said:
capparelli":39ow7mco said:

Is this for 4-H or FFA? When my dad was in 4-H this is how they got their 4-H projects. Now we just go buy one somewhere of our own.

L Weir":38i6fzuq said:
capparelli":38i6fzuq said:
aplusmnt":38i6fzuq said:
capparelli":38i6fzuq said:

Is this for 4-H or FFA? When my dad was in 4-H this is how they got their 4-H projects. Now we just go buy one somewhere of our own.

This is for everyone who is showing a steer at the state fair. 4-H and FFA.

aplusmnt said:
So everyone in the state of Florida that wants to show in the State Fair has to come pick from these few select Steers? And all of them are donated and only sold at Market price? That must be a terrible display of Steers at the state fair. Usually State fairs are the best of the best in market animals.

Wonder what a person does if the animal is crazy or something. Seems like you really have your hands tied on picking yourself an animal.

You have it right. The fair holds back 4 of the calves that were not drawn and they will keep them for the next two weeks. Within that time period if something happens to the steer or the kid feels it is unbreakable they can sell it and then buy one of the four steers the fair kept.

Guess I can not knock a system I do not know much about. Might be interesting. But it sure seems like you would have a pretty week steer show for a state fair. I would hate having to show say a brangus steer if my family raised Herefords. Kind of ties the kids hands.

Sounds like one of those Soccer Mom type sports things were they do not keep score, and everyone plays equal amounts of time and competition is taken out of it.

We could never compete on a state level with a steer, I would not spend that much money to play with the big boys. But if I wanted to take a Shorthorn or Hereford up to show because my daughter likes the way they look or we raised one ourselves good enough I might go. But would not like this Florida system at all.

Back to the origional question:

At 8 months (actually earlier than that) our bull calves start showing some crest and have a bully look to them. That crest might be hard to sweat out of the limmyX.

As I was reading the origional post, it sounded to me like capp has his mind made up and all but talked himself into the angus while he was typeing.

certherfbeef":tfa8ehfp said:
Back to the origional question:

At 8 months (actually earlier than that) our bull calves start showing some crest and have a bully look to them. That crest might be hard to sweat out of the limmyX.

As I was reading the origional post, it sounded to me like capp has his mind made up and all but talked himself into the angus while he was typeing.
Thats what it sounded like to me as well.

Latest posts