Which Style Which Simmental Cow/heifer??

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to start a herd with a foundation cow/heifer, I am pretty sure I know which animal I am going to be purchasing but would like some second opinions. I am looking to show the heifers and use them in my herd and steer the bull calves. I compete in a lot of local shows but lately I have been going to bigger and bigger shows. All these Simmental cows have just been on grass hay and have not been fitted

THANKS!

This is a 7yr old cow, she produces heifers that are really straight and correct Sire: TNT Cruiser /Grand Sire: TFI Granit. She is bred for a 2011 calf
IMG_1628.jpg

This is the granddaughter of #1 she is a 2yr old heifer due to calve for the first time this spring her Sire is not an AI sire her GrandSire: ES Dakota She is bred to and AI sire Dream On for a 2011 march calf
IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1611.jpg

#3 This is a 5yr old cow out of 3C Macho and her dam has eggs all over the country she is in calf for a 2011 calf to a non AI sire
Sorry for her being a mess it got warm out and the snow started melting
IMG_1630.jpg

#4 This is the first heifer calf out of the above cow and Ebony's Trade Mark I showed this heifer and did not do super great at bigger shows.
mailZoey.jpg

THANK YOU SO MUCH! ALL INPUT APPRECIATED

I like #1 #4 but they all look good easy keeping cows and work fine but number 2 looks a little lite right now but they all could do just fine for breeding

Do you have any idea of the production of the older cows? Like if any heifers, steers, or bulls out of them have been kept back or sold for show?

Yes, #1 cow calves very long straight stylish heifers and the same with bulls. Her calf from this year was steered and is very long tall and straight, Her calves ussually show ok but tend to be repremended for not having enough width, side profile is beautiful. She has never had calving problems and is a bigger cow with good milk production. All her heifer calves have been shown and did well and were also purchased on site from people who saw them.

#3 Is 1800pds in summer and she produced twin bull calves who did not make it, then her daughter is #4 who either places first or last in shows. She produces thick and short calves, she only has one heifer and she is very narrow fronted and a little pigeon toed #4

wow it sucks to lose 2 calves from an 1,800lb cow and have to feed her for another year.a couple weeks ago i saw a 4 year old sim sale at the sale barn that weighed 2,190lbs.she brought .66 per lb.

My horses costs blow my Simmental steers costs out of the water :) After having horses so long cattle are pretty cheap... Two of my horse can go through a 1100pd bale in 4days. I really enjoy the breed even though I prefer more color on them rather than solids. Do you have another breed suggestion?

This is just my opinion on what I'd pick strictly from a show calf producing basis. Without me seeing previous calves or production records, I'd go with #1 or #2. My reason being this. The older cow won't have any problems if you decide to go with more show stock bulls that have heavier calves. On her, I'd make sure I would breed her back to a stockier bull to put some width on the calves and if you decide to show low % simmy, you can use a club calf bull without a lot of problems. Since you said she has a tendency to throw stylish calves, she'd be my first pick off the pictures and what you provided.

#2 would be my second choice because she is a younger cow and will be around longer if all goes well. The strike against her is not knowing what she will have as far as calves. But I have seen some calves out of Dream On and they look good.

I like #3, but from the pictures she looks smaller. I've found in the show ring, smaller is not better.

Good luck!

SimmentalShowGirl":1hvrxjry said:
My horses costs blow my Simmental steers costs out of the water :) After having horses so long cattle are pretty cheap... Two of my horse can go through a 1100pd bale in 4days. I really enjoy the breed even though I prefer more color on them rather than solids. Do you have another breed suggestion?
That's why I don't have horses

sim.-ang.king":12cmiawt said:
SimmentalShowGirl":12cmiawt said:
That's why I don't have horses

Probably the smartest thing you have said since you arrived here. :tiphat:

I have to agree.. I would also do more looking. If you're building your foundation, you want the very best genetics and phenotype you can afford to buy. I don't like #2 at all.. frail boned, coarse shouldered, and that brisket is going to be hard to breed out of her if you want show calves. #3 looks to be okay, but would need a front / rear picture to see more.

Latest posts