Which spooks more deer.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
ATV or walking in dry leaves. I got busted by a deer walking in before daylight this morning. It was one of those mornings that the leaves were so dry that a ground squrill sounded like a grizzly bear trompimg through the woods and it got me to thinking (yes I know this is dangerous for a hillbilly). Would an ATV with factory exhaust spook any more deer than on foot when it is this dry? I have always preferred walking in, but wondering if the lazy way might be better sometimes.

Depends what they're used to I suspect.
The deer on my place are so used to seeing and hearing me on a tractor, they'll stand and watch till I'm almost right on them (couple hundred feet away) but if I'm in my pickup or walking, they hit the air as soon as they see or hear me. Usually have a dog with me when walking or in the pickup tho.

greybeard":vg8i7lgq said:
Depends what they're used to I suspect.
The deer on my place are so used to seeing and hearing me on a tractor, they'll stand and watch till I'm almost right on them (couple hundred feet away) but if I'm in my pickup or walking, they hit the air as soon as they see or hear me. Usually have a dog with me when walking or in the pickup tho.
Also depends on the time of day.If they aren;t used to the ATV or walking before day light I would guess either one would spook them. During the day they just stand around and watch or stay bedded down and watch when I go by but they are accustomed to the mule running around during day light

Kingfisher":2lzwe0pg said:
It depends. :)
Yep.
Usually the best way is to get dropped off. Truck goes in , truck goes out. You
Stay behind.

When that's not a option.
At home I drive the ATV and park it under or behind the stand. The deer are used to the ATV but not people walking around in the woods.
At my place to the west I usually drive the truck. . I'll drive in past the stand and park in the brush several hundred yards away and walk back. A truck will bump deer into the brush but they come right back. A man walking through the brush will send them into the next county.

Don't know how many times hubby has said he parked the Polaris a half mile from the blind, walked in/out only to see them hanging around the Polaris like a bunch of dang cows. But we use the UTV's all the time, all over the ranch and I scare off more deer just walking around.

Latest posts