Which sire to use on heifer ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I have a yearling heifer that I can't decide which AI sire use. Her AAA# 20130890. When I bred her I was hoping for a top 1% claw and angle foot score epds . She needs help with marbling , doc and I want to keep great foot epds. Any suggestions? I would like to improve foot scores , marbling ( I guess ) doc . Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
If numbers is your game then Sitz Incentive 704H or Basin Safe Deposit 9324 would fit. We have Safe Deposit calves just weaned and so far have been good cattle. There should be some maternal ability, but the HP EPD is not very good at this point and that is concerning if it is accurate at all. HF Tiger 5T had a poor HP EPD, but I never had any problem with the daughters.

On edit: Basin Deposit could work too if you don't mind the mature height and weight -- too big for me.

MH and Doc epds I don't believe to be as accurate as other epds . Unfortunately $B comes with some added size it seems. .

How about Sitz Stellar? I've just used him on some heifers and cows. I can't say how they are yet but am looking forward to getting some calves next year.
Just on that, the .25ml straws all had the air bubble in the middle, I contacted ABS and they treated me like an idiot saying they have been processing the semen like that for years and you have to give it several vigorous shakes to get it to rise to the top. They say they do it like that to minimise straws exploding, I have never seen it before. I don't use a lot of ABS, I don't like the company but most of what I have used has been .5ml straws. I think having to handle it like that gives unnecessary exposure of the straw.

Ken

Why do you need top 1% foot epds? Likely you are throwing out good useful potential matings by using a standard that is not that meaningful. The Angus breed has done their membership a disservice by using genomics to determine foot epds. Thus there are a bunch of good numbered cattle that have crappy feet. Find bulls and seed stock that have good feet and forget the numbers as they are deceiving at best.

Why do you need top 1% foot epds? Likely you are throwing out good useful potential matings by using a standard that is not that meaningful. The Angus breed has done their membership a disservice by using genomics to determine foot epds. Thus there are a bunch of good numbered cattle that have crappy feet. Find bulls and seed stock that have good feet and forget the numbers as they are deceiving at best.
Her dams feet are perfect and the epds back it up, I don't want to lose that. With the high marbling bulls losing scrotal and feet quality, high foot quality and scrotal bulls will be the alternative soon. Epd rankings do help sell cattle. A bull with a top 1% claw and top 1% angle will be easier to sell than a bull that's average across the board. Just my theory. I need to add scrotal to her also. Her ratios were WW 115 and 121 YW.

Are you shooting at selling at multivendor sales where you feel the need to out do the next vendor? It becomes a bit of a feeding frenzy also.

Ken

Are you shooting at selling at multivendor sales where you feel the need to out do the next vendor? It becomes a bit of a feeding frenzy also.

Ken
That is a very good question. Some of my cattle are more for commercial guys and I sell out of my pasture. I have some clients that love epds. I have not done well in sales.

If you're trying to improve feet and don't mind them big then you could use Ellingson Three Rivers 8062. He's top 1% EPD for feet, lots of growth and performance but I definitely wouldn't use him on a heifer (I know that was the point of the post) :confused: He has everything that you're looking for except a birthweight EPD suitable for a heifer. This post isn't helpful to you but will bring the thread to the top of the pile so maybe someone else will see it and have a good suggestion.

If you're trying to improve feet and don't mind them big then you could use Ellingson Three Rivers 8062. He's top 1% EPD for feet, lots of growth and performance but I definitely wouldn't use him on a heifer (I know that was the point of the post) :confused: He has everything that you're looking for except a birthweight EPD suitable for a heifer. This post isn't helpful to you but will bring the thread to the top of the pile so maybe someone else will see it and have a good suggestion.

I have been told I should use Three Rivers as the toads don't work for us. Haven't seen many pictures. How thick are they. We like them long and thick.