Which PB simmental bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P":1f46bytl said:
Don't know where my previous post went...
I'm stacking Shear Force influence...using several sons & grandsons...I ain't skeered. We're breeding cows that will work for us, not for closed-minded folks who are 'afraid' of "inbreeding".
Maybe it's too much...time will tell...but as a commercial producer, cattle that leave here don't go with a pedigree accompanying them, even if they have multiple generations of AI breeding behind them.

Look at CLRS Aftershock...has 38K as paternal ggs and maternal gs. Nothing wrong with him...we used a cane on heifers...calves were good...but the only heifer we got had the color dilution gene(from her dam), so she didn't stay

Lucky P. The site went down for a couple days. When they got it back up, there was a loss of 4 days of posts. I saw your previous post, it must have fallen in that hiatus.

Dixie2542":3l89oct2 said:
Bright Raven,
Just wanted to say thank you for the cowboy cut recommendation. I took ur recommenation and ordered a few straws to try this winter and spring. Fingers crossed for some thick simangus heifers...

You are welcome. I have 7 Cowboy Cut fall calves. They look good. I might add, they have very good dispositions. Good luck on the heifers.

Mossy Dell":1rqag6nt said:
Bright Raven":1rqag6nt said:
Beacon has a small frame. If these are commercial cattle being sold in Kentucky, small frame is discounted.

Yellowstone would be my choice between the two.

Frame 6 is small?
Not in my herd. He's just trying to push Cowboy Cut, he's the new Simmental bull of the month.

Mossy Dell":gjvfisfh said:
Bright Raven":gjvfisfh said:
Beacon has a small frame. If these are commercial cattle being sold in Kentucky, small frame is discounted.

Frame 6 is small?

No. A mistake on my part. I had another bull in mind. I would still favor Yellowstone.

True Grit Farms":2gga7puu said:
Mossy Dell":2gga7puu said:
Bright Raven":2gga7puu said:

Frame 6 is small?
Not in my herd. He's just trying to push Cowboy Cut, he's the new Simmental bull of the month.

Cowboy Cut is a 2012 Bull. One of the most widely used bulls in the Breed. The breeders that sell in the elite sales have mostly moved to something more exotic. Cowboy Cut is "Old Hat".

In fact, he is the most widely used bull in the Simmental breed for 2018 based on calves registered to him.

Bright Raven":2vft3s4r said:
True Grit Farms":2vft3s4r said:
Mossy Dell":2vft3s4r said:
Frame 6 is small?

Cowboy Cut is a 2012 Bull. One of the most widely used bulls in the Breed. The breeders that sell in the elite sales have mostly moved to something more exotic. Cowboy Cut is "Old Hat".

In fact, he is the most widely used bull in the Simmental breed for 2018 based on calves registered to him.
Deservedly so.

True Grit Farms":ou74lkyx said:
Bright Raven":ou74lkyx said:
True Grit Farms":ou74lkyx said:

Deservedly so.

2018 most used PB Simmental List
1. Cowboy Cut
2. Broadway - I guess not all his calves are like mine : Gigantic
3. Mr. Hoc Broker
4. Upgrade - they also come big here!
5. Beacon
6. Uno Mas - half of mine are hard headed. Difficult to break.
7. One Eyed Jack
8. Pays To Believe
9. Blaze of Glory
10. W/C loaded Up

HPF Optimizer is 20. He is 3/4. I like him as well as Cowboy Cut.

Are those bulls all black? I still can't get used to seeing black Simmies, and have trouble coming to terms with it. That's just my own little hangup though. Could also be that they just haven't really caught on up here. If they do catch on and become more common place perhaps I will begin to feel differently.

Silver":2nx59gyq said:
Are those bulls all black? I still can't get used to seeing black Simmies, and have trouble coming to terms with it. That's just my own little hangup though. Could also be that they just haven't really caught on up here. If they do catch on and become more common place perhaps I will begin to feel differently.

About 5 of those bulls have white on the face. Fundamentally, the Modern American Simmental predominantly has black pelage. A white blaze on the face is very popular currently. Jeanne has a good point below - Red Simmental Cattle represent small niche.

This is Cowboy Cut:
xkogid.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1k81mwln said:
Several of them are Heterozygous black, so you still might get reds.
It doesn't make much sense to use a Heterozygous black bull if your going after the black bonus in the commercial or registered market. In the full blood Simmental market I don't see Heterozygous as a negative it's probably a bonus.

I use a lot of hetero black bulls on my red cows, because I have a hard time finding a red bull that fits my program. Blacks are a dime a dozen as far as availabilty - reds - not so much.
I still have at least 1/3 of my herd is red.

Bright Raven":mk6ta39q said:
Red Simmental Cattle represent small niche.

Strange how things vary so much with geography. Black Simmies are definitely niche here.
I'm going to a breeders Simmental sale on Friday. I have bought a lot of bulls off this place private treaty in the past. This is their first time trying the auction sale route. I have room for one more bull, so with luck may come home with one.
You can look at what they raise and what is the norm for Simmie colouring up here on their FB page if the link I post works.
https://www.facebook.com/DeadHorseCreek/

Silver":1mywgow2 said:
Bright Raven":1mywgow2 said:
Red Simmental Cattle represent small niche.

Strange how things vary so much with geography. Black Simmies are definitely niche here.
I'm going to a breeders Simmental sale on Friday. I have bought a lot of bulls off this place private treaty in the past. This is their first time trying the auction sale route. I have room for one more bull, so with luck may come home with one.
You can look at what they raise and what is the norm for Simmie colouring up here on their FB page if the link I post works.
https://www.facebook.com/DeadHorseCreek/

I looked at his timeline. That is not the phenotype you commonly see down here. Even the red Simmental cattle down here are not like those. Lots of white - white feet, legs, totally white faces, etc. The pictures reflect the phenotype of the more traditional Simmental. They are very well muscled and heavy boned. I wonder how they are for calving ease?

Here is one of the Dead Horse Creek pictures.
14v7bkh.jpg

Their calving ease is what I would consider moderate, very similar to what we do here. They are not having 65 lb calves. According to their bull sale catalog it appears most bulls birthweights are in the 90-100 lb range, with some a little higher and some a little lower. Weaning weights of the bulls seem to be in the 1000 lb range at what looks like around 235 days plus / minus. Their cows tend to be in the 1300 lbs range.
So to my original point, to us Luddites up here these are what Simmental still are and what sell very well, so that's why it seems so strange to see the black Simmental that seems to have taken over down South. Not to say that those blacks aren't fine looking animals, they are, but it's disappointing to me to see the traditional coloured Simmie's disappearing down there.

Latest posts