Which one

Help Support CattleToday:

Brangus. They work in any enviroment. Beefmaster are great cattle too, and as mentioned before the foundation herd is not far from you, Lasater Ranch. Senepol are gonna cost you. Sebastiao De Aguiar the owner of Sacramento Farms is gonna charge you an arm and a leg for his cattle. He is not interested in selling cattle in the United States anyhow. He concentrates on South American and other Hispanic countries. Wynne Ranch is a great source for Brangus genetics, I know the whole crew very well. In fact I talk to the manager twice or more a week on the phone. There bulls are in very high demand and they have a waiting list. But feel free to call Frank Lewis or Matt Borkowski, or Matthew Wynne the owner. Plenty of Brangus breeders closer to you then Florida or any other states in the south. Check out the International Brangus Breeders Website http://gobrangus.com/ and search for breeders near you. Possibly the most recongized brangus herd in the country was in Kansas at one time. Brinks Brangus. I hope some of this helps.

Beefmaster, watch the bottom line & sheaths. Seems alot of breeders are breeding more brahma looking animals lately. I'm not a big fan of long sheaths. I would buy Beefmaster and apply the six essentials accordingly. If some dont hold up well in the cold climate then sell them and breed the ones that do. In SD, your beefmaster will probably not look like mine in TX after a couple generations do to different requirements, yet still in the six essentials.

I visited the guy at lasater ranch. I believe dale was the one. Real nice guy straight spoken doesnt bs alot just gets to the point. My biggest worry would be this though Buckaroo. I dont know for sure as i never raised brangus or beefmaster and not saying they cant competativaly perform in our climate if bred in this area and raised here. That being said i am almost postive you would still recieve a heck of a dock on the calves. Every calf i have seen or heard of seel around here with some ear gets docked substantially for the most part. That is a big deal on your end product to be honest. Now if you had the cows and crossbred them maybe it wouldnt show to much at all but if full beefmaster or brangus it would show some. Dale said thiers shows some leather and ear not alot but still show some. Might want to be able to run on grass and finish if raised them but than i dont know what carcass is like either. I say sure cant hurt nothing to try it as long as buy a small enough scale of them that you dont depend on the calves bringing every possible cent to pay for the cows. Now if you said hey if i was to buy 100 head of these and they was my only cows and i will have to make everything off them to pay for the cow and running it than i would say play it safe and go with something you know works in South Dakota. But if just trying it on a few to try it why the heck not as long as if it failed it didnt break you.

While brangus should show less brahman characteristics being 3/8 vs 1/2. I have used both. On an Angus base cow herd I'd use the beefmaster. If your cows don't have any Angus or a low %, I'd go with Brangus. All calves should be between 3/16 and 1/4 Brahma and solid black. Tough to beat that as far as growth/$ is concerned.

Flying O":2r22r97b said:
Beefmaster, watch the bottom line & sheaths. Seems alot of breeders are breeding more brahma looking animals lately. I'm not a big fan of long sheaths. I would buy Beefmaster and apply the six essentials accordingly. If some dont hold up well in the cold climate then sell them and breed the ones that do. In SD, your beefmaster will probably not look like mine in TX after a couple generations do to different requirements, yet still in the six essentials.

Aint that the truth :shock:

Latest posts