Which one interests you the most

Help Support CattleToday:

Bill Helton at Circle H has a really nice Lim Flex heifer. I'm just not into crossbred stuff, I really like the Angus and the Herefords.

I have to agree with you. I am not much for registering crossbreed cattle. Good LimFlex calves are exactly what I want my bull buyers calves to look like when he sells them. Being a Limousin breeder I do like to see how the breed I raise compliments other breeds. If you are going to grab onto another breed's coattails I would say Angus is an alright choice. If you can't beat them.... join them. I would believe Bill does have some nice cattle. I have seen some pictures of cattle he had in the past. I hope to meet him if he goes to Denver.

South Poll. The only thing I would change is to remove the Barzona and put a red Limousin in its place.

do you have any pictures of the lim/hereford cross animals red bull breeder? post some if you do please..

Naw don't got any Pictures Baldie Maker but the cross does interest me and the people i have talked to that have used this cross have all had great things to say about it. Like alot of good crosses it got dropped for a black hide. Greenwillow has some relatives that still have some old Lim x herf cows.

Red Bull Breeder":2g2yr4y0 said:
Naw don't got any Pictures Baldie Maker but the cross does interest me and the people i have talked to that have used this cross have all had great things to say about it. Like alot of good crosses it got dropped for a black hide. Greenwillow has some relatives that still have some old Lim x herf cows.

Yes, got a 15 year old one out back that I got from said relative. She is one of the younger ones, but she's slated for hamburger this month. ;-) She raised a dandy heifer calf last year, but the bull broke her down in the hips when she rebred, so she cripples around.

He still has a couple (if I'm not mistaken) of his original F1 Lim Herf cows that were born in the eighties. Last time I was over there, I believe I recognized one or two from my youth. They were at least so old that he couldn't tell me just how old they were.

Limflex has my vote, this is my first year with an angus bull on my limmi cows,was reading an article on limousin live, and five rivers cattle feeding co said the cross they look for is angus x continental breed, most consistent at eating, grading, and yielding, like jffransen said if you cant beet em join em.

The Black Herefords interest me. Not that I really agree with what they are doing its just interesting. Seeing others comments about it, having an association base their whole breed off of color, and their ads in the Hereford America paper.

There is a little more to Five Rivers comments than just the beef.Most any British continental x cross would do the same thing as the angus x.

Sorry Redbull, Im not as good as some folks on here at copy and pasting whole articles, I rode the shortbus too.

Thats ok haase i believe you were right in what the people at five rivers said. And i think they are right I just think that most any other british continental cross would work pretty well. Limi x Herf, one of crosses around here years ago was Char x Herf.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3czyx3rs said:
Of all the new composite breeds that seem to be popping up everywhere, which one interests or intrigues you the most?
Based on carcass merit I prefer Simm-Angus with the Angus as the Sire-- because it does make a difference --since after all 50- 60 % of the qualities for carcass value come from the Sire --not the Dam.

4CTophand":u56nu9us said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":u56nu9us said:
Of all the new composite breeds that seem to be popping up everywhere, which one interests or intrigues you the most?
Based on carcass merit I prefer Simm-Angus with the Angus as the Sire-- because it does make a difference --since after all 50- 60 % of the qualities for carcass value come from the Sire --not the Dam.
if you use just angus? if it's just 50% why would'nt simm over angus yeild the same

Yes, got a 15 year old one out back that I got from said relative. She is one of the younger ones, but she's slated for hamburger this month. ;-) She raised a dandy heifer calf last year, but the bull broke her down in the hips when she rebred, so she cripples around.

He still has a couple (if I'm not mistaken) of his original F1 Lim Herf cows that were born in the eighties. Last time I was over there, I believe I recognized one or two from my youth. They were at least so old that he couldn't tell me just how old they were.[/quote]

I think it may be time to get some younger cows --any cows born in the 80's are now toothless and 20 yrs old -- you got a petting zoo over there?

4CTophand":2wjay4gi said:

He still has a couple (if I'm not mistaken) of his original F1 Lim Herf cows that were born in the eighties. Last time I was over there, I believe I recognized one or two from my youth. They were at least so old that he couldn't tell me just how old they were.

I think it may be time to get some younger cows --any cows born in the 80's are now toothless and 20 yrs old -- you got a petting zoo over there?[/quote]

I don't. My oldest breeding cows are 8. My uncle has cows from two to twenty years old. This old 15 year old still has teeth BTW. If the cow is still staying in good flesh and bringing in a dandy calf every year, who cares how old she is? And these could still pass for seven or eight. Every heifer you retain from a cow like that adds those longlived genetics to your herd. Do you realize how much replacement heifer development costs this type of cow can save you?

Latest posts