Which NO TIll Grain Drill to Buy???

Help Support CattleToday:

Jacob

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a no till grain drill and wanted to know your experience with the different makes and models and the do's and don'ts. Here is a little about our operation. In the fall we will plant Oats, rye, rye grass and clover. The plan is to graze the Perl millet down low and drill into the millet. In the spring we will graze the winter pasture down and drill in the millet. On the Bahia grass we will graze short and plat rye grass and clover. I know there are lots of drills out there and we are leaning towards the Great Plains however I have heard that sometimes it don't do real good on pastures.

I have planted thousands of acres with a great plains drill. only major complaint back then (90's -00's)was the bearings in coulters seemed to wear out to quick. we were always replacing them.

Does anyone know anything about the sunflower drills? I found a good used one that only has 10 hours on it.

Jacob":1eh70u1k said:
Does anyone know anything about the sunflower drills? I found a good used one that only has 10 hours on it.
If it's seems too good to be true it probably is.
I have a Haybuster 107 with the small seed and warm season grass hoppers and augers. I've drilled timothy, fescue, clover, OG, sunflowers, sohrgum, millet and corn. Got no compaints about how it worked for everything.

M5farm":1ahjus21 said:
I have planted thousands of acres with a great plains drill. only major complaint back then (90's -00's)was the bearings in coulters seemed to wear out to quick. we were always replacing them.
You wont go wrong with a Great Plains drill!!

dun":1d7l11n8 said:
Jacob":1d7l11n8 said:
If it's seems too good to be true it probably is.
I have a Haybuster 107 with the small seed and warm season grass hoppers and augers. I've drilled timothy, fescue, clover, OG, sunflowers, sohrgum, millet and corn. Got no compaints about how it worked for everything.
Haybuster here also.

I forgot the Big Bluestem, Little Bluestem, Side Oats Gamma, native forbs mixture, also Marshall Ryegrass, winter wheat and Brome

Have only used 'em to no-till grass in.
Local NRCS has had Great Plains drills for rent for years - always work great for me.
Last 2 or 3 times I've needed to drill, I've rented the Tye (Pasture Pleaser?) drill from the local Southern States - won't do that again. Just does not do the job that the GP does; harder to calibrate, doesn't place/cover seed well.
Don't see how you could go wrong with the Great Plains drill...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Haybuster line of drills are built by Great Plains... They are considered their economical line.

I have a Great Plains no-till 3pt. Hitch style I do custom pasture seeding with. It has done about 3,500 acres and since it is only 6' wide that's a lot of rolling. Been a great drill and I have done nothing to it. It needs coulters now but that's nothing for the acres it's been over. I wish I had Dun's drill about a month ago I did a bunch of NWSG for a customer and didn't realize they make a special box for that. That stuff is a b----- to plant! I ended up broadcasting it. All in all though the Great Plains is hard to beat and I bet you can get it with the native seed box if you need to plant that.

TN Cattle Man":1ev9k97q said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the Haybuster line of drills are built by Great Plains... They are considered their economical line.
Haybuster has been Haybuster since 1966. They are not made by Great Plains. I like both but at the time there were a few things I liked better about the haybuster. I looked at and priced both and decided on the Haybuster.

I have done a pretty good job with an old John Deere drill. Single disc. I cannot remember the number. It has galvanized seed boxes. Also the box for small seed. I usually drill in tam u rye grass and crimson clover.

Thanks guys this is great information and helps with my research. I don't like relying on just the sales guy and think it's important to listen to the good and bad of people using this equipment in real life. I expect one will last for 20 to 30 years with the amount I plant each year. Thanks again and keep the feedback coming.

I have used a Tye Pasture Pleaser several times and it seemed to work good, but I believe I would go with one like Kenny said.

6007556_1_l.jpg

jltrent":15hnsp3x said:
I have used a Tye Pasture Pleaser several times and it seemed to work good, but I believe I would go with one like Kenny said.

6007556_1_l.jpg
I believe Sunflower bought the Tye line of drills. We rented 2 drills from the state last year and they had both Tye and Sunflower. The drills were identical. They are the ones who said Sunflowed had bought Tye. The drills did a good job.
Great Plains would be my first choice.

Well we purchased a new 10ft Great Plains as the used sunflower deal feel through. My question does anyone put extra weight on the weight bar and if so how much? I'm excited to try it out and see if we have a better stand using this drill. I'm trying to decide if I want to drill my oats and rye into the Millet or if I would be better of disking then drilling.

Latest posts