Which member is this ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Old rancher I worked for years ago said you don't raise your voice or dust when working cows. The slowest you can go is the fastest it will get done. The real secret is to make the cow think it is their idea to go the direction you want them to go.
I went to a quiet cattle handling (get a free ribeye) meeting. The speaker made several good common sense points about how to move cattle.
At lunch I cornered the speaker and told him he had made some good points,but I sort at a sale barn and wasn't quite sure how you could implement his technique in that fast pace situation. He said "oh, this won't work on newly co-mingled cattle. They don't know who the leader is yet."

I used to run cattle with my cousin who has three boys. Always a mess, boys with their head up their ass, cousin screaming at them. Now I get my 68 year old friend to help, talks slow and who has one gear and that one is pretty low. Exactly what the Dr. ordered when working cows. More of a horseman, he grew up working around cows, knows where to be and what to do.

Old rancher I worked for years ago said you don't raise your voice or dust when working cows. The slowest you can go is the fastest it will get done. The real secret is to make the cow think it is their idea to go the direction you want them to go.

This is something I learned the hard way (I was a born and bred city girl), and yowza, it works. BUT, I have an old husband (OK, I'm old, too, but smarter) who uses a long ski pole as a walking stick, and he always feels like he needs to come and help me when I'm trying to bring a cow in for something other than food. When the cow is headed his direction to go around him, he THROWS THE SKI POLE in front of them, which just scares the crap out of them and they start running. Once their adrenaline is flowing, it's all over until they have time to calm down. I have told him not to do this so many times, I can't even count... He always says, "I was just trying to stop them." Argh. He IS slow, though. Now if I could just get him to lose the stick, and not by throwing it at the cow.

Little update on loading the calves. Got 'em caught & sorted, easy-peasy. I was pushing 5 calves down the alley when a heifer inside the trailer decided to jump ship, back into the alley. Mr. TC was standing by the alley and all he could think to do was yell "Stay!". Da hell did he just say?!?! These are not giant dawgs, Sweetie! So, I had to back all of them to the trap, get the heifer turned around & get 'em all back in. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Little update on loading the calves. Got 'em caught & sorted, easy-peasy. I was pushing 5 calves down the alley when a heifer inside the trailer decided to jump ship, back into the alley. Mr. TC was standing by the alley and all he could think to do was yell "Stay!". Da hell did he just say?!?! These are not giant dawgs, Sweetie! So, I had to back all of them to the trap, get the heifer turned around & get 'em all back in. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

One time when i was trying to load the psycho cow on the trailer (ended up shooting her) and instead of getting on the trailer busted several boards to the runway of my barn and escaped. As the cow was going through the opening my wife is yelling "NO!…No!….No!…Stop!…Stop!"

The cow isn't going to listen anyways but certainly not after busting through the side of the barn like the Kool-Aid Man.