Which member is this ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle can bring out the best and the worse in me, just depends on the day and how they act. I'm not generally a cusser but dealing with cattle when they act stupid makes me say things that'll put a sailor to shame. My preacher has cattle, he's a very calm man, I always wonder what it's like when he has to deal with stupid ones.

What @SBMF 2015 said! Hubby used to get a little testy when working or rounding up cattle, which is one reason he's now permanently sidelined. My crew that helps me work cattle has been with me for years and we have it down to a science. There is no yelling, no running, no cussing. The kids use pool noodles to sort the cattle. And yet, there is a lot of laughter, because it's actually fun.

Catching, sorting, loading & hauling my weaners tomorrow. That will be a one-person job (me). Because slower is almost always faster. Mr. TC gets to drive;).

Thankfully my wife has never sworn out a warrant for harsh talk / domestic disputes during rounding up cattle or working them .

I've got a couple 3/4" - 1" persimmon saplings I dried out. I've had them on the back of the truck and mule for 6 years or so. Never had a sorting stick of any kind last anywhere near that long.
My "bull" sticks are 5/8" fiberglass fence posts cut to 6 0" , then baseball bat grips added. We use them as butt bars in the alley when you can't reach the real bars.

Last edited:
There's a reason I sort by my self for the most part.

I do it with just me and my son.

That domestic abuse confusion wasn't me. My wife is a wonderful woman, but she's a city girl. I took her along to help me once. We were easing the cattle along when I looked to the side just in time to see one of them walk right past her while she had her head down looking at her phone. Ever since then I leave her at home.

I do it with just me and my son.

That domestic abuse confusion wasn't me. My wife is a wonderful woman, but she's a city girl. I took her along to help me once. We were easing the cattle along when I looked to the side just in time to see one of them walk right past her while she had her head down looking at her phone. Ever since then I leave her at home.
I let my nine yr old son help me sort last week. He did ok, but the cows had a fit. They aren't used to someone 4' tall with a high voice. The cow were running and snaking by him while he ran the gate. It was like I had erased the last ten years of culling on disposition. Not going to try that again for a while.
I sorted 6 mrkt cows and 2 bred hfrs out of the same 60 pairs this morning. It probably took me 30minutes, but no one was snorty.

Latest posts