Which is grain mix is a better buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcollins

Reaction score
So I can get rolled corn for $288 a ton or I can get 50/50 barley and corn with 6% molasasses for $325 ton. Opinions please?

Thanks

alot depends on the protine content of the barly corn mix.money wise is probly go with the rolled corn.

What are you planning on feeding it to? What are you wanting to accomplish?

Crowderfarms":lumnp6gp said:
Both sound high to me.
What are you telling me crowder don't you charge $115 per ton for the corn and another $173 per ton to roll it? They are just pricing it out all to go for one price streamlining it for the customer. If you are charging any less to roll it than that you will never stay in business long. Whats the matter with you? Do you enjoy sleeping at night or something?

somn":1bsb7ztx said:
Crowderfarms":1bsb7ztx said:
Both sound high to me.
What are you telling me crowder don't you charge $115 per ton for the corn and another $173 per ton to roll it? They are just pricing it out all to go for one price streamlining it for the customer. If you are charging any less to roll it than that you will never stay in business long. Whats the matter with you? Do you enjoy sleeping at night or something?

:nod: :nod: :nod: :lol2:

I'm planning on use the grain to finish a couple jersey steers and hol. I'm new at this so I was looking for your expert advise. Part of the price is get the grain in large tote instead of bulk. $30 per tote and it will take a two tote per ton.

I can get whole corn cheaper but I thought that the rolled corn would be better for them.

Whole corn will go right through them - you'd be wasting your money. It needs to be steam rolled or ground to get max benefit for your dollar. I feed out about a dozen dairy steers every year and I used to feed a steam rolled COB mix but have switched to a pelletized mix. I can get a 16% calf grower pellet for $212 per ton - it's just about the same grain mixture - Corn, Oats & Barley but its ground and pelletized with some alfalfa It's just my opinion that the finely ground feeds in the pellets are more digestable and they are able to utilize a greater % of the feed value. Bottom line - I've had better gain rates with the pelletized feed and it's considerably cheaper. Win/Win.

I figured the whole corn was a bad idea... I will call the feed supplier about pellet feed. Maybe I didn't ask the right questions. How many tons do you have to buy to get 212 a ton? Is that delivered price or pick up?

Thanks Brent

Two things: First, I don't know if you're intending to use the grain as the total diet. If so, grains by themselves are not a good diet at all. A diet of grains only wouldn't be balanced or probably even safe with all the starches.

Second, whole corn can definitely be fed and utilized to a very high degree (this has been hashed several times on this board). Just make sure it's balanced by adding an appropriate concentrate/supplement. Also, start with a lower feeding rate and work them up to allow the rumen to adjust.

It won't be their whole diet. I'm still going to feed them a grass /alf mix. Than some grain to fat them up. I've been told to start them out at 6pds a day and work up to 12pds a day. I figure I will feed them for about 60 days.

Straight grain and forage w/o a concentrate/supplement to balance it won't be very good nutrition. Grain is a good ingredient, but by itself (even with forage) has quite a few nutritional shortcomings and imbalances.

I would get a mix of 60% corn 40% barley, forget the molasses and throw in a 32% CP pellet. I get that exact mix for about $200 a ton.

I usually do the same thing you are talking about. I'll run my butcher calves out with the replacement heifers all summer until the first of August, get them grass fat then pull them in and feed grain for 60 to 90 days.

You can mix and match the % of corn and barley to cheapen it up so the protein pellet isn't as expensive.

sjr725":91kalydy said:
Whole corn will go right through them - you'd be wasting your money. It needs to be steam rolled or ground to get max benefit for your dollar. I feed out about a dozen dairy steers every year and I used to feed a steam rolled COB mix but have switched to a pelletized mix. I can get a 16% calf grower pellet for $212 per ton - it's just about the same grain mixture - Corn, Oats & Barley but its ground and pelletized with some alfalfa It's just my opinion that the finely ground feeds in the pellets are more digestable and they are able to utilize a greater % of the feed value. Bottom line - I've had better gain rates with the pelletized feed and it's considerably cheaper. Win/Win.
They will receive just as much of the available nutrients from whole shelled corn as they do the rolled corn. Having the corn rolled is just an expense.

sjr725":34z7j361 said:
Whole corn will go right through them - you'd be wasting your money.

Completely incorrect statement!

It needs to be steam rolled or ground to get max benefit for your dollar.

No, it doesn't. Whole, cracked, ground - it all delivers the same amount of protein, and energy. We have routinely pastured cattle on corn stalks/left over ear corn, and they utilized it just fine. This is one of those old wives tales based on seeing whole corn in the manure.

Rolled corn is better than whole corn; but is it 100% better? THAT I really doubt. Rolling is going to increase the digestibility; but I would be shocked if it improves it more than 30%.

I would look more towards a mixed, or pelleted feed. We feed a pellet called performance bull, it is alfalfa,corn, soybean meal, soy hulls,....... it is right at $200 a ton. Or you can get straight rolled corn for $170 a ton with less protein.

Latest posts