Which heifers to keep?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
I thought I would ask the thoughts of some others as which 2 of these heifers to keep. Thanks.
205259899ByxnUw_th.jpg

Born 5/21/04
205260145VkYphx_th.jpg

Born 7/2/04
205260343uxReBq_th.jpg

Born 5/29/04
I can't figure out how to get these any larger with out going too large.

When I tried to look at them it said I wasn't the owner of the album

dun

Dun,

I was in there trying to edit it to make them larger. I am new to posting pics. Can I send them to you to get your thoughts?

Wish I could but need some cash later this year and also have 2 other heifers to keep that are not related to my current bull.

tom4018":2z64ncp1 said:
Dun,

I was in there trying to edit it to make them larger. I am new to posting pics. Can I send them to you to get your thoughts?

I save them and tried to make them larger but they got too blurry to me of much use.
My guide to keeping heifers is if I would be willing to pay someone to buy them they're candidates to keep. Things that aren;t obvious from the pictures are diposition, weaning and birth weights, what the dam and sire contributed. Can't judge width or spring of rib or muscleing.

dun

If you would buy them from someone else they are good to keep. Go back and look at the momma again. Choose the most feminine looking ones (all else being equal). They should look like girls. If you look at them and one strikes you as being steery looking she would be the one to sell. Go with your gut-if something doesn't look right,even if you can't define what it is that may be reason enough to pass on keeping her around. Also attitude and disposition would be top of the list of traits for me. I guess in the end you just gotta like the ones you choose. Just my 2 cents worth.

I like 5/21 and 5/29. Do you breed for spring or fall calves? Maybe the July calf won't make weight by then? The 5/21 (from the pic) looks to have good depth and a nice top line. Good stretch on the 5/29. The younger one needs to grow a bit. I think it is hard too choose right away. I like to wait till after weaning, who put's on nice weight, isn't flighty in the lot, etc.

the may calves look best, the younger one may just be young. she may turn out ok. What kid of bull are you gunna use on them?

I like the white face..the brown cow. she is good straight and long in the body. the black may heifter looks good in size, a good hind looks larger framed, but pics can be decieving. The july calf again good and straight and long in the body.

They all look good...a picture never tells the whole story. If you like one of their momma better or if one has a bad attitude...all those things count. donna

donnaIL":35gars3f said:
but pics can be decieving.

That was my problem. You can pretty well pick out crappy calves in pictures, but it's hard to tell the really good ones if you're trying to select between several good ones.

dun

Here is a link to the pics online.
http://community.webshots.com/album/206208580ZayLoY

Tag number's 6 and 7 were born in May while #11 was in July.
They are all out of the same Angus sire.
#6 is out of a mixed cow(possibly jersey x angus).
#7 is out of a mixed cow(Hereford x Charlais x Angus) and is tied for the spookiest with #6.
#11 is full Angus and is the gentlest.

We didn't know whether to try breeding them to their sire or trade sires. What do you think?

i agree 11 looks a lot better in these photos. i would probably keep the two blacks just for uniformity reasons since you said the gray w/face is sort of spooky. However, i noticed you have a gray cow and a red calf so uniformity may not be a good reason. i think we've all pretty much agreed that #6 is here to stay.

tom4018":2biedjop said:
I thought I would ask the thoughts of some others as which 2 of these heifers to keep. Thanks.
205259899ByxnUw_th.jpg

Born 5/21/04
205260145VkYphx_th.jpg

Born 7/2/04
205260343uxReBq_th.jpg

Born 5/29/04
I can't figure out how to get these any larger with out going too large.
I'd keep the bigger black and the whiteface.

There are a few variables I'd consider when making a decision on which to keep.

1. The older two heifers will be breeding and therefore hopefully producing earlier than the later calf. Making you some money sooner might cause you to lean towards the older pair.

2. What will you be ultimately be crossing them with? (As mature cows - not just for their first breeding.) If you're going for a set of black calves to take to the sale barn and crossing your mature cattle with black bulls, then keep the pair of blacks.

The oldest black is a given to me. The brown heifer is decent; not as much substance as I'd like to see, but will breed earlier than the youngest. The youngest black is also a nice heifer, but as forementioned will take longer to mature and make you some dineros.

Good luck with your heifers. Take care.

If they were mine and I couldn't make up my mind now I'd hang on to them all until I needed the cash. That way you can see how the younger calf will grow off, even a month will give you a better look.
We normally wean a few more heifers than we want to keep for replacements and then select ( cull? ) the ones that aren't growing off as well or seem to have gotten high headed to sell then. Spending a few weeks in a corral will let you know which ones are prone to be pen shy.

;-)

Latest posts