Which hay baler?

Help Support CattleToday:

somn

Reaction score
Angus/Brangus":o5e0ugit said:
I have 25 acres of bermuda I would like to bale. With hay prices at 55-60 dollars per bale, I'm thinking of just buying a used baler. What would be the best choice and what should I spend? I could probably do three cuttings a year and have barn space available for about 80 round bales. Thanks!
Call me crazy but unless you can find a really good baler really cheap you are better off to have it hired out. 80 bales per year aren't worth the frustration that will come along with owning someone elses problematic baler. But just the same 60 dollars a bale buys alot of parts. Problem with that is those breakdowns take time and that is not something you can buy at the tractor dealership along with the box full of parts.

I've looked at a big square baler before. Twice the purchase cost and I have not seen a model that net wraps yet. I won't bale hay anymore if I can't net wrap it. So until those two things change I will continue to go round.

Around here you can find good used balers from 1200.00 on up.I'd keep my eyes open for a Ford Baler, or a New Holland. Both are still easy to get parts for. As far as rolling your own Hay, let someone else get their billfold beat up, being you're not going to be putting up more than the amount you posted.

I just bought some baling equipment because I was tired of depending on someone else and tired of feeding junk hay. I was able to purchase small, loose rolled round bales for $17 a roll which sounds pretty good but it's too much if it's junk hay. I only have 75 acres and 30 cows and some horses but i'd rather be in control of my grass. i got a john deere 375 baler and a ziggler mower for 10,000 and did dome swapping to get a john deere rake. I'm optimistic about the coming year. Good Luck.

You will love the Vermeer 5410 Rebel round baler. You find in dry hay, 15% moisture, the most of the 5x4 bales will weigh 1,200 LBS. The 5410 has drop and go! That means no turning off of the PTO to dump the bale. Yes the standard Vermeer 5410 will bale silage. We have customers baling over 5000 bales a year with their Vermeer Rebel balers and they last 30 years easy with proper care.
Rebel5410.jpg

Similar but differnt. What would be the going price for a 1991 JD 435 with net wrap and all of the options other then the dilage kit?
Average condition, everything ap[pears to work fine. Hard to really tell since we don;t have a lot of hay to bale around here right now

Thanks
dun

I would by something that can be serviced locally and you can find parts for without driving half a day. JMO

Angus/Brangus":2u3h2wsr said:
Thanks Ironpeddler,
I'm looking forward to it all. I've since upgraded my baler order to include netwrap and the monitor. I've been to the CCM site many times. Is the Hayymax brand holding up o.k?

The HayMAXX disc mowers are doing great. They are basically a combination of the Lely/Vermeer shaft drive style mowers at thousands of $$$ less.
Haymax%20Mower%20014s.jpg

Angus/Brangus":9z5ey4w6 said:
I checked out the New Idea and the JD and had no objections to either one except the small town I'm near doesn't service them.

The HayMax has a very attractive price but dependability is also important. I would like to hear from some consumers who have had worked this brand for more than a year. Tunutti (sp?) was another brand I heard about that might also be a little less expensive. I hear there might be some sort of link between Vermeer and Tunutti on the hay rakes but I haven't verified this.

I have a set of Tunutti rakes and have been working them for years.

NamVet_Farmer44":1lnc9m6h said:
Angus/Brangus":1lnc9m6h said:
Tunutti (sp?)

I believe it's Tonutti...excuse me if i'm wrong :)

Some of the Rakes and tedders are made by tonutti and some are made by Lely/Vermeer. The Vermeer tedders do have a slightly different gear ratio than the similar Tonutti product. The Vermeer wheel rakes use a different rake wheel with a straight tine. The Tonutti has a swept-back tine. There is also differences in the rake wheel hub design. The Vermeer hub has some extra reinforcements that the Tonutti does not have.

The Vermeer disc mowers use Lely transmissions and Vermeer frames made in Pella Iowa. The HayMAXX disc mower uses the same design in their transmission as Vermeer.

Latest posts