which gps for dogs ?

Help Support CattleToday:

mayesfarm

Reaction score
Monday morning my 13 year old son's border collie was stolen. After 8 hours of searching and thousands of facebook posts and shares they dropped him back off by the highway in front of our house . I know that the odds of this happening again are slim to none but I want to be able to locate him if something like this ever happens again . I thought that a microchip would be the answer until I looked into them and I think that the big trackers that we use on the coon dogs are too big to leave on him all the time. I am looking for recommendations .

GPS is a good thing but it is easily removed - and all experienced dog thieves will do this as soon as they pick the dog up. To the best of my knowledge there are none that can be inserted into the body cavity - yet.

Suspect it was a local rat that did this to you. When my border collie was stolen 5 years ago I went to the main suspect and told her - quietly and very, very politely - that if the dog was not back within 24 hours some night I would come by and burn the house down with them in it. I would go to jail with my head held high. It was not a threat it was a promise - and they would never know when it was going to happen. She knew my background and knew from my very quiet manner that I was dead serious.

Dog came back inside the time limit. No one else has had a dog stolen around here in this community since that day. Prior to that it was a common happening.

Have a chat with a few folks in your region - police, dog catcher and local rescue outfits - ask around and you will find they all know someone who is in on the dog stealing biz - those dogs often get sold to experimental outfits for drug testing.

Chip your dog - because a GPS can be removed - but the experimental folks all scan your dog prior to using it for experimental stuff - at least the reputable ones do.

Mine has a note attached to the national number - yeah - spend the money and register it on the national data base. Otherwise it might only be listed on the local data base. The note states categorically:

"If the person who presented this Border Collie does not have the last name XXXXX - this dog is stolen. Call police immediately. Reward offered."

I looked at this site and they are all collar mounts or similar - I could not find one that was placed in the animal.

https://www.thepawtracker.com/blogs/the ... 6-reviewed

So - chip the dog anyways. It truly will be your last line of defense.

Glad you go the pup back. In this day and age I have to admit having a good dog around seems to beat having a heck of a pile of people around. Tell your son I am truly happy for him - but it is also a lesson. Anything of value can and often will be taken. If the dog is out - he should be out too.

My best - and give that dog a pat on the head for me - I would never have owned a Border Collie but one was "forced upon me" - now I would never be without one.

My best.

L

mayesfarm":2hkafoky said:
Monday morning my 13 year old son's border collie was stolen. After 8 hours of searching and thousands of facebook posts
and shares they dropped him back off by the highway in front of our house .
So the dog was never really stolen.... he was missing (probably due to negligence by a child owner).... and returned.
I know many years ago of a beautiful Schnauzer on a busy highway that was nearly hit by a truck.
Then a car nearly hit him and stopped, the passenger got out and rescued the dog. It had no tag, but was obviously
a well kept, nicely groomed pet of a negligent owner. There were no driveways leading to the highway and no way
of knowing where he had come from or why such a nice dog had been abandoned. The driver arrived home thinking
he had a great new pet. But his older and wiser sister said NO, he has to be reported to the police as a possible lost
dog and taken to the shelter and if unclaimed then at the end of a week he's yours, and so it was.

Then in the next day or two a (goofy) woman contacted the police and said 2 men in a green car had stolen her Schnauzer and of course the hero driver was never rewarded, only accused, and never ever got a Schnauzer. :(

Tell your Dxxn 13 year old to take care of his Dxxm Collie!..... sheesh.

p.s.
Lassie never used GPS.

Logar thanks for your info this gives me a lot to think about . SOB I am glad that you chimed in to prove that you obviously know every thing . You don't pick on my very responsible kid . I damn sure aint asking a know it all yankee for a smart a$$ answer .

You're right it's not the child's fault.........
How did you determine the dog was STOLEN ..... was there a ransom note?
Isn't it possible they heard it was missing and returned it to the spot Where They Found It abandoned along side
of the highway rather than face an accusing woman all worked up with misinformation on facebook?

p.s.
My supposed smartaxx answer was all true and I really did want to keep that Schnauzer. Instead I did everything right
and still got accused of theft by a woman that wasn't responsible enough to keep her dog off a highway.
Some people just see the worst in others, regardless of the facts.

The dog was in a 6 foot tall chainlink pen with a metal roof sitting on a concrete slab that is 2 feet wider all the way around than the pen with a snap for a safety latch between my house and shop which are over 100 yards from a major hwy . He was put in long enough to fill a 25 gallon spray tank on a truck . Returned to snap and dog gone . Many facebook shares ( local animal control has over 4 thousand followers ) several doors being knocked on and a lot of the 4-h kids in the county searching our community and he shows up tied to a fence post half way up my drive way just after dark. We had 95 + degree temps that day and he was not thirsty , hungry nor dirty and panting . NOT WHERE HE BELONGS ? NOT STOLEN ? WHATEVER ! Do you guys give everyone who is not a " GURU" a hard time ?

mayesfarm":2afatil7 said:
The dog was in a 6 foot tall chainlink pen with a metal roof sitting on a concrete slab that is 2 feet wider all the way around than the pen with a snap for a safety latch between my house and shop which are over 100 yards from a major hwy . He was put in long enough to fill a 25 gallon spray tank on a truck . Returned to snap and dog gone . Many facebook shares ( local animal control has over 4 thousand followers ) several doors being knocked on and a lot of the 4-h kids in the county searching our community and he shows up tied to a fence post half way up my drive way just after dark. We had 95 + degree temps that day and he was not thirsty , hungry nor dirty and panting . NOT WHERE HE BELONGS ? NOT STOLEN ? WHATEVER ! Do you guys give everyone who is not a " GURU" a hard time ?
No . sob is the resident azzhole . And apparently still pizzed they wouldn't tie pork chop around his neck so the dog would play with him as a child.

mayesfarm":18mxs7zk said:
Monday morning my 13 year old son's border collie was stolen.
After 8 hours...... they dropped him back off by the highway in front of our house .
I am looking for recommendations .
I recommend you get your stories straight.

Morning is before noon.... 8 hours = 2pm - 7:59 pm at the latest... now your story changes to returned him After Dark.
Sunset at 9:03 here today
First version they dropped him of by the highway... Now you say he was tied to fence post halfway up your driveway.

p.s.
Which is more likely?
Coming in broad daylight to steal a border collie (nothing else) penned next to house/shop only to return him the
same day or the gate was inadvertently left half closed and the dog got out?
A changing story reeks of lies, some people must just find it easier to accuse others than admit fault.

Butch you win .... I only expected to be interrogated by law enforcement sorry that I did not check a clock , the almanac , the signs of the zodiac and the exact footage before asking a simple question . I am proud that you get online and insult children , accuse people of being liars and are an expert on events that happen in TN while you claim to be in MN . You are truly Superman !
M-5 thanks for clearing that up !

Truth always wins.
Big difference between dog being dumped on highway in daylight and tied to post after dark or stolen vs ran away.
But nice try..... add a cougar and 9mm bullet holes in the head board to the story and ya might have something.

Latest posts