which feed ration

Help Support CattleToday:

arkie 74

Reaction score
I was wondering about which feed ration would be best for replacement heifers? Heifers are weighing 800 to 850 angus cross, and are one to two months bred. First ration is 1/3 corn gluten pellets and 1/3 soy hull pellets and 1/3 cracked corn. Second 1/2 corn gluten pellets and 1/2 soy hull pellets. Third is 50% soy hull pellets and 15% dried distillers grain and 35% cracked corn. Also at what amount per day? Trace Mineral free choice.

Thanks Arkie

Whichever is cheapest. With decent hay or stockpiled forage they shouldn;t even need the grain.

What type or quality is the roughage?

I think it's OK to feed them a couple pounds a day. I would mix in a little mineral and vitamins.

I would feed about 13% protein and I agree, whatever is cheaper.

Thanks for the advice. They get a bermuda and mixed grass hay fertilized and sprayed. What we've had tested before was 8 to 11 protein tdn 58 to 62. Also hay is barn keep and will be free choice. The guy at the feed mill said not to add vitamins and minerals to a ration with a high percentage ration of pellets. He said they wouldn't get a constant amount. He said to offer it free choice.

Arkie 74, That sounds like a good plan. Free choice hay [your hay sounds good] And feeding vitamins and mineral free choice is also good. You don't need to feed much grain. Couple pounds per day per head won't hurt and it will keep them tamed up and easy to handle. Good luck.