Which Direction To Go

Help Support CattleToday:

Pnw Farmer

Reaction score
I'm going to guess that there's no right or wrong answer on this one but I thought I'd pick the forum's brain. I came across a fire sale situation on some animals that I think I could cover the cost of half or more of our hay for next winter. I've got a couple scenarios with them which are these: we have pasture coming out our ears right now, tons of rain this spring and lower temps has made for some excellent grass/clover feed. Scenario one consists of getting these animals, put them on the pasture for a month or so to get it down then head to the sale with them. Scenario two I'd just head straight from the seller to the closest saleyard, net 50-100% over paid price, and hay the pasture. Scenario three I'd keep one pair with a steer calf, sell the other animals, hay half the pasture then sell the cow and weaned calf next winter. The pastures got a nice shot of fertilizer this spring and they'll have irrigation on them after haying if I go that route. Has anybody ever thought they had pasture out the yang, kept a few extra only for it to bite them at the end of summer? I've got some feeder wild oat hay that I'd like to get used up before next winter so I've got a little surplus stashed away in case the pasture doesn't hold. Last thing I want to do though is overgraze some really nice irrigated pasture ground and cause long term damage on it. This isn't a truckload of cattle situation, only going to make a $1000 or so but that goes a long way in our household. The cows we've got currently are sectioned off on about 4 acres right now and not keeping up so I've got to decide what to do with the pasture we've been keeping in reserve, I'd like to hay it before it begins drying down to save the nutritional value it contains right now unless the pasture can support the new animals for a month then sold. Thanks in advance.

Farmer

I'm going to guess that there's no right or wrong answer on this one but I thought I'd pick the forum's brain. I came across a fire sale situation on some animals that I think I could cover the cost of half or more of our hay for next winter. I've got a couple scenarios with them which are these: we have pasture coming out our ears right now, tons of rain this spring and lower temps has made for some excellent grass/clover feed. Scenario one consists of getting these animals, put them on the pasture for a month or so to get it down then head to the sale with them. Scenario two I'd just head straight from the seller to the closest saleyard, net 50-100% over paid price, and hay the pasture. Scenario three I'd keep one pair with a steer calf, sell the other animals, hay half the pasture then sell the cow and weaned calf next winter. The pastures got a nice shot of fertilizer this spring and they'll have irrigation on them after haying if I go that route. Has anybody ever thought they had pasture out the yang, kept a few extra only for it to bite them at the end of summer? I've got some feeder wild oat hay that I'd like to get used up before next winter so I've got a little surplus stashed away in case the pasture doesn't hold. Last thing I want to do though is overgraze some really nice irrigated pasture ground and cause long term damage on it. This isn't a truckload of cattle situation, only going to make a $1000 or so but that goes a long way in our household. The cows we've got currently are sectioned off on about 4 acres right now and not keeping up so I've got to decide what to do with the pasture we've been keeping in reserve, I'd like to hay it before it begins drying down to save the nutritional value it contains right now unless the pasture can support the new animals for a month then sold. Thanks in advance.

Farmer
If you don't intend to keep them... why would you feed them for a month?

I'm going to guess that there's no right or wrong answer on this one but I thought I'd pick the [forum's brain.] I came across a fire sale situation on some animals that I think I could cover the cost of half or more of our hay for next winter. I've got a couple scenarios with them which are these: we have pasture coming out our ears right now, tons of rain this spring and lower temps has made for some excellent grass/clover feed. Scenario one consists of getting these animals, put them on the pasture for a month or so to get it down then head to the sale with them. Scenario two I'd just head straight from the seller to the closest saleyard, net 50-100% over paid price, and hay the pasture. Scenario three I'd keep one pair with a steer calf, sell the other animals, hay half the pasture then sell the cow and weaned calf next winter. The pastures got a nice shot of fertilizer this spring and they'll have irrigation on them after haying if I go that route. Has anybody ever thought they had pasture out the yang, kept a few extra only for it to bite them at the end of summer? I've got some feeder wild oat hay that I'd like to get used up before next winter so I've got a little surplus stashed away in case the pasture doesn't hold. Last thing I want to do though is overgraze some really nice irrigated pasture ground and cause long term damage on it. This isn't a truckload of cattle situation, only going to make a $1000 or so but that goes a long way in our household. The cows we've got currently are sectioned off on about 4 acres right now and not keeping up so I've got to decide what to do with the pasture we've been keeping in reserve, I'd like to hay it before it begins drying down to save the nutritional value it contains right now unless the pasture can support the new animals for a month then sold. Thanks in advance.

Farmer
[forum's brain] if not oxymoronic definitely optimistic

With what hay is selling for this year. I would sell the cows. Make hay. Sell the hay. And laugh all the way to the bank.
I have heard of grassy alfalfa in south central WA selling for $400 a ton. I heard of 650 tons of hay (alfalfa?) in Baker selling for $285 a ton in the windrow. You will make much more this year selling any hay you happen to have than feeding it to a cow.

If you don't intend to keep them... why would you feed them for a month?
They're on the thinner side, my thinking was get the body condition up a little bit for free on the pasture then take advantage of a possible premium on better looking cows.
With what hay is selling for this year. I would sell the cows. Make hay. Sell the hay. And laugh all the way to the bank.
I'm a bit of a hay hoarder, I'm always looking for more instead of selling. That's how I got that feeder oat hay, buddy was gonna push it in a ditch and I put my name on it. I figured even if they just used it for bedding it's worth something. Got 7 or 8 ton for free and they chowed down on it.

Unless you think the market will be higher in 30 days sell them now. You need more upside potential then just weight gain for that short of a turn around.

Thanks for all the input, I kind of figured straight to the sale barn would be my best bet but I wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking any kind of other option.

I came across similar opportunity few weeks back but it was on sheep. I sold the lambs kept the ewes for now they were thin so I'll let them graze for a bit before salient them. I had planned on selling all of them fast but didn't have enough scrapie tags

Latest posts