which cross should i use

Help Support CattleToday:

mccabe226

Reaction score
i was going to start making my own replacments, and im torn between herf/angus, or gv/herf. if i went with the gv/herf i would use an angus on them, and no replacements would be kept. and the herf/angus i would use some continental breed. i guess what im really asking is which one would be the all around better cow to have around as far as longevity, fertility, and just an all around good cow that im going to get a lot of years of use out of..

im keeping all the replacments for myself, and finishing out the calves they produce.

All good options. I think you want to consider the quality of forage you have, and the size of cows you can afford to feed. I really like herf crosses. I have a couple GVxherf and GVxSH - - they have good muscle and good attitude but they are a bit larger than I like for a brood cow. The only downside to a herf is they are not real consistent for milk so you need to be a bit selective on your sourcing.

I bought mostly rwf and herefords, have been making black baldies for a while, now I bought two Limi bulls to cover the mature baldies, and will try an AI sync on heifers to get wf calves.

My choice and what we're doing is GV Hereford, best of both worlds and they're mostly red. Use a black angus bull for a termianl sire

dun":2tqri09g said:
My choice and what we're doing is GV Hereford, best of both worlds and they're mostly red. Use a black angus bull for a termianl sire

What do your mature cows weigh, and what kind of weaning % do you expect?

Stocker Steve":1imu0geh said:
dun":1imu0geh said:

What do your mature cows weigh, and what kind of weaning % do you expect?
Don;t know yet, the first heifer of our own known breeding hasn;t calved yet. Getting bull calves with that cross sure slows down the expansion

I'm not gonna kid ya I raise Gelbvieh and of course am gonna reccommend them. I think your first thought is the right one.

Either a red or blk POLLED gelbvieh on your herf cows and then back on them with a really terminal Angus bull.

The key is to get the right set of herf cows to begin with. If I was gonna start back commercial tomorrow I would look for the best registered herf cows I could find that maybe had one or two calves left in them and breed them that way for a couple of years then dump them for salvage. If you pick the right GV bull he should put some milk in those heifers and make you some real fine replacements.

All other things being equal look for a GV bull with a milk EPD in the 18 to 23 range. No less than 15 and for sure no more than 25

That's what I am looking to produce and I believe it's a good solid criteria. One last thing look at udders both on the herf cows and if at all possible look at the udder on the GV bulls momma. That is the equipment you cow herd is gonna carry for a long time

Good luck

mccabe226":1uswskpz said:
i guess what im really asking is which one would be the all around better cow to have around as far as longevity, fertility, and just an all around good cow that im going to get a lot of years of use out of..

From experience since 1975 I would say An/Gv cross cow would meet your requirements as close as any. Assuming of course that your type selection was in line with your goals.

ive got a pretty big gv breeder just down the road so i was gonna see about gettin hfrs from him and then run a good herf on them, is that a problem or should i put a gv on herferds. or dont it make a bit of difference?

3waycross":7f0zuux4 said:
Either a red or blk POLLED gelbvieh on your herf cows and then back on them with a really terminal Angus bull.

The key is to get the right set of herf cows to begin with.

Got the key totally right.

I have owned several BA bulls and most were terminal. Seems hard to find the other kind. Either they were lazy breeders or had a lot of ragin Angus in them... :( I got tired of carrying a softball bat.

I do have one MittyInFocus cross heifer so we will see.

Stocker Steve":nluk5bk4 said:
3waycross":nluk5bk4 said:

The key is to get the right set of herf cows to begin with.

Got the key totally right.

I have owned several BA bulls and most were terminal. Seems hard to find the other kind. Either they were lazy breeders or had a lot of ragin Angus in them... :( I got tired of carrying a softball bat. I do have one RA bull left and he seems to be the real deal.

I also have one MittyInFocus cross heifer so we will see how that works out. She is bred Limi. :D

mccabe226":3z4a8c2x said:
ive got a pretty big gv breeder just down the road so i was gonna see about gettin hfrs from him and then run a good herf on them, is that a problem or should i put a gv on herferds. or dont it make a bit of difference?

If you do that you can run the terminal angus bull on the gv cows and still get great calves. you win both ways.

Latest posts