Which Chainsaw

Help Support CattleToday:

arkie 74

Reaction score
I've been looking at buying a new chainsaw. I would like to stay with Stihl or Jonsered because those dealers are closest. I would appreciate any input on the Stihl MS 280, MS 290, MS 310, MS 390 or the Jonsered CS 2255, CS 2156C, CS 2159C. Is there alot of difference in the 3/8 and the .325 chain?
Thanks for any advise

I have had a Stihl MS280 for about 5 years now and it is not what I expected as far as problems I have had with the saw. I have had to replace the bearing on the clutch 3 times now and when the bearing goes it takes out the clutch and the automatic oiler also. The last time the shop told me it tells you in the owner's manual that you are suppose to grease the bearing every time you replace the bar. The easy chain adjustment, no tools needed, that I have is a god send but the shop tells me they think that attributes to the bearing going out quicker on my saw. So now I know and hopefully won't have that problem again. I have never had a problem starting it and when it is running it is a good saw. I would say that overall it is a good saw but I didn't excpect the problems that I have had since I had heard so many good things about Stihl and you pay for that name also.

Odd numbers ok, even numbers better. At least that's how it used to be. They've changed the model #'s some. 028 is now 280, etc. 028 was professional grade, 029 was homeowner grade. Don't know about the newfangled options, but easier to use usually means easier to tear up. (chain tensioners, etc.) I have an 036, and a 440. Used to run an 066 and an 084. Liked 'em all except for the breathers. The air intake system on a Husky works better in my opinion. That's the only thing I have found that I personally like about a Husky. Kinda like Ford and Chevy, though. Both pretty good, each with it's own fan club.

ga. prime":rdednvz3 said:
HerefordSire":rdednvz3 said:
grannysoo":rdednvz3 said:
Husqvarna

That is the brand I purchased with 42" bars. Respect.

What are you cutting that requires a 42" bar? Bet you work up a good sweat filing those teeth. :D

I just wanted the most powerful husky I could get. It only made sense to get a long bar. The other bar is used for a chainsaw log mill for a timber frame home. Largest trees on my property are likely hollow but they are massive and appear to be about 150 years old.

The first question one should ask is what you are going to be doing with the saw and how often you will be doing it. Cutting fire woods, felling trees, cutting limbs?? That makes a big difference in what you look for in a saw.

Echo is a pretty good saw. I have one of the smaller ones and it gets more work than my 044 sthil. I have a echo pole saw that I like also.

Thanks for all the replies. I will be using the saw for cleaning out fence rows and cutting firewood and felling some trees but no major size to the tree that I will be felling. Just more less and all around saw.

Thanks

Husqvarna. If you buy one, tell the dealer you want his service tech to take out the 'emissions lockouts' right off the bat. You will have a dependable saw then. I am on my 2nd Husky 365 which sees almost daily work and a fair bit of abuse. :cowboy:

hurleyjd":3915otow said:
Echo is a pretty good saw. I have one of the smaller ones and it gets more work than my 044 sthil. I have a echo pole saw that I like also.

Hurley I've used my Echo for about 3 eyars now...no problems and have cut down some pretty good size trees with it considering the size of the saw. Years ago when I cut a lot of firewood I had a larger Partner brand....that was one fine saw and cut faster than any I'd ever seen at the time. Don't know if they even make Partner anymore.

I don't think there has ever been any chainsaw better than the Stihl 08S, do you still get that model in the USA? I think it has been discontinued here.

I have a 038 Magnum that has been going for 10 years now and apart from a few broken starter cords has never given me any hassle and that saw get used alot during droughts to cut down trees for the cattle to browse on.

I have a 16" Stihl. And, an Echo Weedeater. Very infrequent use. When I get them started, both work very good.

On a sidebar: Gremlins designed and made 2 Cycle Engines. After they are about a year old, 2 Cycles are tempermental, hard to start, etc. I get mine professionally serviced and tuned up...good for "that season's" work. Then, they are "be nice" to start. I don't have a lot of patience. If one doesn't start in 3 or 4 pulls...well... Just had my weedeater serviced...$56...good for this Fall. Cheaper than hiring a "yard man" to come out and trim stuff...

:mad:

Running Arrow Bill":26zwk5kv said:
I have a 16" Stihl. And, an Echo Weedeater. Very infrequent use. When I get them started, both work very good.

On a sidebar: Gremlins designed and made 2 Cycle Engines. After they are about a year old, 2 Cycles are tempermental, hard to start, etc. I get mine professionally serviced and tuned up...good for "that season's" work. Then, they are "be nice" to start. I don't have a lot of patience. If one doesn't start in 3 or 4 pulls...well... Just had my weedeater serviced...$56...good for this Fall. Cheaper than hiring a "yard man" to come out and trim stuff...

If you use gasoline with a stabilizer like Stabil in it you won;t have those problems unless the dirt daubers take up residence

Running Arrow Bill":m358hqbp said:

Bill have you ever tried gas stabilizer? I use Stabil in mine and it seems to help a good bit.

Larry

larryshoat":1isftc0i said:
Running Arrow Bill":1isftc0i said:

Bill have you ever tried gas stabilizer? I use Stabil in mine and it seems to help a good bit.

Larry

Thatt stuff is really amazing. I've used 3 year old gas that had the stuff put in it when it was fresh and it ran as good as fresh stuff.

1.Stihl
2.Husqvarna
3.Echo

My small engine rapair guy said to always put stabilizer in the fuel. Stuff like chainsaws are used so infrequently, you don't know when you'll pick it up the next day, or when it will be 6 months from now. I completely agree.

I use Stabil gas stablizer in everything. Lawnmower, weedeater, pressure washer, sure seems to help for the little bit it costs.

Latest posts