Which calf to sell

Help Support CattleToday:

In my opinion you should sell the grey calf. This way when you breed them there is less chance of another grey. The other too are presumably angus based and would be easy to match together if needed to sell at a later date.

i would probably sell the brown one but i would definetly keep the white face one.

joe

A question first, what are the weights of the calves? I would sell the brown one also but not JUST because of her color. I try to keep the best
heifers each year ( size, bloodlines, polled, gentle, etc ) regardless of their color. If two calves are equal on all other factors only then would color come into the picture.

;-)

Go with Jake's recomendation. He is the best and sharpest young cattleman on this siite. I would partner with him any day.

Well, I have three calves and a friend of mine wants to buy one. He says that it makes him no difference which one he gets. I was going to keep all three of them and breed them this July. Below is a site I have posted a pic of each calf. Now which one should I sell and why? Thanks.

http://johnabillingsley.com/_wsn/page3.html

if the three of them have Angus Blood I will sell the brown one and will cross the other two to a Black Angus bull, if they don't have Angus blood I will sell the brown one anyway :)

I would sell the BLACK one to the market....keep the white face one and sell the grey calf... The calf has great breeding potential!!! Great muscularity, nice shape head...the color is a bit odd, but does color important to meat quality?????????? Breed the two I said to keep to a lean beef breed..should get some nice growthy calves!!!!!

Oregonian":3tqrf0ki said:
I would sell the BLACK one to the market....keep the white face one and sell the grey calf... The calf has great breeding potential!!! Great muscularity, nice shape head...the color is a bit odd, but does color important to meat quality?????????? Breed the two I said to keep to a lean beef breed..should get some nice growthy calves!!!!!

He has 3 calves, so he should sell the black one on the market, keep the white face one, and sell the grey calf. Then breed the other two? :roll: What kind of math are you doing up there? 3-2=1. Let's double check our work...1+2=3! Yep, if you have 3 and sell 2, that only leaves 1!

eric":349sg1ki said:
Oregonian":349sg1ki said:

He has 3 calves, so he should sell the black one on the market, keep the white face one, and sell the grey calf. Then breed the other two? :roll: What kind of math are you doing up there? 3-2=1. Let's double check our work...1+2=3! Yep, if you have 3 and sell 2, that only leaves 1!

Good catch and well worded

eric":3sy6w7ci said:
Oregonian":3sy6w7ci said:

Oregonian not very sharp

la4angus":154mc4if said:
eric":154mc4if said:
Oregonian":154mc4if said:

Oregonian not very sharp
Maybe he's Alf's cousin

I need more info on the calves, birthdates, birth weights, 205 wean weights? Which cows are the better mothers and what is your color preference? I like to make my decisions on what animals that stay in the herd on actual data and temperment.

I am still learning, so I have a question. Just looking at the 3 calves, the white face seems scrawny compared to the other 2. What should I be looking for that makes it a better prospect (other than color)?

D.R. Cattle":2ifdowlr said:
Judging by the pictures they all look small for 1 year old. Sell 'em.

They don't look that old to me either. I sure don't claim to be able to weigh a calf over the internet, but all three look less that 500 pounds to me.

Craig-TX

Latest posts