Which Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

wstevenl

Reaction score
These might be hard to compare because they're about a year apart but they are both %Lowline bulls.
First is an almost 2 year old.
DRNathan4.jpg

DRNathan2.jpg

Next is a 1 year old 3/4 lowline 1/4 Tarentaise. There isn't a rear picture of him.
RockinRonnie1.jpg

I'm looking for a bull to use on unregistered Belted Galloway and a few Dexter cows for grass fed beef.
I'd appreciate any thoughts!

The photos aren't ideal to evaluate bulls, but from what I can see the first is the more complete package. The younger bull isn't put together like I would want to see in a herd bull.

It would be better to have more views. But from what I can see I like #2 the best. That is as long as he is not beginning to buckle at his front knees. It may just be the way he is standing but if it is something that he always does, I would be concerned about his longevity.

Based on what I can see, I'd go with the first for similar reasons as Knersie. He looks more balanced and evenly solid. That said, personality and temperament are important to me. Anybody who gets too hanky gets to take a trailer ride. I've never had a cow so fine she was worth a hospital stay.

Thanks for the input so far.
That first bull is a son of Doc Holiday.
The owner said that he didn't think that one would be any thicker than the other at maturity.
Anything else I should look for if I go see them?

when I first looked at them, I picked the first bull for overall more style and balance

then when I took a second look, the back legs on the second bull immediately disqualify him. he needs his nuts taken off

granted, I have my suspicions the first bull may have the same problem, but from these pics alone I can say that definitively

Don't care for either - there are better lowlines out there, and their semen is availble. But I like the first beter. Second one looks post-legged to me, and his sheath isn't as good.

Do you think it could be the way he's standing? His far back leg looks like it has more angle to it.
So, what do you think of Doc Holliday?

Doc Holiday is certainly short little meat wagon. At one time I strongly considered lowlines, but finally I decided to go with a small registered Red Angus Bull instead. But if you have decided on Lowlines, I like TRUNGLEY TIGER'S EYE a little further down the page than Doc Holiday.

http://www.kylowline.com/Links/Herd_Sires.htm

I also like this little fellow, but I am partial to red, and I think his semen is awfully pricey, and in some of the photos his feet seem a bit closely set.

http://www.lazyglowline.com/herd/pedigree.php?id=41

All this, said, I'm certainly not the most experience person on these boards. Perhaps someone with a better eye than me can comment on the herd sires I referenced?

How many cows are you talking about breeding? If just a few, I'd order Doc Holliday semen and AI if that's possible. Sure seems it's worth it to have the best. He's sure thick - I've heard others say his heart girth surpasses some standard angus bulls.

ArmyDoc, thanks for the link. I thought I'd searched most of the Lowline sources, but hadn't seen these. I prefer red - might consider the bottom bull on my lowline/jersey cow. I have been AI'ing to the bull below, nice looking calves, but 2 of 3 have been too flighty. Or I might just go smaller Red Angus as you mentioned.

bigred-diamondj.jpg

djinwa":221ytx6v said:
How many cows are you talking about breeding? If just a few, I'd order Doc Holliday semen and AI if that's possible. Sure seems it's worth it to have the best. He's sure thick - I've heard others say his heart girth surpasses some standard angus bulls.

ArmyDoc, thanks for the link. I thought I'd searched most of the Lowline sources, but hadn't seen these. I also prefer red - might consider the bottom bull on my lowline/jersey cow. I have been AI'ing to the bull below, nice looking calves, but 2 of 3 have been too flighty. Or I might just go smaller Red Angus as you mentioned.

bigred-diamondj.jpg

We're talking about 10 to 15 cows. I've got a day job and the only ai guy I know just divorced my sister in law. LOL Isnt it worth something that the first bull was sired by Doc H. ? We're looking for good grass fed beef here, not show winners.

wstevenl":2p0eizkd said:
We're talking about 10 to 15 cows. I've got a day job and the only ai guy I know just divorced my sister in law. LOL Isnt it worth something that the first bull was sired by Doc H. ? We're looking for good grass fed beef here, not show winners.

Yes it does mean something that the bull was sired by Doc Holiday, but you still need to look at every individual animal critically. Ask anyone who has ever tried to breed any critter, plans don't always work out even when breeding the best bull available to your best cow. I have a cow who produced 2 show winners for me with her first two calves then I AI'd her to a bull who should have suited her better and I culled that bullcalf. He just wasn't put together like I wanted.

Take a few more photos of the first bull from various angles including a dead side-on profile shot and I can give you a better opinion on his soundness.

Just as a side note you don't need lowlines or miniatures to produce grassfinished beef, the type is more important and if you look in the right places you can find that in most breeds.

Latest posts