Which bull would you pick?

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
I have narrowed my choices down to these 2. They are both JMS victordomino bulls just over a year old. This first one has a noticably wider butt than the second one the only thing that scared me a little bit was he is a little bit playfull, not aggresive but kicking up his heels a little, while the second one was minding his own business and very calm. I'm not sure if I should let that keep me from buying the bull or not.
JMS_022_1_.jpg

The story on this one is that his dam injured her leg after calving and had trouble getting around so this bull did not recieve the same care as the rest of the calves in the group but still held his own and was just as big and bigger than most in the group at a year old. My #1 goal for my cow herd is low-maintenance cows and a bull like this might be a smart choice even if his butt is a little narrower than the first bull. What do you think?
JMS_097.jpg

Whichever bull I choose he will be servicing my black cows and also my longhorn cows and heifers. Thanks for any comments.

I really like them both and given the reputation of the breeder I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. In fact, I'll buy whichever you decide not to take if you'll drop him off on your way back to Ohio, Steve.

Bull #1 is the better animal in my opinion. He is slightly deeper flanked and appears to be the overall thicker, deeper bodied bull. I believe the topline on the second bull is decieving due to the hair that he is shedding.

Number 1. He sheds earlier than the other one, for starters. That tells me that he is healthier and more adapted to the situation. The "noticeable wider butt" is a big plus. The qualities others already pointed out from the pictures also speaks in his favour.
Also his mother cared well for him an did not hurt her leg, so choosing him over number 2 means choosing more luck (this may or may not sound dumb, but thinking this way actually works. In not making excuses for unlucky cattle, one may cull many good, but likely all the bad).

Both are obviously bred to have maternal qualities, and come from a breeder with an impressive herd as we have seen many times here on CT. I very much agree with his culling practices as they have been explained in old threads. The fact that he line breeds does not hurt a bull buyer either, more consistency in the calf crop could not be over emphasized.

Thanks for the replies. On conformation alone I like #1 but I like the docility and ruggedness of #2, ruggedness is a trait I admire in both animals and people. Jerry, both bulls have dark pigment around the eyes #2 just has dark hair also, it's hard to tell in the pictures. ANAZAZI, I have never thought about choosing for 'luck', but it makes sense to me, sometimes what is percieved as luck is actually the result of something else that has been overlooked. I am also a believer in 'occasional randomness' which sounds crazy but sometimes it keeps things leveled out. I'm sure either one of these bulls will do well for me and can't wait to bring one home!

What is the age difference in these two? #1 looks older but its hard to tell in pictures.

I like #1's length and depth, but it is hard to tell in pics. I am like Anazazi about liking the shedding part for me in Ky. Are they both what you want bithweight and growth wise?

#2 looks to be a taller bull but it maybe the picture.

I know its tough choosing, but make sure you like his looks and personality because you have to put uo with him for a while.

number 1.

Don't let a little aggressiveness or pep in his step deter you; too many times I think people leave the Alpha male in the pen because what they think they see is an aggressive animal when in reality it is his vigor.

I guarantee you the alpha male Lion in Africa is a big bad mofo- not some little docile cat in the corner of the pen. Nature dictates/chooses dominant males as the breeders. I would encourage you to do the same.

Steve,
Thanks for posting the pictures, I always like the feedback from other folks perspectives.
The first bull is twenty-five days older than the second one.
Both bulls will be slick haired...All of our cattle are. Very important in fescue country.
The second bull's dam was injured in a tractor incident feeding hay as a two year old nursing her first
calf. Not anything geneticly. What is most impressive was the fact she was crippled and lost
most of her mobility and became very, very thin. I was sure she would not get bred back and
couldn't send her to town in the condition she was in so I took her to the commerial herd and
just let her mend up and gain some weight so I could sell her. To my surprize, she was bred
and had this bull. She has since calved again and had a very good bull but due to a bad attitude,
he got an attitude adjustment with the knife. There was a fifty pound difference last fall when these
two were weighed. The second bull actually had better post weaning performance since there was
a wider spread between the two at weaning. Both bulls will work on heifers.
Like some of the comments, one will just select on personal preference.
DM

Massey135":1gg35ppd said:
number 1.

Don't let a little aggressiveness or pep in his step deter you; too many times I think people leave the Alpha male in the pen because what they think they see is an aggressive animal when in reality it is his vigor.

I guarantee you the alpha male Lion in Africa is a big bad mofo- not some little docile cat in the corner of the pen. Nature dictates/chooses dominant males as the breeders. I would encourage you to do the same.
I agree with you Massey. I think I will bring #1 home, he is just anxious to meet some new ladies. I showed my neighbor his picture and he said he might "accidentally" cut his fence and let him have a go at his cows too!

mrvictordomino":1bnhgnj4 said:
Steve,
Thanks for posting the pictures, I always like the feedback from other folks perspectives.
Both bulls will be slick haired...All of our cattle are. Very important in fescue country.
The second bull's dam was injured in a tractor incident feeding hay as a two year old nursing her first
calf. Not anything geneticly. What is most impressive was the fact she was crippled and lost
most of her mobility and became very, very thin. I was sure she would not get bred back and
couldn't send her to town in the condition she was in so I took her to the commerial herd and
just let her mend up and gain some weight so I could sell her. To my surprize, she was bred
and had this bull. She has since calved again and had a very good bull but due to a bad attitude,
he got an attitude adjustment with the knife. There was a fifty pound difference last fall when these
two were weighed. The second bull actually had better post weaning performance since there was
DM
They both look good, in pics I just preferred #1. Your cattle always looks good in pictures, hope you took no offense.

I see you have the yellow weed over in your part of Ky too.

tom4018":s4r3zjqe said:
mrvictordomino":s4r3zjqe said:
Steve,
DM
They both look good, in pics I just preferred #1. Your cattle always looks good in pictures, hope you took no offense.

No offence here Tom, just always admired the younger bull since I knew his history. Tremendous fertility demonstrated
in that young cow. We do have that yellow weed here and it is getting worse. Will have to get on a weed control program
next spring, or if anyone has had this weed, I would like suggestions on what to do with it.
DM

its easy killed,, spray it early spring before it blooms. ive sprayed it as soon as a warm Feb. day. for best results, dont harm the clover that way either.. 2-4-D will do a great job with timing... bushhogging will not control it... its gonna bloom no matter if its a 1/2 inch high :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":2uhijjq8 said:
its easy killed,, spray it early spring before it blooms. ive sprayed it as soon as a warm Feb. day. for best results, dont harm the clover that way either.. 2-4-D will do a great job with timing... bushhogging will not control it... its gonna bloom no matter if its a 1/2 inch high :cowboy:
Thanks, I will have to do it.....Taking over here. Too late for this year though.

ALACOWMAN":3t9itaho said:
i didnt spray this year either fuel and chemicals prices ridiculous... with hay season around the corner ill be spending enough on 4 dollar fuel...

Same here.... The thistle is pretty bad this year too. Im just spot spraying it.

I did mix up some 2-4-D in the 300 gallon boom sprayer a few weeks ago to spray a hill that was looking pretty bad. Got across the bridge just about 100 yards from the field and the bottom of the tank just gave out. :mad: Lost it all. Bushhogging will have to do this year....

mrvictordomino":34hoxiqu said:
tom4018":34hoxiqu said:
mrvictordomino":34hoxiqu said:
Steve,
DM

No offence here Tom, just always admired the younger bull since I knew his history. Tremendous fertility demonstrated
in that young cow. We do have that yellow weed here and it is getting worse. Will have to get on a weed control program
next spring, or if anyone has had this weed, I would like suggestions on what to do with it.
DM
I talked with our extension agent about the weed, anything that kills it gets your clover. He said a good fertility program to help the grass out grow was about as good as you do with out starting over. He said the seed bank on it and other weed is so high that even if you kill everything it will come back.

Remember me next year if you got any white faced girls you need to sell.

Latest posts