Which bull/Which Heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Archer913

Reaction score
What would be the best way to go with a Hereford/Angus cross...... Hereford bull w/ Angus heiffers or Angus bull w/ Hereford heiffers???? Does it really matter and if so, why would it matter????
Thanks

It depends on how your market area is for Herefords. Around here we can get very good Hereford heifers and cows for somewhat less then equal qulaity Angus. If the market runs about the same for either, either one would work. I'ld go with Hereford females because there wiould be more of them in the pasture then the bulls and I like looking at Herefords far more then a bunch of black animals.

dun

dun":2jp1t016 said:
It depends on how your market area is for Herefords. Around here we can get very good Hereford heifers and cows for somewhat less then equal qulaity Angus. If the market runs about the same for either, either one would work. I'ld go with Hereford females because there wiould be more of them in the pasture then the bulls and I like looking at Herefords far more then a bunch of black animals.

dun

Very well put. ;-)

It also depends on which you prefer to have - the personality of Hereford moms & just 1 Angus bull or Angus moms & 1 Hereford bull. I prefer the docile temperament of the Hereford moms if you need to assist them with calving or to get the calf to nurse. Just personal preference I guess.

I hate to throw a turd in the punch bowl but, I would go the other way.
I like hereford bulls, can't say the same for hereford cows,
poor milkers, poor udder attachment, longevity questionable.

Hillbilly

white faces are easier to spot, especially if they are hiding in the woods in the shade.

younggun":bu9w009y said:
hillbilly i have a hereford cow that raises a better calf than any angus ive ever seen. she has a great udder and shes a great milker.

I've selected hard on udders, and there are Hereford cows with good udders if you look in the right places. There are certain bloodlines that really have excellent longevity as well, and they are the same ones that tend to have excellent udders.

Guys I think I'm gonna go with hereford heiffers...... I like the way they look..... don't get me wrong I like angus but plain old black can be boring. So if there are no hard facts proving one breed better than the other, and if most of the advantages/disadvantages are based on opinions. then I will go the Hereford route. I do really apprecciate everyones thoughts and opinions. Thank you all for your replies.

One caveat concerning Herefords. There are some family lines that just don't seem to milk as well as you would like. Sincethey're going to be raising a calf with generally higher growth potential then either of the parent breeds, I'ld look for above average milk.

dun

Archer913":q6qib4i7 said:
Guys I think I'm gonna go with hereford heiffers...... I like the way they look..... don't get me wrong I like angus but plain old black can be boring. So if there are no hard facts proving one breed better than the other, and if most of the advantages/disadvantages are based on opinions. then I will go the Hereford route. I do really apprecciate everyones thoughts and opinions. Thank you all for your replies.

Sounds like a good plan to me!!!

Dun that is the kind of info I was looking for...... I'm a newbie and it is kind of confusing when a lot of people say that the breed they keep is the best breed because they keep that breed or it's there favorite. Thanks again all.

Latest posts