Which bull to buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what bull I want to put with my cows. I'm thinking either hereford or charolis but can't decide which one. I'm going to be selling all the calves for the most part for the first 3 years so I need some that will have a good weaning weight. I know it has to do with epd's and things like that but if you didn't know those and had to chose a bull which would it be and why? I have mostly black angus cattle with a few crossbred cows. Thanks for any input on this.

Since you are selling most or all of your calves for the first 3 years, I'd go with a Charlais. If you are using good Charlais genetics you will have higher weaning weights than with the Herf's. After 3 years, I might go with a Herford bull, so I could get some good black baldie's. Black baldies should make soem terrific replacemnts. A smokie or two out of the first 3 years won't be bad either.

Good luck

I would buy a fullblood Limi with your black angus cows you would still get mostly black calves. I can pm you some names of some breeders inTX.

I raise baldies and love em,....but if i were looking for weaning weight and weaning weight only, I would have to go charolais.

Since the only choices you are looking at are Hereford or Chars, I would go with the Hereford bull.
Other than that.. Limousin is my choice.. naturally. ;-)

Limomike":3l23s3i0 said:
Since the only choices you are looking at are Hereford or Chars, I would go with the Hereford bull.
Other than that.. Limousin is my choice.. naturally. ;-)
Ok Guys Remember this I already stated that I would breed them to a Herf and get baldies and when you start retaining those baldie hfr I would breed the first calvers to an Angus but after that I would breed them baldies to

LIMI

there I said it and man did that hurt :lol: :lol:

Its ok Angus Cowman the pain will go away and it won't hurt so much next time. We promise. :p
Besides there is nothing wrong with increasing yeild grade and feed converison.

Red Bull Breeder":n1ud72qk said:
I would buy a fullblood Limi with your black angus cows you would still get mostly black calves. I can pm you some names of some breeders inTX.

In my area, I'd go hereford. Baldies sell for more than grey or yellow to offset potential wean weight differences (I hear this may not be true of TX). That said, I think the above suggestion should be considered.

me personally... a charolais.

but if you do have another option id got with limi or simi!!!