Which Bull for Longhorn Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver_Knight

Reaction score
Which bull would make a cross to place with Longhorns to add weight and lose the horns? I've been researching and am thinking of going with Charolais or Red Brangus. Any suggestions based on your experience? I like learning from other people's mistakes if I can :)

Depends where you are at, deep south= brangus.. mid south= Black angus... both should make nice calves and no horns....also usually small birth weights...

alftn":3qwwu287 said:
Depends where you are at, deep south= brangus.. mid south= Black angus... both should make nice calves and no horns....also usually small birth weights...
It will also look like dairy cattle.
Longhorns should be bred to something stronger. I am not saying angus are worthless, merely pointing out that the are not so thick.
Try limousine, piedmontese or blonde daquitaine, there are even polled lines if you do not care to dehorn them.

You really need a breed to complement the hardiness of the Longhorn. You would throwing good money away if you used a British or a Euro. Why not use a Brahman derived breed like a high Brahman content Charbray or a Brahmousin or a Red Brangus. if you were in Australia a Droughtmaster would be the answer.

Silver_Knight":1tmgyr15 said:
Which bull would make a cross to place with Longhorns to add weight and lose the horns? I've been researching and am thinking of going with Charolais or Red Brangus. Any suggestions based on your experience? I like learning from other people's mistakes if I can :)

The way you asked the question is typical of a newbie - not enough info.

You're getting a lot of adviced here - most of which might be worthless.

You need to tell us where you are from and the climate and anything else you might want to throw in.

I know what I used on them in northern Alberta with great success.

I can tell you that Australian's advice might be good for him and his area - but his advice sucks the hind tit for someone in cold country like Fairview Alberta

Pony up the info and you MIGHT get what you need.

Bez+

Australian":9mdcasw5 said:
You really need a breed to complement the hardiness of the Longhorn. You would throwing good money away if you used a British or a Euro. Why not use a Brahman derived breed like a high Brahman content Charbray or a Brahmousin or a Red Brangus. if you were in Australia a Droughtmaster would be the answer.

I have seen photos of LH x droughtmaster. Really nice. But bez is right, it depends where you are. In my country it is so cold that the indicus cattle would only contribute with heterosis.

alftn":2jr51v84 said:
wouldnt use a brangus. needs something too add alot more beef ... id go with a polled hereford

alacattleman":xp81rrc4 said:
alftn":xp81rrc4 said:
wouldnt use a brangus. needs something too add alot more beef ... id go with a polled hereford

What difference would that make?

ANAZAZI":1w1gp2c6 said:
alacattleman":1w1gp2c6 said:
alftn":1w1gp2c6 said:

what do you mean what difference....

ANAZAZI":120eo1et said:
alacattleman":120eo1et said:
alftn":120eo1et said:

Here in the states cattle buyers purchase cattle on the perception of muscling. The Longhorn part in the calf does not contribute much muscling. Their performance in the feed yards is less than what other breeds can do , so that is another reason to cross with something that can produce a heavier muscled carcass and grow rapidly in the feedyard. Another thing to consider is using a breed that will mask the spots that show up and indicate Longhorn breeding and take the horns off.

BC":2wdcb40v said:
ANAZAZI":2wdcb40v said:
Here in the states cattle buyers purchase cattle on the perception of muscling. The Longhorn part in the calf does not contribute much muscling. Their performance in the feed yards is less than what other breeds can do , so that is another reason to cross with something that can produce a heavier muscled carcass and grow rapidly in the feedyard. Another thing to consider is using a breed that will mask the spots that show up and indicate Longhorn breeding and take the horns off.

I know. Yellow or grey hides mask white spots well, black accentuates it, and red is somewhere in between. White markings belonging to the hereford would take peoples eyes from the white longhorn influence.
Muscle and growthwise hereford and angus have the same obvious shortcomings to compensate for the longhorn style.
I am speaking of terminal cross here.

my B.I.L. uses a black limi bull on long horn cows, makes a decent calf but, he still gets docked it aint like the buyers just fell off the turnip truck

Well, let's look at it this way - what are you aiming for?
Are you selling the beef, breeding for sale barn, keeping replacements, or a combination?
What's your plan for the offsspring?

farmwriter":2zrf9bj7 said:
Well, let's look at it this way - what are you aiming for?
Are you selling the beef, breeding for sale barn, keeping replacements, or a combination?
What's your plan for the offsspring?
One thing for sure---I don't believe anybodys breeding Longhorns for the Sale Barn !!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

ANAZAZI":2bt5t93k said:
BC":2bt5t93k said:
ANAZAZI":2bt5t93k said:
Another thing to consider is using a breed that will mask the spots that show up and indicate Longhorn breeding and take the horns off.

I know. Yellow or grey hides mask white spots well, black accentuates it, and red is somewhere in between. White markings belonging to the hereford would take peoples eyes from the white longhorn influence.
Muscle and growthwise hereford and angus have the same obvious shortcomings to compensate for the longhorn style.
I am speaking of terminal cross here.

Both really good points, which would seem to point torward Charolais.

silk purse......................sows ear..............what if someone were too take a beef cow and mated it too a beef type bull sounds simple enough.. something too ponder, might even be a hit on the market

Latest posts