Which Bull for Longhorn Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":3t1bsjv5 said:
BC":3t1bsjv5 said:
alacattleman":3t1bsjv5 said:
i don't know why all the fuss over color is... it aint like its gonna matter... id focus more on putting meat on it
Color is important as it is the first step in creating uniformity. If you have a pen full of black or red animals, that spotted animal will stick out like a sore thumb. If the spotted animal happens to be inferiorly muscled, then the perception is that whole pen is that way.
i know what your saying.... but too me adding more meat would be my main focus,,, their gonna get a dock regardless whether hide or lack of muscle....

Thats why Char makes the most sense. Highest likelyhood of uniform color and added meat.

Ryan

ANAZAZI":rl1sjdfc said:
alftn":rl1sjdfc said:
Depends where you are at, deep south= brangus.. mid south= Black angus... both should make nice calves and no horns....also usually small birth weights...
It will also look like dairy cattle.
Longhorns should be bred to something stronger. I am not saying angus are worthless, merely pointing out that the are not so thick.
Try limousine, piedmontese or blonde daquitaine, there are even polled lines if you do not care to dehorn them.

we bought some limo/longhorn heifers yrs ago and people refer to them as a longhorns heck even i do now because thats what they look like except their horns are somewhat smaller than a typical longhorn, we use a beefmaster bull which is paint so my calves have come out marked like a typical longhorn but they grow faster than the other calves (beefmaster) and they have all had a bigger bone structer and more body size than the mommas, i was actually impressed the way they have turned out, the man i sold some calves to is breeding these heifers runs a angus bull and so far he seems to be pleased with their calf rasing ability and the end results are some pretty nice calves but my point is a half way cross is not a beefy cow but a they are good mommas and give better calves as the cross goes on. this is just my experince and works for me. one more thing, they dont take as much hay to fill up as my beefmaster girls do

okbob":1t0yxfgy said:
the end results are some pretty nice calves but my point is a half way cross is not a beefy cow but a they are good mommas and give better calves as the cross goes on. this is just my experince and works for me. one more thing, they dont take as much hay to fill up as my beefmaster girls do
That's what I'm hoping for. We're retaining just a few of our LHxAngus heifers out of the best LH mama's, then breeding again to Angus (cause that's what sells here). I've got my fingers crossed for ending up with mostly black, beefy calves out of mama's that are fertile, calve easily, can take the heat, and eat more like a LH.
And the steers are tasty!

No one has ever said the part Longhorn cow was not a good calf raiser. I have only seen a couple of bad uddered LH cows and only one cancer eyed LH in my 40+ years of owning cattle.

The problem is in the steers and heifers not kept for replacements. They go to the feedyards and as the old expression says "that is where the wheels come off the cart". Slower growth on feed and less muscling which affects red meat yield. The color problem just accentuates the problem because it makes those animals stick out. Same can be said for any animals that are not solid colored or at least traditionally colored.

Silver_Knight":171h8rof said:
Which bull would make a cross to place with Longhorns to add weight and lose the horns? I've been researching and am thinking of going with Charolais or Red Brangus. Any suggestions based on your experience? I like learning from other people's mistakes if I can :)

I don't know if anyone said this yet as I do not want to read through every post..

I think what would be a great profitable cross is breed to Piedmontese and then back to a homo polled herf bull..

Muscle ,strength and easy fleshing all in one well marbled all in one.. ;-)

I should say GV first, but I think the pieds would add more to them straight off..

In reading all of the suggestions here I am struck with one over-riding thought: We are ASSUMING that a terminal cross is the primary goal with this breeding plan, and I agree that is a reasonable goal. But, to resolve the seeming 'negatives' which are present in MOST Longhorn bloodlines concerning Terminal traits, In My Opinion, it will require more than two breeds in the mix, and certainly more than just the F1 generation to achieve the results you are seeking. Crossing Longhorn Genetics ( such as Ryan has in his cattle!!) containing Muscling, Substance and Carcass traits - and THEN crossing them with Terminal breeds, as has been mentioned here before, will give you a FOUNDATION F1 female to which you can cross with ANOTHER breed ( 3rd breed ) for real Crossbreeding Heterosis. A breed such as Gelbvieh, or Polled Hereford, or Angus, or Red Angus, or Piedmontiese, or Chars, or any of several which have been mentioned here would work very well - CONSIDERING the fact that retaining the VERY BEST individuals for mating is as important as the Breed!

BUT - NOW we are talking about a long time for the ultimate results to be obtained - 9 - 11 years or so. But that is the cow business. It is not a "Get Rich Quick" operation! But, anything worthwhile takes time and thought, and "Beef Breeding" is certainly that!

Optimal seedstock choices are imperative for successes in cattle breeding. You just have to know what your goals are BEFORE you start mixing and matching!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2rtnml4y said:
In reading all of the suggestions here I am struck with one over-riding thought: We are ASSUMING that a terminal cross is the primary goal with this breeding plan, and I agree that is a reasonable goal. But, to resolve the seeming 'negatives' which are present in MOST Longhorn bloodlines concerning Terminal traits, In My Opinion, it will require more than two breeds in the mix, and certainly more than just the F1 generation to achieve the results you are seeking. Crossing Longhorn Genetics ( such as Ryan has in his cattle!!) containing Muscling, Substance and Carcass traits - and THEN crossing them with Terminal breeds, as has been mentioned here before, will give you a FOUNDATION F1 female to which you can cross with ANOTHER breed ( 3rd breed ) for real Crossbreeding Heterosis. A breed such as Gelbvieh, or Polled Hereford, or Angus, or Red Angus, or Piedmontiese, or Chars, or any of several which have been mentioned here would work very well - CONSIDERING the fact that retaining the VERY BEST individuals for mating is as important as the Breed!

BUT - NOW we are talking about a long time for the ultimate results to be obtained - 9 - 11 years or so. But that is the cow business. It is not a "Get Rich Quick" operation! But, anything worthwhile takes time and thought, and "Beef Breeding" is certainly that!

Optimal seedstock choices are imperative for successes in cattle breeding. You just have to know what your goals are BEFORE you start mixing and matching!

DOC HARRIS
NO,NO,NO----- No wonder I ain't getting rich !! I thought it was a----- GET RICH Quick Buisness !!!!! :banana:

DOC HARRIS":1apffkvi said:

DOC HARRIS

Another good thought provoking post. Thanks Doc!

Latest posts