Which Bull for Longhorn Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":8srq7hv6 said:
my B.I.L. uses a black limi bull on long horn cows, makes a decent calf but, he still gets docked it aint like the buyers just fell off the turnip truck
An order` buyer I know fusses all the time about the part Longhorn calves. The older they get the more the LH comes out. One day in the sorting alley he said just look at that yearling (pointing to a LH cross individual), it will drop that head just like it was heading up the Chisohm Trail. They don't feed as well in the feed yard either.

BC":3ivmiw3e said:
alacattleman":3ivmiw3e said:
my B.I.L. uses a black limi bull on long horn cows, makes a decent calf but, he still gets docked it aint like the buyers just fell off the turnip truck
An order` buyer I know fusses all the time about the part Longhorn calves. The older they get the more the LH comes out. One day in the sorting alley he said just look at that yearling (pointing to a LH cross individual), it will drop that head just like it was heading up the Chisohm Trail. They don't feed as well in the feed yard either.
exactlly, we used a lot of those crossbreds for roping stock

talldog":2fv0xiq3 said:
farmwriter":2fv0xiq3 said:
Well, let's look at it this way - what are you aiming for?
Are you selling the beef, breeding for sale barn, keeping replacements, or a combination?
What's your plan for the offsspring?
One thing for sure---I don't believe anybodys breeding Longhorns for the Sale Barn !!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
You haven't been to East Texas lately. I see Longhorns or more especially Longhorn crosses every week that people take to the sale and then can not understand why they didn't bring as much as the other cattle. They were pretty

I am in Central Texas, hot and drought for the last few years. I am looking to sell beef and to the salebarn. I am well aware that they will bring less at the barn. I like the Longhorn cows for their good traits, easy keepers, good mamas, good foragers, good temperament and they look very nice in the pasture. I am one of the frowned upon "hobby farmers" that chose this breed to teach myself and my kids about a small cow calf operation.

I probably will not keep any of the calves as replacements. I don't know what else to tell you to help in choosing a bull. From everything I've read I have narrowed it down to either Red Brangus or Charolais. Again, Just looking to make a wise decision with ya'lls help.

Silver_Knight":1moowt64 said:
I am in Central Texas, hot and drought for the last few years. I am looking to sell beef and to the salebarn. I am well aware that they will bring less at the barn. I like the Longhorn cows for their good traits, easy keepers, good mamas, good foragers, good temperament and they look very nice in the pasture. I am one of the frowned upon "hobby farmers" that chose this breed to teach myself and my kids about a small cow calf operation.

I probably will not keep any of the calves as replacements. I don't know what else to tell you to help in choosing a bull. From everything I've read I have narrowed it down to either Red Brangus or Charolais. Again, Just looking to make a wise decision with ya'lls help.
Charolais is a Good choice----Do your homework !! Good Luck !! :tiphat:

Silver_Knight":y29wve93 said:

well then id go with the char.

alacattleman":1y03xzca said:
Silver_Knight":1y03xzca said:

well then id go with the char.

Yup. Agree with that. The biggest advantage the Char has over the Red Brangus would be the color of the calves.

Ryan

talldog":2l7cbo8b said:
farmwriter":2l7cbo8b said:
Well, let's look at it this way - what are you aiming for?
Are you selling the beef, breeding for sale barn, keeping replacements, or a combination?
What's your plan for the offsspring?
One thing for sure---I don't believe anybodys breeding Longhorns for the Sale Barn !!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
As more time passes, this may not be so true.........Imputs are killing the cow calf producer................If your in the deep south as some of us our......our calves are discounted becaused its assumed that our cattle will have ear or longhorn in their bloodlines, this is far from the truth.....but they get away with it......I know I for one.... am ready to give them some of what their assuming. This fall I will sell my herd.... So any of you longhorn breeders that have heifers for sale PM me........If you have babied those longhorns I have no interest.....Just looking for some cows that know how to survive and florish on salt and mineral....Dont care about horns or color

I am kind of partial to simmental myself and I think it would be a good cross with longhorn. I have seen some char longhorn cross and they were good to. I was doing a bit of research after you posted this and found that dr. jan bonsma has developed a longhorn cross using Salers called salorn. I had never heard of either breed before I did the research. Apparently, we really do learn something new every day.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

It looked halfway decent from the pic but I dont know. Dr jan bonsma is supposedly respected the world over so I dont know.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":20uccsw3 said:
I am kind of partial to simmental myself and I think it would be a good cross with longhorn. I have seen some char longhorn cross and they were good to. I was doing a bit of research after you posted this and found that dr. jan bonsma has developed a longhorn cross using Salers called salorn. I had never heard of either breed before I did the research. Apparently, we really do learn something new every day.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

It looked halfway decent from the pic but I dont know. Dr jan bonsma is supposedly respected the world over so I dont know.

Yeah, the Salorns and also the Gel-Tex (Gelbvieh x LH) showed some promise in the late 80's to early 90's. Looked to be really good cattle, something very efficient and productive. Make some good mommas. Also there was the ALL cattle (Angus x Limi x LH), but there was just a bit of a touch of LH in that cross.

The LH association did little to nothing to promote any of those crosses, so they never really realized their potential. Could've been really good for the LH breed. The direction the breed was heading in those times, they couldve become a better option for crossing than Brahmans (more moderate size, less skin/ear, considered to have a better disposition when crossed with). But, with more people moving out of cities into small places, looking for LH's with big horns, thats where the money went and the association focused there.

Ryan

S&WSigma40VEShooter":glp45972 said:
I was doing a bit of research after you posted this and found that dr. jan bonsma has developed a longhorn cross using Salers called salorn. I had never heard of either breed before I did the research. .

Nice try! However, there is no way of hiding fire inside paper.

ANAZAZI":i442oic1 said:
alftn":i442oic1 said:
Depends where you are at, deep south= brangus.. mid south= Black angus... both should make nice calves and no horns....also usually small birth weights...
It will also look like dairy cattle.
Longhorns should be bred to something stronger. I am not saying angus are worthless, merely pointing out that the are not so thick.
Try limousine, piedmontese or blonde daquitaine, there are even polled lines if you do not care to dehorn them.

ANAZAZI":356nwzce said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":356nwzce said:
I was doing a bit of research after you posted this and found that dr. jan bonsma has developed a longhorn cross using Salers called salorn. I had never heard of either breed before I did the research. .

Nice try! However, there is no way of hiding fire inside paper.

Im afraid I dont follow you?

alacattleman":2e9wge2m said:
i don't know why all the fuss over color is... it aint like its gonna matter... id focus more on putting meat on it
Color is important as it is the first step in creating uniformity. If you have a pen full of black or red animals, that spotted animal will stick out like a sore thumb. If the spotted animal happens to be inferiorly muscled, then the perception is that whole pen is that way.

BC":2qgkithl said:
alacattleman":2qgkithl said:
i don't know why all the fuss over color is... it aint like its gonna matter... id focus more on putting meat on it
Color is important as it is the first step in creating uniformity. If you have a pen full of black or red animals, that spotted animal will stick out like a sore thumb. If the spotted animal happens to be inferiorly muscled, then the perception is that whole pen is that way.
i know what your saying.... but too me adding more meat would be my main focus,,, their gonna get a dock regardless whether hide or lack of muscle....

Latest posts