Which bull do you like better?

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe that is the first time I have asked if a pictured animal had Pied in it. The red angus bulls pictured look to be really nice bulls. They are musceled great and I know that Leachman has used Piedmontese, that prompted my question. Sorry if I offended any Red Angus breeders. Surely not my intent. I think I have made several posts that have not included me mentioning our breed. Being that I am getting started in the breed I am excited about them. Also knowing that Montana Range, Lauras Lean, R&P in MN can't get enough of this breed 1/2 or more it seems to be a good breed for folks to look at. If you aren't interested so be it no problem. I was raised on a dairy farm (Holsteins) and my brother started with registered Herfords when he was 13. He has experimented with several breeds. I enjoy reading about all different breeds.
Especially liked hearing about the White Parks today. I have really enjoyed the Cattle Today forum and for the most part folks are really congenial. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and preferances including me.
I would be happy to share any information I can with you about the Pieds. Thank you for the compliment on our boy. His name is Monster and in the picture he is three. He has put some very nice calves on the ground.
I sure didn't mean to "hijack" this topic so please forgive me if I have ticked anyone off.

fellersbarnoneranch":2ku7pje1 said:
I like ML, but that picture isn't the best of him--The only thing he lacks is a stronger and straighter back.

That is Major League? Wow, definalty not a flattering picture. They should have stuck with head on shot.

fellersbarnoneranch":2azugx6f said:
I like ML, but that picture isn't the best of him--The only thing he lacks is a stronger and straighter back.
I don't mean to be overly critical but I think for $180,000.00 you could get a better bull. I am going to be worse than Jake this time. Here are some things in my mind that keep him from being one of the best bulls in the nation.
Both front feet toe out. Not a big deal but it usually shows lack of heart girth or strait shoulder.

Strait shoulders

The top of the shoulder are too buldging and prominant.

Tight heart girth .

Weak top line.

Weak underline

Very minimal low quarter

Girlish set to the rear leggs

Back right pasturn not weight bearing in picture

Twisted testicles in picture

He appears to be tight loined in front of the hooks.

Just to name a few.....

ollie I am going to be worse than Jake this time.[/quote said:
I kept my mouth shut so I didn't catch hell this time....

that is DEFFINATELY not a $180,000 bull... maybe a $3000 at tops... he's not very correct for his high usage... I'd never seen a picture... I'm not very impressed...

Jake":26wg5e2j said:
I'd never seen a picture... I'm not very impressed...

I was impressed with the head on picture. But I am always suspicious about those. Now I think I am glad I missed the bandwagon.

:(

Ollie, when I saw the pic, I noticed the testicle attachment, but was thinking it may have been the pic. Tried to hope it wasn't bad.

Jake":upa8sglj said:
that is DEFFINATELY not a $180,000 bull...
Like Dad always said, "a bull (or anything else for that matter) is worth whatever someone will give for it". I'm going to have to agree with the critics on this one.

Here's a picture of Red FCC Rambo 502.

Rambo502.jpg

A link to his page.

http://www.stewartcattleco.com/animals/rambo.htm

Take care.

While $180,000 is WAY too deep for my pockets...I don't think that if I had raised him I would have run out and said "stop the bidding-you fools!" While that PICTURE leaves a LOT to be desired--let's all remember that bovine out in the pasture that we like so much but looks like hell in a photograph!
ar896sup.jpg
ar896beth.jpg

BirthWeight: 85 lbs. Ratio 96

Frame: 6.5

205 Days: 815 lbs. Ratio 113

HipHeight: 56.25 in.

365 Days: 1337 lbs. Ratio 117

Scrotal: 38.4 cm

I won't argue that this should change your ipinion--but it is sure nice to have more data to evaluate a bull

And for everyone other than Ollie who spits on EPD's ;-)
TRAIT-EPD-ACC
BW -1.3 .85%
WW 47 .77%
MILK 24 .30%
YW 89 .59%
TM 48
CED 2 .38%
HPG 12 .31%
CETM 0 .30%
Stay 13 .29%
Marb .21 .33%
RE .36 .33%
FT 0.0 .30%

Who's got or even seen ML progeny in a feedlot? I tend to like easy calvers that pour it on from day one all the way to the plate. Perfect? NO way! Profitable? He!! ya!

If those are his working clothes I sure wouldn't chase him out of my pasture.
Based on the EPDs the only htings I don;t like are his Milk, way too high for a low input herd, and both his calving ease and his daughters calving ease.
I'm one of those oddballs (agreements here) that would use him as a terminal sire. That's what we're looking at Romeo as but ML is way too Major of a League dollarwise for me.
I've I was seriously in the bull selling business it would be different though.

dun

Jeanne, I PMd you with my understanding of what happened. Hate to gossip. It was a bad deal and caused many folks heartache. The Piedmontese continue to be doing well with interest in them increasing each year.

I just wanted to get some opinions from you guys. I really like both of these bulls! A lot of you guys have good cattle knowledge...so I wanted to pick your brains.

If people on here have a $ interest in either bull, please don't think that I would want anyone to talk bad about either animal. I just took the ML pic from one of the partner's website. That was the only broad side pic I've seen. I'm just trying to build the best red angus herd that I can. I hope genex, ABS, and all parties that use these bulls, including me, make a lot of money.

Ollie, the bull in my avatar is not mine. He was one of the examples that CT gave. I just assumed he was RA. Oh yeah... long live epds. :p

fellersbarnownersranch,

I agree. The frontal pic of ML looks like $$$$ He looks awesome there. Have you used ML?

All the best,

Redangus

Have one young bull by him. He's a yearling and had not been babied and looks better than the contemporaries I am fattening in a lot--not fat, but very nice. Actual bw 68.5 He's on our site "Fellers Major Major" He has the same topline as ML--that's where I would improve him--but he is still built better than a lot of great cattle. IMHO. Expecting him to get 'em done this spring! Disposition-not a pet but not a maniac and respects authority. He fits into our program--easy calving--good growth without much assistance--and very good libido. ;-)

Latest posts