Which Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am trying to start out in the cattle business. I attend Tarleton State University in Texas and am looking to start small by purchasing a few head. Which breed would be best for a central texas atmosphere, and in high demand?

[email protected]

The demand for Angus cattle has really increased in the last 3-5 years. If you're thinking about a small purbred herd, give them some thought. The Texas Angus Assn. (http://www.texasangus.com) has two sales a year to help producers buy and sell their registered cows and a bull sale to market their bulls. There are also several regional associations. You can find links to them on the Texas site. If you're considering commercial cattle and will sell at the sale barn, visit your local sale barn and see what seems to be selling best. The Ranch to Rail program sponsored by Texas A&M is a good program to help small breeders retain ownership in a few cattle and get some carcass and gain information. If you're going to do the Ranch to Rail, you might look at some cows with a touch of ear and a good Angus bull. If you feel like you need some Brahman influence, the cows need it more than the bull. Good luck...

> I am trying to start out in the
> cattle business. I attend Tarleton
> State University in Texas and am
> looking to start small by
> purchasing a few head. Which breed
> would be best for a central texas
> atmosphere, and in high demand?

[email protected]

Thanks for the input. Like many young dreamers I want to make a lot of money at doing what I love. I have been consider Angus and Brangus as my main focus. A purebred herd is what I'm shooting for so I can make the big bucks. What's your suggestion on how to proceed with a small amount of money?

[email protected]

Invest the small amount of money until you have a large amount. Then you can start loosing it raising cattle.

dunmovin farms

> Thanks for the input. Like many
> young dreamers I want to make a
> lot of money at doing what I love.
> I have been consider Angus and
> Brangus as my main focus. A
> purebred herd is what I'm shooting
> for so I can make the big bucks.
> What's your suggestion on how to
> proceed with a small amount of
> money?

I wouldn't want to discourage you, but it's pretty hard to make a living in any production ag-related field. By the time you buy land, stock and equipment for enough head of cattle (horses, corn, etc.) to produce a liveable income, you've often run up a sizeable debt. While you're in school, try to work in some beef science courses, especially nutrition and reproduction. Contact some of the small Angus associations listed on the <A HREF="http://www.texasangus.com">www.texasangus.com</A> site and ask them to send you a catalog for their next sale. Learn about EPDs, attend some registered Angus sales and see what sells well in your area. Often at those smaller consignment sales you can buy a well bred 3-1 (bred cow w/calf) for $12-$1800. But you'll need to be sure you're comfortable with pedigrees, EPDs, etc., before you go out and start buying cows. Good luck...

> Thanks for the input. Like many
> young dreamers I want to make a
> lot of money at doing what I love.
> I have been consider Angus and
> Brangus as my main focus. A
> purebred herd is what I'm shooting
> for so I can make the big bucks.
> What's your suggestion on how to
> proceed with a small amount of
> money?

[email protected]

No doubt you have gotten some real good responses. I am just a few counties east of you and I prefer commercial Brangus cattle. Having said that, considering you are in the middle of the biggest dairy area in the state, I would suggest that while you are learning, you might consider raising Holstein calves. Contact some of the bigger dairies, buy calves as cheap as possible, find time to bottle feed them for a few weeks and get them on feed. Learning the basics of raising calves is about the same for scrub calves or $1200.00 registered stock and the risk is not nearly as great. Shoot for your registerd herd but you can investigate the various breeds while you get a great education at Tarleton and with the Holstein calves, and hopefully turn a little profit. Ranch to Rail probably will not want your calves but you will have plenty of time to study carcass and yield information later.

Just another opinion.

Mack

[email protected]

A good breed to raise is santa gertrudis . They have good temperments and are very gentle. I raise them and show them. I have had good sucess with them.

[email protected]

Latest posts