Which Breed would you choose?

Help Support CattleToday:

Okay so I'll be honest and got bored with the veeery looooong post, and didnt read it all but I got the gist of it.

And those first three continental breeds you mentioned, I can tell you right now CharxMG and LimxMG are ridiculously good animals, I have put a lot of them through carcase competitions (and if you have spent time in Australia you will know our steer carcase comps are very different to the US steer beauty parades). I probably have some data on the steers I put through and their carcase attributes, but being that we have a VERY different grading system I am not sure it would be relevant.

I will tell you though that the MG softens those cattle down, gives them a better finish, better marbling, and finishes them earlier than a straight Char or Limo.

TY TopHand. I think the solution is to cut the packer out of my business. Anyone that doesn't share information with me, means they are attempting to acquire more of the total end user pie thereby cutting me out what I deserve to survive, and I therefore won't share information, or raw product for that matter, with them (the packer). There are a couple of ways I intend to go about this, both of which may eventually train the packer to treat the small guy better. The first and for limited captitalized ranchers, is to sell directly to the retail end user and cut the middle guy out. Half Organic themes could be used to take double market share from the packer. The second way for well capitalized ranchers, would be to start with establishing several southern packing operations with good corn connections that would be willing to treat the small rancher with respect and provide them with information of what is hot and what is not. In other words, treat one like they would want to be treated (one of the ten commandments). To be respectful to you, I will reply in the spirit of your post and willingness to educate.

Keren":3t9ipklf said:
Okay so I'll be honest and got bored with the veeery looooong post, and didnt read it all but I got the gist of it.

And those first three continental breeds you mentioned, I can tell you right now CharxMG and LimxMG are ridiculously good animals, I have put a lot of them through carcase competitions (and if you have spent time in Australia you will know our steer carcase comps are very different to the US steer beauty parades). I probably have some data on the steers I put through and their carcase attributes, but being that we have a VERY different grading system I am not sure it would be relevant.

I will tell you though that the MG softens those cattle down, gives them a better finish, better marbling, and finishes them earlier than a straight Char or Limo.

Keren & HerefordSire - doesn't matter what you think. 4CBigHat is here doing nothing more than be the copy/paste king. 4CBigHat is right, everyone else is wrong. No need for different breeds. All cows should be the same, uniform creatures.

Any thoughtful conversation you try to have with 4CBigHat is a waste of time.

The feeders aren't going to share the information they have --- Information costs money--- yeah--those buyers by a group of calves at the sale and they have 5 turds in there they run them back threw again because they didn't want them to begin with -- you don't care though because all you care about are quantity pounds and you leave happy and at the end of the day you still don't have a clue about quality pounds or the finishing process. Kids geez[/quote] bull ... you say sht that dont make sence, then you attack someone that want too make heads or tail from it[/quote]
wow you need some spell check --- answer the questions if you can -- maybe after you re-read it you can make "sence ov it" since you want "too" makes heads or tail frum it"

HerefordSire":2pas6567 said:
TY TopHand. I think the solution is to cut the packer out of my business.Sure you can just grow your cows and calves and never sell any and just bury them when they die --good idea---

Anyone that doesn't share information with me, means they are attempting to acquire more of the total end user pie thereby cutting me out what I deserve to survive, and I therefore won't share information, or raw product for that matter, with them (the packer). There are a couple of ways I intend to go about this, both of which may eventually train the packer to treat the small guy better. That's the whole point --- you don't deserve anything --who says you deserve anything?? you jest.... when you show up with your product to sell it and you dont have any info -- they will say well we can give you bottom price and if you want better bring me some real data

The first and for limited captitalized ranchers, is to sell directly to the retail end user and cut the middle guy out. You could do that but since your product is so un-uniform you will have difficulty selling it to the return customer- consumers want to be able to have a piece of beef that is exactly the same every time, you say that isn't fair-- I say too bad -- for example: wendy's hamburgers taste the same whether you buy one in Olympia or Miami. So you want to cut the stocker, feed yard and packer out? Never happen, you need them to push your un-uniform products

Half Organic themes could be used to take double market share from the packer. I managed an Organic beef cow/calf, stocker, feed yard, dairy veal, turkey (in season) and swine operation and Organic Meats brought the following--- $41.00 / lb for Ancient White Park beef primals, organic veal $17.00 / lb primals; SH/Angus beef $32.00 / lb primals; 12.00 / lb for Swine primals, and Thanksgiving Turkeys (organic) $200.00 per 20 lb bird (dressed). so half organic won't get it --- let's call it natural beef instead -- that is what you are talking about. Organic Standards are high and most operations can't meet the HAACCP guidelines or their Farm Plan designated by Organic Inspections.
The second way for well capitalized ranchers, would be to start with establishing several southern packing operationsyou going to pay union labor? you bet you will with good corn connections you better line up some feed yards first and who is going to do that job? that would be willing to treat the small rancher with respect and provide them with informationNews flash-- no one cares about you and your small operation --my whole point to being able to work together-- ranchers won't work together for a common cause because everyone thinks they know all they need to know already. of what is hot and what is not.Here again, I don't want to burst your bubble, but until you can raise an uniform product, you cant get the capital holders to invest in that kind of operation; plus everyone knows that the US rancher is too independent and won't cooperate well enough for success-- the bankers know it too.

In other words, treat one like they would want to be treated (one of the ten commandments) Sounds good, but doesn't happen too often ( good, bad or otherwise) in business practice. can al you say be done -- sure it can be done, but not until you can find many producers that will work together. To be respectful to you, I will reply in the spirit of your post and willingness to educate.
I wish you would go to the breeding board and read a post of mine on genetic diversity and AI---- then you will understand many things.
Keep posting -- good ideas

What you do now?

I recently dumped Angus cross cows before the market really tanked. I continue to raise Hereford seedstock, however, I am disgruntled with the AHA.

What breeds you chose and why?

I chose black and red white face cow-calf production to receive premiums for local sale barn directed cattle while coveting and multiplying valuable seedstock simultaneously.

What you would change in your operations having this information before you?

I will now cut the packer out of my business. I now know a packer is trying to take my share of the net profit, I will further educate myself in yield grades and quality and begin to raise freezer beef on a small, then large scale, and OR begin operations on a corn based southern beef packing company.

I just wish 4ctopper would show us short bus people a picture of a few of his perfect cow critters. Just one or two would do. They do say a picture is worth a thousand words. I think topper is a politican only people i have ever heard spew so much Bull Crap was politicans.

That is a quality response from a TAMU graduate --- let me re-phrase that >> A TAMU graduate that squeezed a Bachelor degree out of just 6 years of time spent pursuing a 4 yr degree---wow[/quote]

Bachelors degree?? And it was 8 years, not 6. I got a sack full of degrees but not good without some common sense. and don't forget that even with your so called sack of degrees you still don't have an educated response to any of the questions above. The reason? poorly educated and when put to the test you have nothing to share but garbage. Most proud degree is Honorable Discharge from Uncle Sam Univ. well good you have done at least one good thing with your spare time It's obvious you're no Aggie...they have never turned out little turds like you from down there.

H-1 Rough Riders 2nd Regiment, Corp of Cadets, TAMU Class on '83 H-1 is a high contributor to SEAL Platoon – a Texas A&M special unit that runs the "boot camp" to become a Navy SEAL.
Next time I am in CS you can come down to the "Shickin" I will bring my senior boots for you to put a shine on them for me.

Gig'em

HerefordSire":k0vukmfe said:
What you do now?

I recently dumped Angus cross cows before the market really tanked. I continue to raise Hereford seedstock, however, I am disgruntled with the AHA.

What breeds you chose and why?

I chose black and red white face cow-calf production to receive premiums for local sale barn directed cattle while coveting and multiplying valuable seedstock simultaneously.

What you would change in your operations having this information before you?

I will now cut the packer out of my business. I now know a packer is trying to take my share of the net profit, I will further educate myself in yield grades and quality and begin to raise freezer beef on a small, then large scale, and OR begin operations on a corn based southern beef packing company.

thanks for answering the questions raised --- and my hat is off to you :tiphat: because out of the 600+ people that read this post today only you were willing to further educate yourself in your chosen field -- kinda sad isn't it-- to think that with a group of our peers only 1 person is willing to further research and learn about the business they are in-- that is amazing.

I wish you luck in all your endeavors and I am glad to know ONE person that has the drive to succeed---------- You don't need me anymore-- This is my last Post on CT.... but do me one favor---- please help some of these know-it-alls-- as I helped you think about your operation -- so you do the Christian thing--- maybe it isn't one of the 10 commandments -- but pass on your knowledge to someone else as there is no reason generation after generation has to re-invent the wheel

Red Bull Breeder":1owejyaa said:
I just wish 4ctopper would show us short bus people a picture of a few of his perfect cow critters. Just one or two would do. They do say a picture is worth a thousand words. I think topper is a politican only people i have ever heard spew so much Bull Crap was politicans.
If I was bashing politicians --- I would begin by having the ability to spell the word.
lol @ politicans

kids these days -- lol

Red Bull Breeder":3mawc2v3 said:

:lol2: I've been waiting for some pics too! Tophat has to have one heck of a herd, he's edumacated and been at it 40 years, with those kind of credentials you can't go wrong! :nod:

Oh you kids indeed.......

So, 4CBigHat,

It appears that most all of your posts are "what is" type of questions. What is the ideal breed, what is the ideal bull, what is, what is, what is.

I must say that I admire you for asking all of these questions before entering into the cattle business. This is a tough business to make money in and it appears that you're trying to do your homework before starting.

You have been amusing, but your value as a play toy only has a limited shelf life.

Good luck in your future endeavors in the cattle raising business. Once you get some real world experience, then perhaps you can share some thoughtful, helpful, and sincere comments about the real world and real cattle.

Till then, good luck and good-bye. You're a waste of perfectly good air and bandwidth...........

grannysoo said:
Oh you kids indeed.......

So, 4CBigHat,

It appears that most all of your posts are "what is" type of questions. What is the ideal breed, what is the ideal bull, what is, what is, what is.

I must say that I admire you for asking all of these questions before entering into the cattle business. This is a tough business to make money in and it appears that you're trying to do your homework before starting.

You have been amusing, but your value as a play toy only has a limited shelf life.

Good luck in your future endeavors in the cattle raising business. Once you get some real world experience, then perhaps you can share some thoughtful, helpful, and sincere comments about the real world and real cattle.

I just opened this post to see what garbage you were spewing as for bandwith if that is an issue for you in 2009--- you have lots of issues indeed -- good luck to you too -- even in South GA-- UGA isn't that far-- and with the Pell Grant and Lotto assistance you could shine in a decade.

How about them pictures Topper. Just when are you going to show us some of them greatest of the great cows. I just can't wait till you post them for our veiwing pleasure. I would almost bet they will be super finishing Simmangus23

Red Bull Breeder":fs9yj2rg said:
How about them pictures Topper. Just when are you going to show us some of them greatest of the great cows. I just can't wait till you post them for our veiwing pleasure. I would almost bet they will be super finishing Simmangus23

I especially want to see one of the nought ones! I say it's time to put up or shut! :nod:

A Cattle Feeder's Perspective on Limousin
Dec 27th, 2008 | By Andy | Category: WHAT'S NEW
Tom Brink of Five Rivers Cattle Feeding provided a feeder's perspective on Limousin cattle.

Brink drummed up the important role genetics play in effective feeder cattle. Feed efficiency and fat cover are two important feedlot characteristics that can be largely impacted by quality genetics. Brink said cattle genetics have improved greatly over the years. Improved feedlot performance has provided strong evidence of this. "But," Brink said, "there is much more work to be done in genetic improvement."

One area he'd like to see more consistent is frame size. "The beef industry wants a steer that can put up a carcass between 700 and 800 pounds," Brink said. He continued that there are still too many smaller-framed calves. "The bigger steers eat a little more feed, eat a lot faster, and convert a lot more efficiently."

Demands for bigger calves call for larger cows. This affects seedstock breeders as bigger cows generally cost more to maintain. "It's important to keep performance in your cattle," said Brink, "We understand that not all cows can be 1500 pounds but don't get caught up in breeding small cows."

Brink's first preference when feeding cattle are Angus x Continental cross calves. He said that animals with these type of genetics usually are the most consistent at eating, grading, and yielding with just the right size.

Brink also provided a few advantages to feeding out Limousin calves. He said that they generally have good frame and grow well. Brink complimented the role Limousin can play in providing red meat yield but said that the industry has not fully valued this characteristic versus quality grade. This undervaluation is not a good thing but clearly a reality in the beef industry.

RD-Sam":3jgdfz64 said:
Red Bull Breeder":3jgdfz64 said:

I especially want to see one of the nought ones! I say it's time to put up or shut! :nod:
If you want to see a "nought" one visit a PB Limmi breeder near you

4CTophand":1vxxsosi said:
Jovid":1vxxsosi said:
I just have two questions.

1. Where did you get your data? keep reading

2. How long did it take you to make this up? This is the kind of reply I can expect from someone who cannot answer even one of my questions. Sad indeed.

Anyone that knows anything about some of these breeds knows this data is obviously not true.
wrong again sonny

Just answer the questions. That's all I have asked you to do is answer my two questions.

Red Bull Breeder":2dxh51x7 said:
A Cattle Feeder's Perspective on Limousin
Dec 27th, 2008 | By Andy | Category: WHAT'S NEW
Tom Brink of Five Rivers Cattle Feeding provided a feeder's perspective on Limousin cattle.

Brink's first preference when feeding cattle are Angus x Continental cross calves. ( Simm x Angus)-- read it and weep gentleman-- thank you for your honesty red bull and if you need some good Simm bulls give me a call or some Simm cows or Angus Cows He said that animals with these type of genetics usually are the most consistent at eating, grading, and yielding with just the right size. thank you red bull for providing more proof

Brink also provided a few advantages to feeding out Limousin calves. He said that they generally have good frame and grow well. Brink complimented the role Limousin can play in providing red meat yield but said that the industry has not fully valued this characteristic versus quality grade.read between the lines here -- that is a nice way of saying that the Limmi won't provide the Quality Grades the beef industry insists upon This undervaluation is not a good thing but clearly a reality in the beef industry.

With red Bulls assistance --thank you by the way -- I rest my case. This post can now be closed.
Next Subject Please-- but any further posts from me will have to wait until I get back from Oxfordshire, UK

Latest posts