Which Breed would you choose?

Help Support CattleToday:

Your so noble trying to teach us and save us from our stupid ways,I remember you from before and diesel is cheaper now ;-).

I just have two questions.

1. Where did you get your data?

2. How long did it take you to make this up?

Anyone that knows anything about some of these breeds knows this data is obviously not true.

4CTophand":1h7v7b61 said:
Now that all info is there let's see some answers.......
And if you dont understand the questions ask a peer --my last post. :tiphat:

Amazing. I will give you one thing, and that is that you are the king of copy/paste.........

You still haven't answered the corn planting question.

4CBigHat - all hat / no cattle.

TY TopHand. I still believe there is one more step I need before I can reply properly. Shouldn't each category you have listed (each section of bold print) have an associated market price that a packer is willing to pay? That way, I can realisticly and effectively evaluate the need to switch or breed higher yield and or quality. The way it is written right now, it appears there is an incentive to go the direction you are pointing, but the incentive is not quantified. In other words, why should I consider any change no matter what I am raising if I have no printed reward? I personally would be better off to evaluate local and national market conditions to understand why higher bid prices at the sale barns are received (like BWF premiums) or why a rancher really wants to payer premium prices for a bull (because of high IMF) rather than a packer. After all, the price a packer shells out is not the same as a sale barn bid buyer or a rancher buying seed stock. Although all are related, you have to agree the spreads are different.

Edit: Okay I'll bite. What about Murray Gray and how they would function in my climate? Not so much the 110 degree heat during the day, but when the lows over night are still in the 80's? You don't even mention Murray Grays.

Don't have alot of research data on Murray Gray, these were popular breeds in the US. But I would like to see some data -- but you telling me that they are good isn't gonna be good enough --- show me the numbers!

I have only been around cattle for about 40 years. I have only owned cattle for about 20 or so. I have less than 100 head at the moment. I am not about to change what I have been doing based on a two minute read from someone who has probably never raised cattle in the conditions I raise them in.[/quote]

Are you sure about that? --

My Post wasn't the kind of Post to alienate anyone --it was asking your opinion about these cattle and possible crosses. What would have been nice is that you took the time to say ---" I would have crossed them with Murray Grays because....................................................................

As that is what I was looking for..... :tiphat:

HerefordSire":2ctvmjln said:
TY TopHand. I still believe there is one more step I need before I can reply properly. Shouldn't each category you have listed (each section of bold print) have an associated market price that a packer is willing to pay? Do your own homework on Prices--- I just want you to answer a few questions based on the info provided That way, I can realisticly and effectively evaluate the need to switch or breed higher yield and or quality. Again do your own homework on prices, but know this-- without a track record of performance (real data)-- you wont fare too well --- instead of asking me what the packers numbers are--- I first have to know what your track record is -- do you have any real data if not get some --then we can talk further

The way it is written right now, it appears there is an incentive to go the direction you are pointing, but the incentive is not quantified. In other words, why should I consider any change no matter what I am raising if I have no printed reward? Before you can be rewarded you have to supply the packer with some real data --again if you don't have any??? Get some.. I am waiting on you--not the other way around. You have to do it yourself -- no one will give it to you.

I personally would be better off to evaluate local and national market conditions to understand why higher bid prices at the sale barns are received (like BWF premiums)The reason those buyers are paying those premiums is because they have huge amounts of real data on BWF calves from Birth to harvest or why a rancher really wants to payer premium prices for a bull (because of high IMF) rather than a packer. when you are considering buying a potential herd sire that has an excellent IMF -- you are doing so because why? ___________________ Because the end user (almost) is looking for calves with those traits ( pssssst > The packer Because it increases your profit.

After all, the price a packer shells out is not the same as a sale barn bid buyer or a rancher buying seed stock. Although all are related, you have to agree the spreads are different.

Yes of course the spreads are different. the Lone Star State has a good program called Ranch to Rail call TAMU---
I appreciate your responses -- as they are one of the few good ones, actually. I will try to make this short>>>>>

What I did is for years was a commercial cow/calf operation selling my calves at weaning-- I was starving....... So I ventured off into the stockers', too>> life got better.. then I began to retain ownership on some of my calves to the feed yard and to the rail. Life got even better. The most important thing I got out of all that riggamaroe was information... because without the info --- you can starve.

Early on, I went out and bought 5 Herefords, 5 Ang 5 Char, 5 Simm. 5 Limm etc and crossed them and crossed them again --had all the info from birth to harvest. Learned a lot. What worked best for my resources, environment, what paid the best what was a big loser...

After all, the feed yard has info (although won't share it) on millions of every breed and cross to ever come threw the gate and there is NO MYSTERY about what works the best and what pays the best. There is no mystery of what breeds and/or crosses gain the best, finish the soonest, grade the best, etc...

the Packer is not the enemy--- the enemy is the unwillingness of the commercial cattleman to put a check on what HE IS DOING.It's hard to be critical of yourself, but to succeed it is a must. You must ask yourself --what breed or cross breed do I need to be growing to satisfy the end user (almost) (Packer)?

I dont suggest you change anything you are doing--- but don't blame the economy, the packer, the feeder, the stocker operator, the consumer or the Fed Govt..... because the only thing stopping you from excellence-- is you.

grannysoo":1fsemorq said:
4CTophand":1fsemorq said:
Now that all info is there let's see some answers.......
And if you dont understand the questions ask a peer --my last post. :tiphat:

Amazing. I will give you one thing, and that is that you are the king of copy/paste......... nahhh not all this is copy paste-- I wish as answering some of your questions is quite lengthy I would much rather just answer questions than make them... like yall do -- you dont ask any you make up answers (well some do)

You still haven't answered the corn planting question. yeah already answered it --- keep reading lil girl

Jovid":b1487rpk said:
I just have two questions.

1. Where did you get your data? keep reading

2. How long did it take you to make this up? This is the kind of reply I can expect from someone who cannot answer even one of my questions. Sad indeed.

Anyone that knows anything about some of these breeds knows this data is obviously not true.
wrong again sonny

4CTophand":qvmgzo4o said:
HerefordSire":qvmgzo4o said:
TY TopHand. I still believe there is one more step I need before I can reply properly. Shouldn't each category you have listed (each section of bold print) have an associated market price that a packer is willing to pay? Do your own homework on Prices--- I just want you to answer a few questions based on the info provided That way, I can realisticly and effectively evaluate the need to switch or breed higher yield and or quality. Again do your own homework on prices, but know this-- without a track record of performance (real data)-- you wont fare too well --- instead of asking me what the packers numbers are--- I first have to know what your track record is -- do you have any real data if not get some --then we can talk further

The way it is written right now, it appears there is an incentive to go the direction you are pointing, but the incentive is not quantified. In other words, why should I consider any change no matter what I am raising if I have no printed reward? Before you can be rewarded you have to supply the packer with some real data --again if you don't have any??? Get some.. I am waiting on you--not the other way around. You have to do it yourself -- no one will give it to you.

I personally would be better off to evaluate local and national market conditions to understand why higher bid prices at the sale barns are received (like BWF premiums)The reason those buyers are paying those premiums is because they have huge amounts of real data on BWF calves from Birth to harvest or why a rancher really wants to payer premium prices for a bull (because of high IMF) rather than a packer. when you are considering buying a potential herd sire that has an excellent IMF -- you are doing so because why? ___________________ Because the end user (almost) is looking for calves with those traits ( pssssst > The packer Because it increases your profit.

After all, the price a packer shells out is not the same as a sale barn bid buyer or a rancher buying seed stock. Although all are related, you have to agree the spreads are different.

Yes of course the spreads are different. the Lone Star State has a good program called Ranch to Rail call TAMU---
I appreciate your responses -- as they are one of the few good ones, actually. I will try to make this short>>>>>

What I did is for years was a commercial cow/calf operation selling my calves at weaning-- I was starving....... So I ventured off into the stockers', too>> life got better.. then I began to retain ownership on some of my calves to the feed yard and to the rail. Life got even better. The most important thing I got out of all that riggamaroe was information... because without the info --- you can starve.

Early on, I went out and bought 5 Herefords, 5 Ang 5 Char, 5 Simm. 5 Limm etc and crossed them and crossed them again --had all the info from birth to harvest. Learned a lot. What worked best for my resources, environment, what paid the best what was a big loser...

After all, the feed yard has info (although won't share it) on millions of every breed and cross to ever come threw the gate and there is NO MYSTERY about what works the best and what pays the best. There is no mystery of what breeds and/or crosses gain the best, finish the soonest, grade the best, etc...
the Packer is not the enemy--- the enemy is the unwillingness of the commercial cattleman to put a check on what HE IS DOING.It's hard to be critical of yourself, but to succeed it is a must. You must ask yourself --what breed or cross breed do I need to be growing to satisfy the end user (almost) (Packer)?

I dont suggest you change anything you are doing--- but don't blame the economy, the packer, the feeder, the stocker operator, the consumer or the Fed Govt..... because the only thing stopping you from excellence-- is you.
you mean the feed lot don't want too share with its customers, the kind of animal they want ? . now i could see the buyer trying too pull this off but not the feedlots

4CTophand":20o77knp said:
HerefordSire":20o77knp said:

Excellence is a matter of opinion. It's also a matter of your goals, your region, you marketing strategies, your profit margin, your efficiency, and too many other variables to mention.

EAT BEEF":2fv1ogkl said:
Your so noble trying to teach us and save us from our stupid ways,I remember you from before and diesel is cheaper now ;-).
Another educated response -- your family must be really Proud of ya

Limomike":yn4b6364 said:
That is quite a bit of reading material... and not a word mentioned about Beefmasters
It is NOT going to have an affect on what I do currently nor what I do in the future. What you do now?
Raise feeder calves. cow /calf operation

What breeds you chose and why?
Mostly Beefmaster and Red Angus cows and a few Herefords ...with a black Limousin bull.
Why? Disposition, great growth factor, calving ease.
What you would change in your operations having this information before you?
Not much.
That's why I asked about YOUR OPINION--- add Beefmaster and tell me why you would cross them with any of those breeds -- what will I gain from crossing Beefmaster with a Red Poll? You are a BBU -- you should know what to tell me-- Cmon share it ..........

you mean the feed lot don't want too share with its customers, the kind of animal they want ? . now i could see the buyer trying too pull this off but not the feedlots[/quote]
The feeders aren't going to share the information they have --- Information costs money--- yeah--those buyers by a group of calves at the sale and they have 5 turds in there they run them back threw again because they didn't want them to begin with -- you don't care though because all you care about are quantity pounds and you leave happy and at the end of the day you still don't have a clue about quality pounds or the finishing process. Kids geez

brandonm_13":3ndgkbdv said:
4CTophand":3ndgkbdv said:
HerefordSire":3ndgkbdv said:

Excellence is a matter of opinion. It's also a matter of your goals Mine is to make money and not lose money, your region region and excellence has nothing to do with one another kinda like a football bat, you marketing strategies well duh, your profit margin has nothing to do with excellence, your efficiency another duh, and too many other variables to mention.

well said Brandon -- looks like you have a firm grasp of the Obvious. Anymore real answers to add???

4CTophand":1f2t56or said:
you mean the feed lot don't want too share with its customers, the kind of animal they want ? . now i could see the buyer trying too pull this off but not the feedlots
The feeders aren't going to share the information they have --- Information costs money--- yeah--those buyers by a group of calves at the sale and they have 5 turds in there they run them back threw again because they didn't want them to begin with -- you don't care though because all you care about are quantity pounds and you leave happy and at the end of the day you still don't have a clue about quality pounds or the finishing process. Kids geez[/quote] bull ... you say sht that dont make sence, then you attack someone that want too make heads or tail from it

][quote="TexasBred":1hna2qux said:
backhoeboogie":1hna2qux said:
4CTophand":1hna2qux said:
What you would change in your operations having this information before you?

That sad thing is you are probably not kidding.

That is a quality response from a TAMU graduate --- let me re-phrase that >> A TAMU graduate that squeezed a Bachelor degree out of just 6 years of time spent pursuing a 4 yr degree---wow[/quote]

Bachelors degree?? And it was 8 years, not 6. I got a sack full of degrees but not good without some common sense. Most proud degree is Honorable Discharge from Uncle Sam Univ. It's obvious you're no Aggie...they have never turned out little turds like you from down there.

Keep posting. Laughing breaks the monotony. :lol: :lol:

4CTophand":1lxwf7dx said:
You still haven't answered the corn planting question. yeah already answered it --- keep reading lil girl

:lol: :lol: :lol: This lil girl got something for you big man. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obvious that your brilliance is somewhat lacking. Your long copy/paste posts are probably making up for being short in other areas...........

Some have called you sparky, I think I'll just call you tiny.

You so funny 4CBigHat. You need to be a comedian instead of that big rancher that you are.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: (and yes, I'm laughing at you!)

Be careful what you say to those "lil girls". You know not from whence you speak.

Once again: 4CBigHat - all hat / no cattle.

Latest posts