Which Breed would you choose?

Help Support CattleToday:

4CTophand":iwxmyu1i said:
The feeders aren't going to share the information they have --- Information costs money--- yeah--those buyers by a group of calves at the sale and they have 5 turds in there they run them back threw again because they didn't want them to begin with -- you don't care though because all you care about are quantity pounds and you leave happy and at the end of the day you still don't have a clue about quality pounds or the finishing process. Kids geez
bull ... you say sht that dont make sence, then you attack someone that want too make heads or tail from it[/quote]
wow you need some spell check --- answer the questions if you can -- maybe after you re-read it you can make "sence ov it" since you want "too" makes heads or tail frum it"[/quote]
:cry2: see what i mean.... you know you'r opinion might actually carry some weight.....> "iF"< you new what the heL# you were talking about..

4CTophand":1gjdvfq7 said:
That is a quality response from a TAMU graduate --- let me re-phrase that >> A TAMU graduate that squeezed a Bachelor degree out of just 6 years of time spent pursuing a 4 yr degree---wow

Bachelors degree?? And it was 8 years, not 6. I got a sack full of degrees but not good without some common sense. and don't forget that even with your so called sack of degrees you still don't have an educated response to any of the questions above. The reason? poorly educated and when put to the test you have nothing to share but garbage. Most proud degree is Honorable Discharge from Uncle Sam Univ. well good you have done at least one good thing with your spare time It's obvious you're no Aggie...they have never turned out little turds like you from down there.

H-1 Rough Riders 2nd Regiment, Corp of Cadets, TAMU Class on '83 H-1 is a high contributor to SEAL Platoon – a Texas A&M special unit that runs the "boot camp" to become a Navy SEAL.
Next time I am in CS you can come down to the "Shickin" I will bring my senior boots for you to put a shine on them for me.

Gig'em[/quote]

Good try 4C...unfortunately for you H-1 was not founded until 1992....and and "1" refers to Brigade, not regiment. None of the Army companys went past "G" in the 80's... As for your senior boots...if you got'em then you should be able to also tell me about your military career (It comes with getting your commision when you graduate and the only way to get Sr. boots as well).....I'm listening. Go for it.

Gig'em[/quote]

HerefordSire":8nopzlb7 said:
I now know a packer is trying to take my share of the net profit, I will further educate myself in yield grades and quality and begin to raise freezer beef on a small, then large scale, and OR begin operations on a corn based southern beef packing company.

Herefordsire, there is hope for you afterall :clap:

They say that 87% of the statistics cited in a discussion like this are made up on the spot.

I find that this is true 98.2% of the time. :tiphat:

I have been raising Brahman cattle for many years. They fit in well with the environment in Southwest Arkansas. They are heat tolerant and pest resistant and their foraging abilities are legendary. The problem with marketing purebred Brahman cattle this far north, is that those that don't go by private treaty, are penalized at the yard. To overcome this limitation I have recently added a group of Hereford heifers and a Hereford bull to the operation. Brafords are selling well in this area and don't seem to be as penalized at the yard. We'll see.

Just a private not to CT. I have a doctorate in the biological sciences and my wife and only daughter are veterinarians. We have also had cattle since the early 80's, so I think we know a little about animal husbandry. I read this board because I find it to be thought provoking and insightful. I am humbled by some of the expert opinions that are posted here and I realize how much I still have to learn. I have posted some questions that you and others have responded to in a thoughtful manner and I truly appreciate it. I may not agree with everything that is said on this board but overall I find it to be a valuable resource. I think that you could also benefit form the expertise available here. There is a way to ask questions and not be offensive. Flaunting your expertise and education is never a good idea and accomplishes little.

KNERSIE":4hq98cpe said:
HerefordSire":4hq98cpe said:
I now know a packer is trying to take my share of the net profit, I will further educate myself in yield grades and quality and begin to raise freezer beef on a small, then large scale, and OR begin operations on a corn based southern beef packing company.

TY Knersie! How feasible is starting out small and growing a couple of hundred acres of field corn and or corn silage and store the feed, breeding commercial cows and weaning the calves, backgrounding the calves, feeding the calves out, and hiring a full time butcher in a licensed facility in order to generate higher quality beef but lower prices for local and statewide clientele?

HerefordSire":wadj4408 said:
KNERSIE":wadj4408 said:
HerefordSire":wadj4408 said:

TY Knersie! How feasible is starting out small and growing a couple of hundred acres of field corn and or corn silage and store the feed, breeding commercial cows and weaning the calves, backgrounding the calves, feeding the calves out, and hiring a full time butcher in a licensed facility in order to generate higher quality beef but lower prices for local and statewide clientele?

Only you can answer that question, but to me it sounds much more achievable in the long run than some of your other ideas.

Jim62":23eq71yz said:
They say that 87% of the statistics cited in a discussion like this are made up on the spot.

On these forums sometimes 87% of resume credentials are made up on the spot too.

Brandonm22":w6vfdbli said:
Jim62":w6vfdbli said:

On these forums sometimes 87% of resume credentials are made up on the spot too.

Only when we tone it down as to not appear overly qualified :roll: :roll: :roll:

4CTophand":xuknc52q said:

Excellence is a matter of opinion. It's also a matter of your goals Mine is to make money and not lose money, your region region and excellence has nothing to do with one another kinda like a football bat, you marketing strategies well duh, your profit margin has nothing to do with excellence, your efficiency another duh, and too many other variables to mention.

well said Brandon -- looks like you have a firm grasp of the Obvious. Anymore real answers to add???[/quote]

Funny thing is, if you don't see how each of those things correlate to excellence, then the only obvious thing I would say is how ignorant you are. If someone makes a post you like, then they are willing to "educate" themselves. If not, they are bound to ridicule. I agree with everyone else, let's see some of those perfect cows. Of course if a Limousin can't have a good carcass (like was proved earlier), then maybe you're wrong about a few other things too.

novatech":1enft9tp said:
Yield Grade 0
A few out there and they end up as 1, but are really zero.
So what you are saying is that you made that part up? :nod:
Again where did You get your statistics?

Sure he made that part up. Here is the link to the site he copied and pasted from.

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading.html

As you can see in the USDA Beef Yield Grades section he had to conveniently create Yield Grade 0.

TY Knersie! How feasible is starting out small and growing a couple of hundred acres of field corn and or corn silage and store the feed, breeding commercial cows and weaning the calves, backgrounding the calves, feeding the calves out, and hiring a full time butcher in a licensed facility in order to generate higher quality beef but lower prices for local and statewide clientele?[/quote]

Herefordsire, do some research on your local markets, I set up a licensed farm shop near Salisbury, Wiltshire when I was last in England, the grass fed North Devon were a popular product, but we relied on the free range pork as well, with the dry-cured bacon being a big drawcard, we nerworked with other producers for free range chickens,eggs etc. We could discuss this further on a seperate thread or via pm.

With so many forum members visiting here in Oxford, I will have to keep the kettle on for all the pots of tea!!

ONEGICOP":2e2rphzz said:
novatech":2e2rphzz said:
Yield Grade 0
A few out there and they end up as 1, but are really zero.
So what you are saying is that you made that part up? :nod:
Again where did You get your statistics?

Sure he made that part up. Here is the link to the site he copied and pasted from.

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading.html

As you can see in the USDA Beef Yield Grades section he had to conveniently create Yield Grade 0.
I saw that one. He just added that part to make himself look credible for previous posts.
Never figured out why he thinks he has to do that. It's so much easier to own up to a screw up. He would gain a little credibility to boot. We can't all be TOP HAT though. Heck I love to be corrected. Its part of learning. I will have to admit I will argue until proven wrong. Bad habit I guess. But it does give Dun something to do. :lol:
Could it be that the 1 and zero thing actually means he thinks he is #1 be really is a zero. :banana: :lol:

Latest posts