Which breed of cattle will increase in popularity fastest

Help Support CattleToday:

Hello Brandon...its nice to see that at least your not taking up for sorry cattle or calling me names. LOL And we dont disagree on everthing..Ive read enough of your postings to know that if it was up to you that nobody would have any junky cattle...but it almost seems like you blame it on the feedlots because some of these gusy raise junk. I know what your saying about if feeders dont buy sorry cattle some of em would go away but in markets like these with feeder cattle numbers the way they are its not going to happen...they will fill up pens with whatever it takes to sell grain. But its a feedyard managers job to keep pens full so what does he do?? I think its up to the indivicual producer to have the integrity to want to raise quality catle..but we both know that money incentive helps give him that integrity. LOL
I also think your off on the the 5cents per pound you say is the difference in buying quality claves and sorry calves...if just a couple of us tell our buyers to leave the junk alone and push harder for the best calves that differnce will be closer to 2 bits a pound...dont you think??

One thing is for sure and I think you will agree with me??...when we get a few years down the road...and feeder cattle numbesr improve to where there is not so much demand for just anyting to fill up pens..then we will see that spread change even more. My thinking is that when that time comes we will see some of the largest spred ever between weaned precon load lots of #1 calves and sorry bawling humpy plain calves

I didn't say there was a 5 cent spread, in fact in that post I said there was usually a 10-15 cent cent spread. What I am questioning is the feedlot that won't pay another 5 cents to get that good calf so instead they take that sorry calf for 10 cents less; then complains about the quality of the calves in the pen. Right now I have a Cattle Today from October 15 in front of me. In Alabama in the 500-600 lbs steer weight class there is only a 9 cent spread. In the heifers there is a 5 cent spread. Bump it up to 600-700 lbs and the spread is 8 cent steers and 6 cent heifers. At 700-800 lbs there is a 2 cent spread for steers and 3 cent spread for heifers. Where are the docks for those horrible calves we are always hearing about? People are buying calves without even looking at them according to those numbers. Granted I see more spread than that typically; but not a lot more and don't tell me that things are going to change when cattle prices fall. Been there, done that and I saw some of the best calves I have ever raised selling for 60cents alongside their shaggy, narrow bodied, mongrelized, stockyard pen mates usually for close to the same money. During stocker season I actually often see a price per pound advantage for thin stunted looking calves because a lot of those guys want cheap earlier gains.

"Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way-I can't wait to look in the mirror-I get better looking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man......." :lol:

"Predictions," as Yogi Berra once said, "are always difficult--especially when they are about the future."

Bearing that in mind, I predict that in the next 20--30 years the beef industry as we know it will disappear. As science gets more adept at growing cells in a test-tube, the time will come when custom beef is grown in large vats from seed stock beef cells. Cows will be obsolete. Cowboying will be obsolete, and all cowboys--and not just the dime-store variety--will be "all hat and no cow."

With the advances in genetic engineering, this vat created beef can taste like any beef you wish. In addition, the undesireable aspects of beef will be genetically programed out of the product. Beef will have no cholestrol or polysaturated fats, but only the omega 3 kind found in deep water fish. In other words, not only will beef taste great, it will be as good for you as eating salmon.

Additionally, this means of production will mean that the steaks, roasts, etc. can be made from the get-go to conform to the shape and size favored by packers and the consumer, instead of being whatever size the cow that grew the steak was. Sirloin steaks, for example, would be completely square, and fit into the packer's boxes precisely. No wasted space.

The consumer could custom order beef for special events. For example, a housewife wishing to impress her dinner-party friends, could order a filet migon steak that is 2 feet across, and 6 inches thick, and is in the shape of the State of Texas.

The economy of growing beef directly from cells in a vat will be staggering, cutting out, as it does, not only all the middle men, but the "beginning men" as well. Food stuffs that are cheap but not good for a cow's gut, will be able to be processed so that it can be used to grow vat-raised beef.

The end result of this is that the beef cow breeds will join the lard-hog breeds on the extinction list.

Sure, you'll be able to find a few beef breeds at petting zoos. And of course, people will always keep longhorns for decorative purposes. But the cow of the future is the corriente, because about the only use cows will have in the future will be as roping calves for recreation purposes.

This presupposes that science will find a way to make milk with cow mammary glands fed in a vat. If not, then the Holstien will be the no. 1 cow breed. But I expect science will make the milk cow as obsolete as the beef cow.

Of course, as I said earlier, predictions are difficult. I could be wrong. I may have underestimated the black Angus people in their marketing ability. It is possible that the black angus folks, will start pushing genetics that make their cattle competitive with corriente for roping purposes, and will start pushing their cattle as the kind that are "good to rope, and when they burn out as roping calves, they taste good too!"

You just never know. :)