Which breed for eastern Oklahoma?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have recently relocated to eastern Oklahoma from western Nebraska. We have been told not to bring northern cattle here as they will drop weight and may not make it. We presently run angus crossbreds,but are open to other breeds. We have explored Beefmaster, Santa Cruz, Braford, Brangus, Santa Gertrudis, and several others. What is the best bang for the buck? We are looking to purchase fall calving cows in the next several weeks. Any advice will be surely appreciated.

Thank you, Debbie Miller, manager Wild West Enterprises Sallisaw, Oklahoma

[email protected]

If you had an established herd you should have taken them. Starting over will take several years to have a good balanced herd.

I've taken Canadian cattle to Texas and Mississippi and they have adapted fine.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> If you had an established herd you
> should have taken them. Starting
> over will take several years to
> have a good balanced herd.

> I've taken Canadian cattle to
> Texas and Mississippi and they
> have adapted fine.

> Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus
> Farms Alberta Canada

Thanks,Jason for your response. We sold our herd several years ago, so will be starting over anyway. We are really moving to the area because of our large quarter horse breeding operation. So what breed would you suggest now? I look forward to your next response.

Debbie

[email protected]

There's a large Angus operation in NE Oklahoma, Spur Ranch. And the Wann family has a sizeable Angus operation in SE Oklahoma at Poteau, OK (I think). Good Angus cattle will do well in eastern OK. BTW, the Oklahoma Beef, Inc. (OBI) bull sale will be held near Stillwater, OK on 3/31/03 if you need some bulls at that time. I visited with a rancher over the weekend who has for sale approx. 150 Angus cross bred heifers and cows bred for their second calf. If you want his name and phone number, let me know. His ranch is actually in southern OK, but he lives at Denison, TX. All breeds have negatives, but, overall, Angus cattle are as good as anything else and better than most. You might check your local sale barn if you'll be selling your cattle there and see what sells best. Also, the Future Beef operation in SE Kansas has been bought by a company that plans to sell a high-quality branded beef, Angus based. Good luck...

> We have recently relocated to
> eastern Oklahoma from western
> Nebraska. We have been told not to
> bring northern cattle here as they
> will drop weight and may not make
> it. We presently run angus
> crossbreds,but are open to other
> breeds. We have explored
> Beefmaster, Santa Cruz, Braford,
> Brangus, Santa Gertrudis, and
> several others. What is the best
> bang for the buck? We are looking
> to purchase fall calving cows in
> the next several weeks. Any advice
> will be surely appreciated.

> Thank you, Debbie Miller, manager
> Wild West Enterprises Sallisaw,
> Oklahoma

[email protected]

Unless you want to get into registered stuff, a good crossbred with Angus/Hereford/or Shorthorn and a little Brahman for the heat should make excellent momma cows. Or something like Simbra or Gelbrah bred to Angus. I'm prone to using Angus (we prefer the real ones, Reds) for the carcass quality. But as always, start with good cows, as good as you can afford, a couple fewer of higher quality are better then more of lesser quality. Consider AI to maximize your potential and investment. The key is hybrid vigor from good stock

dun

> Oklahoma

> Oklahoma Debbie, I own a dairy farm/beef cattle operation 50 miles south of you. We run approximatly 100 head of hereford, angus, brangus, & red angus. Our calves always sell at the top of the market & weaning weights are always competitive with exotic breeds. I have found you don't always have to A.I. or go exotic to get the best results. Hope everything works well for you.

[email protected]

> Thanks,Jason for your response. We
> sold our herd several years ago,
> so will be starting over anyway.
> We are really moving to the area
> because of our large quarter horse
> breeding operation. So what breed
> would you suggest now? I look
> forward to your next response.

> Debbie

There is going to be a Angus and Angus influenced sale in Enid on the 22nd. You should check on that. I am in North Texas and Angus do fine here.

[email protected]

I would suggest angus or angus/herdford crosses. Start with cows that are raised under similar conditions that you have. Keep good records and cull poor performers and use the best Angus bulls you can afford. I prefer black myself. Go with the color the local feeder calf buyers want.

> Oklahoma

> Oklahoma

Debbie,

I am a small breeder of seedstock in western Arkansas,not to far from Sallisaw. Please permit me to put in a plug for my favorite breed:Murray Grey.If you are not familiar with the breed they are the result of a distant cross between Black Angus and Milking shorthorn.They do very well in this part of the country.I have one cow that delivered a nice bull calf on march 21,2002 and has just delivered another fine bull calf on february 1, 2003.The calves weigh around 70 lbs and grow off well.The young man born last march now is pushing 1000 lbs,on just mama's milk and grass.The Murray Grey's can vary in color,from silver grey to dun, to black.All have a black skin pigment.I have a brown Murray Grey herd bull, and the Dam is white with black skin pigment;the new bull calf is a wonderful smoky grey.

[email protected]

you have explored diverse Brahman influence breeds, if you where happy with them why not continue with what you already had experience and if you are into the Angus stuff just cross them with Angus (Black or Red)

> Oklahoma

[email protected]

Hey! Just read all the messages and as expected nearly everyone is pushing Angus and related. No problem with them! Excellent cattle with good sale barn prices. While we're looking at options, consider:

* Low birthweight calves 50-65# * Very efficient browsers--eat most anything. * 99.7% unassisted calving. * Calve every year (with FEW exceptions) * Calve into late teens and early 20's. * Lean, low fat/cholesterol beef. * Very hardy--all climates. * FEW health problems--lots of genetic immunity. * EXCELLENT milkers and mothers. * Excellent predator control. * Very gentle, intelligent, easily worked. * All colors and combination of colors. * Virtually immune to pinkeye. * Yes, you're docked at sale barn! * Excellent market for hides, skull and horns--often $500 to $1500. * Many marketing options, not just slaughter outlet.

The animal?

A Texas Longhorn, of course!

P.S. On purchasing a bovine--it costs just as much to feed a 1000 lb excellent animal as it does a poor one...chase quality in a bull (or semen) and the dam (of course you already knew that...lol)

[email protected]

I am partial to Angus, but not because that is the only breed I have experienced. I would rather see a person do a good job with another breed than just have Angus for the sake of Angus. Of all the breeds I have had experience with, Angus is by far the most versatile and complete. The current popularity of the breed doesn't hurt either.

I have nothing against crossbreeding, and buying cheaper cows and breeding them to a GOOD Angus bull has it's merits. If money isn't a huge issue, spend the little more and buy Angus females. If you are on a very tight budget, buy cheaper cows and spend an extra $500 on your bull.

I have customers in the States who have good Angus cross females for sale. Or there are many sales to attend if you prefer.

The 3 best breeds in my opinion to cross with Angus are, in no particular order, Hereford, Gelbvieh, and Charolais. The type of Angus bloodlines would determine which breed would be best suited.

If you would like any more opinions, just ask.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> There are a lot of breeds that do well in this location and they all have there good pionts,but far the money beefalo goes a mile furter.Check out the beefalo web pages on the net.Or go to truetotexas.com and click on beefalo.

[email protected]

Latest posts