Which breed bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

T-Bro

Reaction score
Next couple of years, I will be retaining heifers.
Which bull would be best? Santa Gertrudis, Brangus, or Beefmaster. I want some ear in my cows, so it will be one of these three. (I am leaning towards the Gert).
I have researched and found plenty of info on the attributes and good qualities of each breed.
What I can't find is problems in the breeds, "bad stuff" that I should know before I make my final decision.
Such as, Brangus can be overprotective and wild.
Polled or horned doesn't bother me either way. I don't mind working with horned cattle. This bull will be bred to Texas Longhorns, then the retained heifers to a terminal continental breed.

Everyone wants to tell you what is great about their breed. Someone tell me what is bad about these three.
I know that there is variation within breeds, I am looking for general, overall cons.
Thanks,

I can't tell you individual cons of each breed. However, the best advice I can give is to look more at the individual bull than the breed. Its been said many times on these boards "there are more variances within breeds, than between them". You can find really good, and really bad bulls of all three breeds. You can find maternal and terminal bulls of all three breeds, as well.

Ryan

I don't have any experience with Brangus other than one purchased Longhorn cow which was bred to a Brangus bull and raised a really nice crossbred black heifer which we had no trouble selling to a farmer to keep as a brood cow. No experience with Santa Gertrudis, have heard that they can be a little wild but not sure about that. I'm sure there are exceptions in all breeds. Have alot of experience with crossing Beefmaster on Longhorn and like that cross alot. We've had them come in all colors from these crosses. Some solids, some spots, speckles and line backs. Really like the confirmation and growthiness in this cross. Good freezer beef and the heifers make some good mama cows. I'm sure it probably depends on the quality of bull you will be using but why would you want to use an inferior one anyway? Just my two cents worth.

T-Bro-

In regard to your request for information regarding Sires to use for Replacement Heifers, try this link:

Go to "Dogpile.com"
Type in Subject box: Recommended beef cow EPD's for replacement heifers
Click on "Go Fetch"
Scroll down ( 15 -16 subjects) to "CattleToday-Several Traits Should Be Considered in Sire Selection"

This has good information to print and keep!

DOC HARRIS

im gonna go out on a limb here.if you want black hided cattle id go with a black beefmaster bull.that will put black hides on your calves an give them ear.all of cows an bulls are real gentle.they all walk up to me in the pasture.an i can walk around them without fear.

I'd go gert of course. We used to have a few Beefmasters and Brangus cattle. Both of those breeds had a few good attributes but ultimately we went with the gerts. For a replacement female, I would definitely go witht he gerts and ignore the black argument since selling in the sale barn doesn't seem to be your primary goal. If it will be your goal in the future to sell calves in the sale barn, you have a baseline for going a solid color and then can put them with the black breed of your choice to get your solid black calves. If you go Beefmaster then you won't accomplish anything in getting consistency in your color. Ultimately it is your choice. I will also mention the Beefmaster has more Brahman influence that the other two breeds which may be a negative, depending on your take on the breed.

T bro u aint far down the road from me... So if you gonna be selling ur calves at the local barns make sure what ever u use is homo black. I have been taking a big hit on my red limi calves, but doing just fine on the black ones, same cows just different bulls.... Longhorns are noted for spotting, and that will get u killed at the sale barn, I have seen the cross of Longhorn and Gelpvieh make a heck of a cow

Select the breed for what will sell best in you area, then go to a breeder that breeds for the traits you want. Select a bull from within that group that will come even closer to your ideal.

we have one cow that is 1/2 longhorn and 1/2 limo and or bull is a beefmaster, calves are great growers but do come in assorted colors at times, only draw back is that it takes longer to fill them out than the angus beefmaster crosses we have

T-Bro":qbdqinyf said:
Next couple of years, I will be retaining heifers.
Which bull would be best? Santa Gertrudis, Brangus, or Beefmaster. I want some ear in my cows, so it will be one of these three. (I am leaning towards the Gert).
I have researched and found plenty of info on the attributes and good qualities of each breed.
What I can't find is problems in the breeds, "bad stuff" that I should know before I make my final decision.
Such as, Brangus can be overprotective and wild.
Polled or horned doesn't bother me either way. I don't mind working with horned cattle. This bull will be bred to Texas Longhorns, then the retained heifers to a terminal continental breed.

Everyone wants to tell you what is great about their breed. Someone tell me what is bad about these three.
I know that there is variation within breeds, I am looking for general, overall cons.
Thanks,
my experiance with all three, brangus and gert temps or close too the same, as far as the babies go. beefmaster being the least. to somtimes dawg gentle.. with the cross your shooting far id get a color consistancy with the brangus but brangus is my personal preference. beefmaster would add more flesh too the cross

Sounds like you just need to decide what breed you like best- Angus, shorthorn, or shorthorn/hereford cross. They are all crossed with brahman.

Latest posts