Which Breed are These Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Longhorn steer View attachment 19566
You have NEVER seen one of these at a roping competition

Corriente steers

View attachment 19565

Isn't it really more a question of age on a longhorn? I mean... they aren't born with those 8 foot spreads or we would not be buying calving ease bulls.
How old does a longhorn have to be before it gets horns wider than a Corriente? How fast do the horns grow?
I'm betting that the horns on a longhorn aren't substantially different in width compared to Corriente until they are over 18 months old and maybe more.
Or am I wrong?

Alot of the African breeds carry much more horn. The dead give away is the size of the bases like in the picture you posted. That is not true to the breed. Google African cattle and look at the size of the bases on those cattle.

Notice the head shape and every thing different on your puc vs in the video.
Yes, but they do not have the spread like a LH, certainly no more spread. People have crossed Watusi with longhorns and corrs around here. Never seen this cross produce a wider spread than a LH has, It usually results in less spread, more height, and a lot more circumference, like you said. The cattle in the video are all cows. The pic I think your referring too, is a steer. Like the narrator said in your video, steers grow bigger horns and bigger bodies than bulls and cows. That steer in the pic does not have anywhere near as thick a horn base as the watusi x LHs I have seen. It is pure LH.

Isn't it really more a question of age on a longhorn? I mean... they aren't born with those 8 foot spreads or we would not be buying calving ease bulls.
How old does a longhorn have to be before it gets horns wider than a Corriente? How fast do the horns grow?
I'm betting that the horns on a longhorn aren't substantially different in width compared to Corriente until they are over 18 months old and maybe more.
Or am I wrong?
Usually by the time a LH has grown horns suitable to rope, he is way too big and heavy.

Or am I wrong?
You are right.

I've seen some steers around here that I suspect were longhorn crossed with Ankole.

Picture

Seems like a lot of width to me.

The reality is that when longhorns got to the railheads they had to be loaded in lanes just like today. If they were rocking giant wingspans back then, the lanes would have been much wider than we know they were. I know, I know, they can turn their heads to go through, but that's on an average longhorn not bred for heavy horns that are comfortable with people even today. A bunch of half-wild rangy cattle with eight foot hornspans would have not gone through those lanes like that.

Attachments

• Image-1452046278.jpeg
    Image-1452046278.jpeg
    982 KB · Views: 5
this was and alternative when we couldnt find any. Had a barrel full .View attachment 19579
Yep, when the calf roping calves got too big, you'd put these on them and get another season out of them. Putting these on a polled beef steer was about as easy as putting on horn wraps . As a heeler, if you could heel one of these short-legged beef steers, you had it made when you got to a roping or rodeo with Corrientes.

Yes, but they do not have the spread like a LH, certainly no more spread. People have crossed Watusi with longhorns and corrs around here. Never seen this cross produce a wider spread than a LH has, It usually results in less spread, more height, and a lot more circumference, like you said. The cattle in the video are all cows. The pic I think your referring too, is a steer. Like the narrator said in your video, steers grow bigger horns and bigger bodies than bulls and cows. That steer in the pic does not have anywhere near as thick a horn base as the watusi x LHs I have seen. It is pure LH.
Nope.

You need to rewatch that video. There is a bull behind the guy almost every time he talks and I saw bulls and big steers in almost every shot the first 2 minutes or more before I called bs and stopped.

Longhorn steer View attachment 19566
You have NEVER seen one of these at a roping competition

Corriente steers

View attachment 19565
Hey! I know that top steer! He actually belongs to my family, in fact, I even took that photo:sneaky: He's in his upper teens now, but he is a real gentle giant. When we got him in 2015 he was 84 inches tip to tip, but he's never been measured since.

Hey! I know that top steer! He actually belongs to my family, in fact, I even took that photo:sneaky: He's in his upper teens now, but he is a real gentle giant. When we got him in 2015 he was 84 inches tip to tip, but he's never been measured since.
Coll. So he was 9 years old or so when he measured 84? Where was he located in this pic..Oregon or somewhere else?

About all folks rope up here is LH. Only rope them for a season and start a new batch for next year. We used to buy a few used steers to practice on, but they do tend to get big and some get sour.

Coll. So he was 9 years old or so when he measured 84? Where was he located in this pic..Oregon or somewhere else?
Yep.

Yeah that's in Oregon. We rented pasture from an old timer that raised registered longhorns back in the day. He only had 5 or 6 steers left when we started renting the pasture. He would butcher one every couple years. Then he got real sick and sold his place and we ended up with the last two steers he had left.

Latest posts