Which Breed are These Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yessir! And I know you don't think much of cattle dogs (long time lurker), but they were a necessity for working them in that thick stuff.
I agree with that. And if I had to catch cattle in the swamps and thickets like thy had in Fla,. I'd for sure have some black mouth curs or Catahoula Leopards with me. WHile there is no terrain like that around here that people raise cattle in, we do use those 2 kind of dogs for hog hunting a lot.

Being in this area..you don't see real cracker cattle ..but you will see plenty of longhorn thrown out in the pastures from the roping arenas..course if infact they were cracker, they would be taken for longhorn, from the average guy..don't know if she was a roper cause they got to those horns fairy early..she likely has roping stock in her pedigree..
I am sorry, but in 45 years of rodeoing and team roping, i have yet to see any LOnghorns used. I have a 7' wide stock combo with one swinging door on it. 7' wide opening. I have a frined that has the trail ride/hackline cons cessions at a resort around here. Occasionally a guest will want to pay for us to do a cattle drivee. Bert has a herd of Longhorns about 10 miles away, and I will help him haul them over for the cattle drive. They have to turn their heads side to side to get in the trailer. You are right in assuming the average person seeing a FlaCRacker or Scrub, or a Pineywoods cow, would not know what it is, but they would more likely think it was Corriente instead of LH, as they are closer in size and horn shape. Then again, I see a ly of people on here that don;lt know the diference in LH and Corr, and call Corrientes Longhorns.

I am sorry, but in 45 years of rodeoing and team roping, i have yet to see any LOnghorns used. I have a 7' wide stock combo with one swinging door on it. 7' wide opening. I have a frined that has the trail ride/hackline cons cessions at a resort around here. Occasionally a guest will want to pay for us to do a cattle drivee. Bert has a herd of Longhorns about 10 miles away, and I will help him haul them over for the cattle drive. They have to turn their heads side to side to get in the trailer. You are right in assuming the average person seeing a FlaCRacker or Scrub, or a Pineywoods cow, would not know what it is, but they would more likely think it was Corriente instead of LH, as they are closer in size and horn shape. Then again, I see a ly of people on here that don;lt know the diference in LH and Corr, and call Corrientes Longhorns.
That's wicked cool.

I can show you some of them if you need too.. they were all that were around here …i Use to rope to ,I know the difference...and the ones that had Corrientes were the rodeo companies and contractors .all the other locals guy were longhorns.…what was available cheap..i welcome anyone to show me a cracker or pinewoods herd in my part of north Alabama ,,

I can show you some of them if you need too.. they were all that were around here …i Use to rope to ,I know the difference...and the ones that had Corrientes were the rodeo companies and contractors .all the other locals guy were longhorns.…what was available cheap..i welcome anyone to show me a cracker or pinewoods herd in my part of north Alabama ,,
Not sure what part of Alabama these are in, but there are registered herds in Uniontown, Grand Bay, Gilbertston, Pennington, Henagar, Perdido, and Sylacauga. I would love to see purebred Longhorns being roped. I want to see a 10- diameter header loop, and the man that could swing and throw it. And I want to see the roping chute that they put steers with 8 to 10 ft horn spreads in. Even back before bulls and cows could be brought in, I never saw Corrientes costs more than Longhorns. Except maybe occassionally when some hobby farmer got tired of them, and took them to a regular cow sale, like someone posted on here recently. That being said, back in the early 80's we bought a LH cull bull. He was a cull because his horns didn;t spread like breeders wanted. His spread maybe 30 inches, them grew up and forward. Looked like a Mexican bull-fighting bull. Total crap as a breeding LH, but perfect horns for roping. We bought up scrawny horned cows, like Jeresys and other dairy cows, horned Herfords, etc, to try to breed some roping stock. Corriente steers were $525-$575 back then, and you couldn;t import bulls and heifers back then, so we decided to try to raise our own. Most of the calves got too big before their horns were the right size and shape. But, we left them with their mommas for 6-7 months, instead of weaning them in 3-4 weeks and stunting them down, like lots of contractors do.

My buddy has a pretty decent herd of Corrientes and Longhorns. They rope the crosses.

Henagar, up by Scottsboro. Heritage Farm. Probably several other owners around there that aren't on a registry.

Longhorn steer View attachment 19566
You have NEVER seen one of these at a roping competition

Corriente steers

View attachment 19565
To be fair, if you look at older paintings, drawings, and pictures of longhorns it would seem as though their horns often curved up fairly soonish as well, probably because half of Texas and Mexico are thicker than all get out. The massive show horns have been getting bigger due to breeding. Maybe it's possible they were buying ones breeders didn't want and roping them until they started getting too big and tossed 'em?

Longhorn steer View attachment 19566
You have NEVER seen one of these at a roping competition

Corriente steers

View attachment 19565
To be fair, if you look at older paintings, drawings, and pictures of longhorns it would seem as though their horns often curved up fairly soonish as well, probably because half of Texas and Mexico are thicker than all get out. The massive show horns have been getting bigger due to breeding. Maybe it's possible they were buying ones breeders didn't want and roping them until they started getting too big and tossed 'em?

If you DNA those high dollar Longhorns being sold for horn you will find they have been outcrossed.

Two of the families that maintain the original Longhorns and were part of saving the breed are here locally. They do not have near the horn most people are use to seeing. It is much more functional. They also do not have near the crazy color patterns either.

A lot of the experts on here probably have never seen an original in their life. 😄

In some yes, but a lot more paintings of the era look like this. 1659036378491.png

If you DNA those high dollar Longhorns being sold for horn you will find they have been outcrossed.

Two of the families that maintain the original Longhorns and were part of saving the breed are here locally. They do not have near the horn most people are use to seeing. It is much more functional. They also do not have near the crazy color patterns either.

A lot of the experts on here probably have never seen an original in their life. 😄
What would they be outcrossed with? What breed of cattle has a wider horn spread than longhorns?

What would they be outcrossed with? What breed of cattle has a wider horn spread than longhorns?
Alot of the African breeds carry much more horn. The dead give away is the size of the bases like in the picture you posted. That is not true to the breed. Google African cattle and look at the size of the bases on those cattle.

Notice the head shape and every thing different on your puc vs in the video.

Latest posts