Which Breed are These Cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

NewMoo

Reaction score
I purchased this cow and cow/calf pair at auction last week. I have an idea of their breed, but I would like others' opinions. Which breed(s) do you think they are?
233E6738-953F-4D8A-B3BF-986126F69031.jpegD9A6FBB0-E024-4DB8-978D-71FE25F6991A.jpeg

Interesting. Do you know the breeding or have the means to find out same? Having an idea, while entertaining, hardly qualifies
as fact. As much as I hate taking time away from haranguing the Liberals who troll these pages I will venture a guess and hopefully
kill two stones with one bird.
My guess is: Mother is a first generation Red Angus / Corriente cross i.e. 1/2 blood The calf is 3/4 Red Angus & 1/4 Corriente.
Photos can be deceiving so I am inclined to think the mother as too small for a longhorn.
The photo comment should serve as a warning to anyone considering a mail order bride.
In any case, even with no prize offered, I hope they turn you a nice profit.

She looks like a thin Park to me.
Tho I suppose the angus could've knocked the horns off a longhorn cow and made her look like that.

The calf throws me off tho. I see skunk markings on char cross sometimes too

@NewMoo ... could you put a general area in your avatar? It might help to make an educated guess as to the breed(s) behind the cows.
From a dairy perspective I would say a lineback dairy cross also.. There is one dairy I test that has some lineback cattle but they have much more body than yours show, even for dairy cattle.
There are White park and crosses that have similar coloring.
I had a charolais/holstein cross that I raised from a calf, and bred angus. 50% of her calves had the "skunk stripe" as we call it. Pinzgauer cattle have that stripe. So knowing your general area might make a guess more accurate.

Neither show me the type head of a longhorn, but the colors could come from a longhorn or other criolo cross.

I know this one doesn't show any Brahman influence, but I had a Holtstein x Red Brahman years ago that was marked up just like that.

@NewMoo ... could you put a general area in your avatar? It might help to make an educated guess as to the breed(s) behind the cows.
From a dairy perspective I would say a lineback dairy cross also.. There is one dairy I test that has some lineback cattle but they have much more body than yours show, even for dairy cattle.
There are White park and crosses that have similar coloring.
I had a charolais/holstein cross that I raised from a calf, and bred angus. 50% of her calves had the "skunk stripe" as we call it. Pinzgauer cattle have that stripe. So knowing your general area might make a guess more accurate.

Neither show me the type head of a longhorn, but the colors could come from a longhorn or other criolo cross.
I'm in northern Alabama. They were purchased locally at sale.

Interesting. Do you know the breeding or have the means to find out same? Having an idea, while entertaining, hardly qualifies
as fact. As much as I hate taking time away from haranguing the Liberals who troll these pages I will venture a guess and hopefully
kill two stones with one bird.
My guess is: Mother is a first generation Red Angus / Corriente cross i.e. 1/2 blood The calf is 3/4 Red Angus & 1/4 Corriente.
Photos can be deceiving so I am inclined to think the mother as too small for a longhorn.
The photo comment should serve as a warning to anyone considering a mail order bride.
In any case, even with no prize offered, I hope they turn you a nice profit.
I've reached out to the previous owner. Hoping he calls me back to answer my questions.

Latest posts