Which area would you want to farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

Calhoun103

Reaction score
I have a somewhat hypothetical question I'd like your thoughts on. If you had the option to own a small farm (say 40 - 60 acres), which of these locations would you choose:

A: Row crop land in Northeast Louisiana

B: Upland timberland in Norh Louisiana or East Texas

C: Post oak savanah East of Dallas / I-35 corridor.

The land use would be livestock / hay; timber if appropriate; hunting, and retirement residence. I would love for it to be something my son could grow into a larger operation.

I see issues with each area. Do those of you familiar with any of these areas have any thoughts?

I really know nothing of either state, but have read 1/3 of households in Texas do not speak English at home.
Which would incline me to choose A. Northeast Louisiana, but I am not familiar with the local economy of 4 choices.

1/3 of the population of La doesn't speak English at home either.

More immigrants thinking about moving here??

Build the wall!

greybeard":1uid390r said:

Build the wall!

Greybeard the government of Texas has been for several years offering companies tax advantages to move to Texas. The idea is the more people the more money except not anything spent on infrastructure to support the bigger population is a problem.

hurleyjd":r2yo7pi6 said:
greybeard":r2yo7pi6 said:

Build the wall!

Greybeard the government of Texas has been for several years offering companies tax advantages to move to Texas. The idea is the more people the more money except not anything spent on infrastructure to support the bigger population is a problem.

There are a lot of roads going in and being upgraded right now around Texas. Texas has two problems with expanding its roads. Private land owners and too many hands dipping in to the cookie jar for roads and infrastructure.

Carpenter2n":905y2tpv said:
guess you dont ever drive on 35
or I-45 or I-10. Both are continuously 'under construction/expansion'.
US 59 (eventually to become I-69) is just about as bad.

Calhoun103":14409725 said:
I have a somewhat hypothetical question I'd like your thoughts on. If you had the option to own a small farm (say 40 - 60 acres), which of these locations would you choose:

A: Row crop land in Northeast Louisiana

B: Upland timberland in Norh Louisiana or East Texas

C: Post oak savanah East of Dallas / I-35 corridor.

The land use would be livestock / hay; timber if appropriate; hunting, and retirement residence. I would love for it to be something my son could grow into a larger operation.

I see issues with each area. Do those of you familiar with any of these areas have any thoughts?

If you are hoping to ever expand and grow as you say I would pick an area that offers room for expansion. This might not seem like a big deal now but citys are growing so fast if you don't live 50-60 miles from a bigger city you may be swallowed up in 10 yrs. this could be good or bad for you. I live in an area that I don't think will ever see much growth but because citys are growing our land prices are going through the roof fast which limits my ability to grow. Option C is what I would pick without looking at anything else.

Latest posts