Where's the market heading short term

Help Support CattleToday:

that migh be ok if that feedlot was completely debt free.but if not the feedlot would be broke an bank owned in less than a year.an the packing plants would be closing as well.so thats the facts as i see emm.

Caustic Burno":1uksqqy5 said:
skyline":1uksqqy5 said:
In our area, 500 lb steers are down about $25 per cwt from the same week last year, averaging 3 sale barns in the East Texas area. My crystal ball says we don't catch back up for a long time, but that's JMO.

Down here as well, most likely will go lower when I have a trailer load to haul to Crockett.

The other probelm with this picture, the cost keeps going up on the input side and the fuel to get them there, who knows where that will be by the end of the year.

I am selling all the steers for freezer beef, I have had good luck selling all of them from this years crop. I am trying to sell replacement bred heifers off the farm also.

We have to try whatever it takes to survive.

Time is going to get tougher before it turns around.

JMO

C HOLLAND":3iujqztz said:
I am selling all the steers for freezer beef, I have had good luck selling all of them from this years crop. I am trying to sell replacement bred heifers off the farm also.

We have to try whatever it takes to survive.

Time is going to get tougher before it turns around.

JMO

Same here. Much more profitable selling for freezer beef. And when you think about it, the more we cultivate our freezer beef market, the less we have to sell at the stockyard. The more customers that we have for our freezer beef, the fewer customers the feedlots/packers have. My few cows that I sell won't have any effect on their operations, but you add my few, your few, a few here, a few there, and before long, we're talking some numbers. Next thing you know, a few cows add up to thousands.....

$10.00 lb steak in the grocery store vs. 65 cent on the hoof? Seems that there is a little markup in there somewhere that's not going to the farmer/rancher. The stockyards/packers have a vested interest in making sure that we go thru their system in order to bring the products to market. That being said, if they want me to go thru their system, then they need to pay me a fair price. Otherwise, I won't play with them.

:D I'm just glad today that I'm not selling 13 cent per lb. hogs..... :D

Brandonm22":j6h9k4ku said:
Since corn and soybeans are through the roof there isn't likely to be a per lb premium for the lighter calves, it MIGHT pay to put more weight on the calves this year. If they are 4 wt now I would hold to July when they are all six weight. Price seasonally starts to nose dive after August, but usually is ~flat from April to then; but it is YOUR money we are gambling with.

1) The least risky time to sell is when you find a better buy to replace them with. Otherwise you are gambling.
2) It seems like the best buy changes every couple months. Usually folks go to lighter class of animals - - and then if the market tanks you will lose the least.
3) Some folks are talking about selling both cattle and feed. The risk there is that you may not be able to buy back if cattle prices jump up. That is not a big worry for most of us :eek:
4) Look into (LRP) Livestock Risk Protection.

Latest posts