Where's the dwarf gene come from?

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCK-N-W

Reaction score
Ya See.
We had a registered Red Angus bull breed to a registered Black Angus cow they had a black hieffer this hieffer grows up & gets breed to a 3/4 mix Angus bull. The calf is a bull calf gets cut at 3 months old and 9 months later ain't no bigger then a dog. a miniture but doesn't look like a doogy . just don't grow in hieght.girth or length? Otherwise black healthy and kinda acted like a dog friendly as could be, I swear he would just about chase a stick. Sold it when it was 14 months old he only weighed 260 lbs with some 6 month old calves he got top price of the one's I took? Can this be exsplained with Sire's & Dam"s papers? This ain't a joke even though it still makes me shake my head. I still have the cow that had the shorty she has been rebred to A different Reg black Angus bull, Will it also be a dwarf? :cboy:

ROCK-N-W":pvzuh6zh said:
Ya See.
We had a registered Red Angus bull breed to a registered Black Angus cow they had a black hieffer this hieffer grows up & gets breed to a 3/4 mix Angus bull. The calf is a bull calf gets cut at 3 months old and 9 months later ain't no bigger then a dog. a miniture but doesn't look like a doogy . just don't grow in hieght.girth or length? Otherwise black healthy and kinda acted like a dog friendly as could be, I swear he would just about chase a stick. Sold it when it was 14 months old he only weighed 260 lbs with some 6 month old calves he got top price of the one's I took? Can this be exsplained with Sire's & Dam"s papers? This ain't a joke even though it still makes me shake my head. I still have the cow that had the shorty she has been rebred to A different Reg black Angus bull, Will it also be a dwarf? :cboy:
With a 1/4 mix in the Angus Bull there is no way you can determine where or whether the dwarf gene was present. You can check out the Registered Angus' pedigree to determine if there is a dwarf gene back in the ancestors breeding - but with another unknown in the mix - lots of luck!

DOC HARRIS

We had a registered Red Angus bull breed to a registered Black Angus cow they had a black hieffer this hieffer grows up & gets breed to a 3/4 mix Angus bull.

Can you explain why the 3/4 mix angus bull? It doesn't make sense to me.

KNERSIE":1iz58tm9 said:
We had a registered Red Angus bull breed to a registered Black Angus cow they had a black hieffer this hieffer grows up & gets breed to a 3/4 mix Angus bull.

Can you explain why the 3/4 mix angus bull? It doesn't make sense to me.

Sounds like someone else's bull snuck in the pasture through a weak fence.

The other bull came from a red Angus sire and 3/4 red Angus 1/4 char cow.

Just curious as to why the offspring would produce this result.
Both the orginal cow and bull have never thrown a bad calf only the hieffer from them with this mix bull, which also has never thrown a bad calf.
I quess I will wait to see what her next calf comes out like & if it's a bug eye dwarf they both hit the road.

I just don't get it either cause the orginal cow and bull have always thrown good calfs, it's just the result from one of her hieffers first calves.

ROCK-N-W":erbxh8s9 said:
I quess there's just no explanation for some things.
It's gotta be a throw back from somewhere.
you got it.. a throw back.. what's really scary is he brought more than the others.. you can mate that heifer to a non carrier. id bet that gene was in the angus though if it is a true dwarf. and not a product of mismanagement

Dwarfism is a classic mendellian trait and it is due to a recessive gene. If you have an actual genetic dwarf, then you know conclusively that BOTH the cow and the bull carry that dwarfism gene. Only one out of four calves from that mating ON AVERAGE will actually be born a dwarf. (Given some of my luck the next four in a row would be). The bad news is that half of the calves from that mating WILL be dwarf gene carriers. Half of that bull's daughters should carry the dwarf gene and half of that cow's daughters should carry the dwarf gene. Since right now (if that dink WAS a true dwarf) you are multiplying the dwarf gene throughout your herd, I would immediately sell that bull, stop raising my own bulls, and go buy a bull from an outside herd......preferably from one that does not have a known dwarfism carrier anywhere in the last 5 generations) and that probably needs to be your policy with THAT cow family and heifers sired by that bull from NOW ON.

ALACOWMAN":oreo4hhk said:
what's really scary is he brought more than the others..

In defense of the buyer, who would think they were looking at a dwarf??? He thought he was buying a 4 month old at 265 pounds that needed some management. In 30 to 90 days, he will figure it out run it back through the barn and some other poor sucker will pay ~$1.40 a pound for it. That calf could sell 4 or 5 times in the next year before it finally gets mature enough that everybody recognizes it for what it is and the last owner get $.60 / a pound for it for burger.

Brandonm2":3ntuulrm said:
ALACOWMAN":3ntuulrm said:

In defense of the buyer, who would think they were looking at a dwarf??? He thought he was buying a 4 month old at 265 pounds that needed some management. In 30 to 90 days, he will figure it out run it back through the barn and some other poor sucker will pay ~$1.40 a pound for it. That calf could sell 4 or 5 times in the next year before it finally gets mature enough that everybody recognizes it for what it is and the last owner get $.60 / a pound for it for burger.
come on brandon i good buyer should able to tell the difference in a 4 mo versus a 9 month old no matter the weight, and if it a true dwarf he will have the tell- tell signs bulging fore head pot gut.but my guess is he had a pot gut anyway

The reason he got my top price is he was black & went through the sale with several other 6 month old hiefs & steers with a avg weight of 442 lbs he was smaller there for got a higher price per lb no one at the sell new that he was 2.5 times the age of the others.
I think the miget gene's coming from the cow since that's the only hief she has had that I have kept, So anything she has I will sell. dwarf or no dwarf. As far as the bull goes sold him last year I have several of his calfs that have turned out to be nice cows that are throwing perfectly healthy none midgets.
Also if the next calf she has this year is like the first they both go to the barn.
Just have never had one like this trying to get a little better understanding why

ALACOWMAN":29orevw5 said:
Brandonm2":29orevw5 said:
ALACOWMAN":29orevw5 said:

come on brandon i good buyer should able to tell the difference in a 4 mo versus a 9 month old no matter the weight, and if it a true dwarf he will have the tell- tell signs bulging fore head pot gut

Nonsense, he fooled the barn that day so I bet he fools them every day. The last time we had a dwarf here he weighed about 40 at birth, about 240 at weaning (Mom and dad (after one season--I bet THAT was why his previous owner dumped him too) were both gone then), and 560 when we cut off his head and put him in the freezer. He always looked GOOD. He just looked younger than he was. I guarantee you if we had sold him at 440 he would have been one of the highest grossing 440 lb calves that day.

All smaller calves bring a higher price at the market per lb than larger calves. You can get over 2.00 a lb on a 240 lb calf and the same calve when it weighs 475 might only bring you 1.25 a lb, see it at the market all day long.
Really don't under stand why though seems the feed lots will have to put that much more into um.
He did look good, he was just very small in stature, he proberly would have been good and tender to beef out, but It might have taken 3 years to get him up to 600 lbs to butcher.
That's to much work and waste of resources for a commercial cow operation, when I could butcher one at 18 months weighing 800 lbs.

Your right Alacowman, he did have a pot gut and I wormed the heck out of him and he still had that pot gut when I sold him.
Had big Bug eyes too, big as sliver dollers

You're blaiming one parent ,when BOTH were at fault.
Dwarfism has to be in both parents to show up..
Like Siamese coloring in a cat..

Maybe it's just one of life's little mysteries, like the six legged calve they we're showing on the news the other day.
Whatcha thanksee.

dwarfism really aint too much a mystery. deformed calfs can happen too clean cattle. from poison plants . mineral deficincey several other things beside genetic's

Could it have been just from the drought conditions that we have been suffering from?
I put out lots of minerals, liquid feed molasses, hay, etc worm twice a year I take pretty good care of all my animals there is no neglect from this ole man. But the drought & floodings from previous hurricanes has taken it's toll on my cows. We either need a canoe to cross the pasture or lately it's like the Nevada
badlands. The grounds so try it's cracking and that's not easy to do in sand. I'm able to get into lowland areas that I have not been in in twenty years. This cow was bred and calved in both conditions

ROCK-N-W":2fxnil6o said:
  • Could it have been just from the drought conditions that we have been suffering from?
I put out lots of minerals, liquid feed molasses, hay, etc worm twice a year I take pretty good care of all my animals there is no neglect from this ole man. But the drought & floodings from previous hurricanes has taken it's toll on my cows. We either need a canoe to cross the pasture or lately it's like the Nevada
badlands. The grounds so try it's cracking and that's not easy to do in sand. I'm able to get into lowland areas that I have not been in in twenty years. This cow was bred and calved in both conditions
no its just the cattle business. sht like this will happen. a learning situation that we all run into

You can only play the hand your dealt.
I was A bit concerned about all the chemicals coming from the pepper & tomatoe farm next to us after the storms, lots of pesticides floating around for weeks the flooding killing the grass. Bahia don't grow under water to well don't ch know.

Latest posts