where's the carcass

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
Noticed some buzzards were in a field and after checking it out, found a trail of blood, intestines, 1 bone, and some white hair on the ground.

The neighbors said they seen a bobcat stalking a deer a few days ago. I'm thinking a bobcat killed a deer, but there aint no carcass left. I looked in about a 500' radius and did not find any parts of a carcass or signs of a carcass being dragged.

trail of blood

intestine

predator scatt

Can you tell from these images if this looks like the remains of a deer, and what killed it?

Thanks

No mountain lions in the area that I am aware of. Lot of coyotes.

only bone left

track a couple of hundred yards away

From the Minnesota DNR site:
First, determine if the track is from a Canine (dog) or Feline (cat)
Canine tracks have definite claw marks, one lobe on the front of the heel pad, and 2 lobes on the rear of the heel pad. In contrast, Feline tracks rarely show claw marks, the front of the heel pad has 2 lobes, and the rear of the heel pad has 3 lobes. Canine tracks are typically rectangular in shape (longer than they are wide), while Feline tracks have more of a square or circular shape (length and width are even or track is wider than it is tall).

Your track shows claws which would make a person think canine. right?

Chocolate Cow":114jo3g0 said:
From the Minnesota DNR site:
First, determine if the track is from a Canine (dog) or Feline (cat)
Canine tracks have definite claw marks, one lobe on the front of the heel pad, and 2 lobes on the rear of the heel pad. In contrast, Feline tracks rarely show claw marks, the front of the heel pad has 2 lobes, and the rear of the heel pad has 3 lobes. Canine tracks are typically rectangular in shape (longer than they are wide), while Feline tracks have more of a square or circular shape (length and width are even or track is wider than it is tall).

Your track shows claws which would make a person think canine. right?

Right, I think the image of the track is canine, maybe coyote. That track was down by the stock tank away from where the intestines were found. There are other tracks closer that didn't appear to have claw marks. Thanks Chocolate Cow.

Maybe it wasn't a deer, but a rabbit, but I think there was to much blood to be a rabbit and the intestines looked bigger than what I think a rabbits gut would be. The only bone that I found yesterday is gone now. There are a lot of other small varmints around.

callmefence":2au0983o said:
Somebody made a bad shot.
Coyote's and buzzards cleaned it up.

Thanks Fence, that's probably what happened. They clean up good.

maybe neighbor shot the deer and took it but put the blame on a bobcat. Varmints ate what was left after field dressing and neighbor's eating the rest ????? Just and idea ?????

NolanCountyAG":2xku68h1 said:
Are you close to cowgirl8? She's over ran with mountain cougars!!

Not sure where Cowgirl8 is at. We are about 20 miles southwest of Fort Worth. I've looked for remains of the carcass and only found 3 small bones in the woods about 200 yards from the intestines.

BRYANT":11jg6k2f said:
maybe neighbor shot the deer and took it but put the blame on a bobcat. Varmints ate what was left after field dressing and neighbor's eating the rest ????? Just and idea ?????

I set the trailcam up down by the creek. There are plenty of varmints around.

ccr":2mdgbqoi said:
BRYANT":2mdgbqoi said:

I set the trailcam up down by the creek. There are plenty of varmints around.

none of them would eat everything, bones and all. mountain lions I am not all that familiar with. Sounds like some one shot it and field dressed it , may not have been neighbor but I bet its in a freezer someplace

callmefence":14dampe5 said:
Somebody made a bad shot.
Coyote's and buzzards cleaned it up.

This would be my guess as well. A few years ago I found a 6 pointer dead in the Hayfield in front of the house that had been shot with a bow. It was already stiff and cold so I was afraid to keep the meat. It was almost dark, so I decided to bury it the next morning.

About an hour after dark I heard a coyote howling in the front field. Apparently he was ringing the dinner bell because after only a few minutes it sounded like he had been joined by a dozen of his friends. When I checked on the deer the next morning all that was left was a little hair.

Latest posts