Where's Jo's salsa recipe?

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I've made your pickles and sweet onion relish and wanted to do your salsa recipe soon, but I can't find it.... Thanks for the other recipes, they are excellent!

Scott

I searched for it also on here after someone mentioned it but couldn't find it. We've got a boatload of tomatoes and peppers picked here and are going to be making salsa and sauce tomorrow. I would be honored to try the recipe.

I couldn't find it either but here is the latest version.

4 ½ lbs(4 qts). ripe tomatoes, scalded, peeled and chopped - Roma gives best yield.
3 mild green chilies chopped
1 large Spanish onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 red pepper chopped
3-6 fresh jalapeno peppers chopped
5 ½ oz. Can tomato paste
¾ cup white vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 Tbs. coarse salt - kosher - if using canning salt cut back 25%
2 tsp. Paprika
2 cloves garlic minced

Combine all ingredients in a non-aluminum pot bring to a boil simmer for 60 minutes spoon off the watery liquid on top and discard or better yet can for soup base. Then stir, repeat until desired thickness is reached. Test for hotness add more jalapenos if needed. Pack into hot sterilized jars, seal and process. Makes 5 pints

For mild use only 3 jalapeno and no other chilies

Thanks. We will try that or as close as we can. Have you ever made salsa without peeling the maters? I am a rookie salsa maker but a couple weeks ago me and my dad made some without peeling and ran the chunks through a food processor and I thought it turned out pretty dang good. I'm sure peeling is better, but was just wondering. I know what you mean about the aluminum pot. No good.

Never left the peels on. I just drop the tomatoes in boiling water for about two minutes then pull them and drop in the sink full of water and the peels come right off. I would think leaving the skins on would give you chewy bits in your salsa.

You're right Jo, I do notice the occasional bit of skin in the salsa we did without peeling. I don't mind it but I'm sure some people do. Without chopping the maters in the food processor I'm sure it would be much worse. I helped a friend last weekend and we did the boil then peel technique it just seemed like it took forever. I guess I'm guilty of wanting quantity over quality in my salsa. I will try both ways tomorrow. Thanks again.

Jogeephus":2pbtgmk2 said:
I couldn't find it either but here is the latest version.

4 ½ lbs(4 qts). ripe tomatoes, scalded, peeled and chopped - Roma gives best yield.
3 mild green chilies chopped
1 large Spanish onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 red pepper chopped
3-6 fresh jalapeno peppers chopped
5 ½ oz. Can tomato paste
¾ cup white vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 Tbs. coarse salt - kosher - if using canning salt cut back 25%
2 tsp. Paprika
2 cloves garlic minced

Combine all ingredients in a non-aluminum pot bring to a boil simmer for 60 minutes spoon off the watery liquid on top and discard or better yet can for soup base. Then stir, repeat until desired thickness is reached. Test for hotness add more jalapenos if needed. Pack into hot sterilized jars, seal and process. Makes 5 pints

For mild use only 3 jalapeno and no other chilies

Hey Jo,

Whipped up a batch this past weekend. I tweaked it just a bit (mainly based on the tomatoes I had. Regular canning tomatoes, not Roma) I doubled the amount of tomato paste and added some cumin. I just like the taste of cumin in salsa. I often use salsa as a base for chili and spaghetti sauce. Short of that, its a "keeper" salsa recipe for me! Thank you. :banana:

millstreaminn":18t0eimh said:
Hey Jo,

Whipped up a batch this past weekend. I tweaked it just a bit (mainly based on the tomatoes I had. Regular canning tomatoes, not Roma) I doubled the amount of tomato paste and added some cumin. I just like the taste of cumin in salsa. I often use salsa as a base for chili and spaghetti sauce. Short of that, its a "keeper" salsa recipe for me! Thank you. :banana:
I spent most of Sunday making pasta sauce and salsa too, and I also made a batch. I agree with you on the cumin, and also added a little. I went to the fanciest grocery store in town but still couldn't find a Spanish onion so I used a sweet yellow onion. It is delicious salsa! Thanks for the recipe Jo.

Glad you liked it. Cumin sounds like a good idea. Should give it that "authentic" taste. I think I'll try some cumin next time as well.

ohiosteve":qstfafik said:
millstreaminn":qstfafik said:
Hey Jo,

I spent most of Sunday making pasta sauce and salsa too, and I also made a batch. I agree with you on the cumin, and also added a little. I went to the fanciest grocery store in town but still couldn't find a Spanish onion so I used a sweet yellow onion. It is delicious salsa! Thanks for the recipe Jo.

That is pretty much all we can get here besides white and red onions .

I still have to give Jo's salsa a try , hopefully this winter . :D

HD, if you make some this winter let me offer a suggestion. It will be too cold to go outside and this will give you an excuse to stay indoors where its warm and you can multi-task.

When you skim off the extra liquid don't toss it but collect as much as you can - hopefully 2 quarts worth. With this you can make some of the best beans you've ever put in your mouth. If you end up with two quarts, take 5 cups of dried navy beans and add 15 cups of water to them in a pot. Add about a tablespoon of salt and bring the beans to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes then take them off the heat and let them rest an hour. After this, drain off the water and replace with fresh water - enough to cover an inch.

Next take the two quarts of juice you robbed from the salsa and put in a pot and add 6 tablespoons of mollasses, maple syrup or something sweet like that then add 3-4 tsp of powdered mustard and bring to a boil.

While you are heating this heat your beans to boiling again then add enough of them to pint jars to fill the jar 75% with beans, add a tiny bit (no more than the amount to make a cube 3/4 inch) of bacon , capricola or proscuito to the top of the beans then cover with the doctored liquid you robbed from the salsa and leave 1" head space. Cover and seal and put in a pressure canner for 75 minutes. This will make 9 pints.

Once you try this, beans just won't ever be the same and you can tweak it more to your taste in the future but it is beautiful just as is.

Jogeephus":h6cs7bft said:
HD, if you make some this winter let me offer a suggestion. It will be too cold to go outside and this will give you an excuse to stay indoors where its warm and you can multi-task.

When you skim off the extra liquid don't toss it but collect as much as you can - hopefully 2 quarts worth. With this you can make some of the best beans you've ever put in your mouth. If you end up with two quarts, take 5 cups of dried navy beans and add 15 cups of water to them in a pot. Add about a tablespoon of salt and bring the beans to a boil and let boil for 2 minutes then take them off the heat and let them rest an hour. After this, drain off the water and replace with fresh water - enough to cover an inch.

Next take the two quarts of juice you robbed from the salsa and put in a pot and add 6 tablespoons of mollasses, maple syrup or something sweet like that then add 3-4 tsp of powdered mustard and bring to a boil.

While you are heating this heat your beans to boiling again then add enough of them to pint jars to fill the jar 75% with beans, add a tiny bit (no more than the amount to make a cube 3/4 inch) of bacon , capricola or proscuito to the top of the beans then cover with the doctored liquid you robbed from the salsa and leave 1" head space. Cover and seal and put in a pressure canner for 75 minutes. This will make 9 pints.

Once you try this, beans just won't ever be the same and you can tweak it more to your taste in the future but it is beautiful just as is.

You're killing me Jo ... :help: I may or may not try this , as I need to successfully tackle the salsa recipe first not multi task . :???:
I now have an extra hand around the home for a while so if I can get her to help in the kitchen I may feel invincible one day this winter and try these both at the same time . :lol:
Those look fantastic btw , thank you for sharing the recipe ! :D I will try to get up the courage to give it a go . I guess I need to buy a pressure cooker . :tiphat: