Where you from and how did you get here

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals":1bdn26bp said:
Mine is a lot like Bigfoot's my ??grandfather was awarded ???acres for his service in the Revolutionary War. Except I'm in Caldwell County. Proudly today we still have a portion of those acres in the family. There were way too many girls in the generations after that and lots of it was lost that way.

Not sure I understand?
Women often couldn't/didn't inherit land, but if it passed to their husbands, (assuming it wasn't sold) it probably went to their children eventually, so even if the last name isn't the same, these people are still "your people." It wasn't lost (well, unless it was sold); it can just be a bit trickier to trace the matrilineal lines...
I try to keep in mind that (for most women with traditional names), if one's name is, say, Frieda Jones, the "jones" represents zero of any of her maternal ancestors, although they are half of them. Indeed, it doesn't even represent her mother's father's line, or indeed any line ever on her mother's side (barring hillbilly marriages lol). It represents only one line of hundreds (if we could trace back that far): your father's father's father's father's father's father's (etc., infinitely) name.
I came to realize this most clearly when I went back to WV a few years back to look over the old family land going back centuries (at Greenland Gap). I had thought (like you) that there were none of my "family" back there. But when I got deep into the genealogy, I realized that there were many people in the area who shared common ancestors generations back--they were on various branches other than the one single one I was thinking of...

Yes, Boondocks I understand what you are saying I should have worded it better. All the daughters did marry so the part of the farm they inherited or was given did change names to their husband's last name. What I should have clarified better was that they all then resold it later one generation or the other. Mom lives for genealogy and has it all down, myself it's just too much to keep my head wrapped around it. My grandfather had all sisters fortunately dad and my uncles were able to buy there part of the farm all back. Anyway Dad's people came from England and Mom's had a tie to Scotland. Mom thinks her's has a connection with William Wallace aka Braveheart. Anyway it's too much to soak into this brain. I tease her all the time that we're all kin to Adam and Eve through Noah some way or the other.

I wish I knew as much about my family as yall know about yours. My mom's side is Coonass . Great grand MA didn't speak English. Dad's side from Mississippi and texas . I have family from South Carolina , Florida also but most of them I know nothing about. My dads side had some that fought for the south . Mom's side several in the Korean war and ww2

FlyingLSimmentals":2qexegc2 said:
Mine is a lot like Bigfoot's my ??grandfather was awarded ???acres for his service in the Revolutionary War. Except I'm in Caldwell County. Proudly today we still have a portion of those acres in the family. There were way too many girls in the generations after that and lots of it was lost that way.

There was a little push in the state legislature a few years ago, to recognize farms that went back to the colonial land grants. It died out fairly quickly, because Ky was actually part of Virginia then.

Side note:
The story goes that the original 21 that my family was with came this direction because they herd the land was already clear. I'm guessing they were disappointed to find it covered in hardwood trees.

My father's parents came here from Finland in 1910 and 1920. They were Swedes from western Finland. They were both the youngest child in their respective family and had nothing for them back in the old country. I have a second cousin back there who is still on the family farm in Finland. Grandpa came here to work in the woods. Grandma had a nephew who lived here. They have traced ancestors back into the 1400s. My mother's grandparents on her mothers side came here from Germany in the 1890s. Grandpa on Mother's side was raised on the waterfront north of Seattle. I ma not sure when his family moved this far west. They have traced them back to 1838 in Illinois.

Where did everyone get all this knowledge of their ancestors? Was it handed down in records, or did you trace the family history yourself. Personally, I have no idea what country my family came from. That's not something that was ever a topic of interest among my family or anyone I knew.

I know my family from mid 1800s because of my grandparent's knowledge, but. Edits that, I have no idea.

I wouldn't mind tracing the roots. Are any of the online sites any good?

Hero, there are several good sites out there. A good place to get started is to contact your local Mormon church.

They have people and resources that are free to the public.

I have traced some lines back to the 1400's.

I have 1 line that can trace back to Adam if you can believe the genealogy of an English king.

herofan":1n8ny1f2 said:
Where did everyone get all this knowledge of their ancestors? Was it handed down in records, or did you trace the family history yourself. Personally, I have no idea what country my family came from. That's not something that was ever a topic of interest among my family or anyone I knew.

I know my family from mid 1800s because of my grandparent's knowledge, but. Edits that, I have no idea.

Handed down in records from the first one that settled in Maryland

herofan":3cclrts2 said:

Same here. I know where my mom and dad were from but little before that.

I was given alot of info from my kin and folks that had family Bibles past down. I did alot on my own thru ancestry dot com ive been working on it for yrs. I spend a month or two each yr on it. I find that it's easier because new clues will be discovered by others that can lead me to where I need to be. It's a big network .

herofan":2xhyrv4u said:

Family stories/records are the start and internet is the rest. Some countries, like Finland, kept awesome church records and put them online, so research is a breeze. Ancestry.com is a very good source and well worth the money, even for a one month world subscription, for the amount of info you can obtain. Some nationalities are a pain to do, like the Scots, because their respective governments don't believe in making records public, even if it's from 100+ years ago.

My great grand uncle's family was not close knit at all and that was fine for his children, but I have been tracking down the descendants and have met a few that are not so happy with their parents/grandparents who never shared family stories as they don't know any relations beyond their immediate family and it really has affected them as they grew up.

My mothers womb.
The doctor drug me out, spanked my a$$ and rolled me up in a blanket like a burrito with my arms pinned down so I couldn't fight back.
I don't remember much before then

Both sides of the family pretty much got off the boat in Maryland and Virginia and migrated in a more or less westward direction, as my genealogist great uncle put it, hill-hopped west. Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois. I recently viewed an Ancestry.com story which claims that most people in this nation moved East to West, as opposed to North to South and vice versa. We certainly followed that movement.

More recently, my great grandpa was a Southern Railroad man. Born in Pike County, IN, his work took him to St. Louis, back to Lyles Station Indiana, a town settled by freed slaves. Grandpa and his brothers rode a mule cart into Princeton to school, as the school at Lyles was black only. He was then transferred to Illinois, where Grandpa and one brother married and stayed, the rest followed work to cities or settled back in Gibson County, IN.

Great Grandpa didn't have much to do with his Pike Co. family. When asked why, he said "they're a bunch of outlaws", this coming from a man who ran a still in his younger days.