BLACKPOWER

Reaction score
Omaha World-Herald

Published Thursday
September 9, 2004

Memos show Bush suspended from flying

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

RELATED LINK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

»
Read the documents released by the White House

WASHINGTON - Addressing questions that have lingered for years, newly unearthed memos state that George W. Bush failed to meet standards of the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam war, that he refused a direct order and that his superiors were in a state of turmoil over how to evaluate his performance after he was suspended from flying.

President Bush

One military official "is pushing to sugar coat it," one memo says of a proposed evaluation of Bush.

"On this date I ordered that 1st Lt. Bush be suspended from flight status due to failure to perform to USAF/TexANG standards and failure to meet annual physical examination ... as ordered," says an Aug. 1, 1972 memo by a superior officer, Lt. Col. Jerry Killian, who is now dead. Killian said in the memo that he wanted a formal inquiry into the circumstances surrounding the flight suspension. No records have surfaced that one was ever conducted.

"I conveyed my verbal orders to commander," Killian's memo stated.

The same memo notes that Bush was trying to transfer to non-flying status out of state and recommends that the Texas unit fill his flying slot "with a more seasoned pilot from the list of qualified Vietnam pilots that have rotated."

The Vietnam-era documents add details to the bare-bones explanation of Bush's aides over the years that he was suspended simply because he decided to skip his flight physical.

The White House said in February that it had released all records of Bush's service, but one of Killian's memos stated it was "for record" and another directing Bush to take the physical exam stated that it was "for 1st Lt. George W. Bush."

"I can't explain why that wouldn't be in his record, but they were found in Jerry Killian's personal records," White House communications director Dan Bartlett told CBS's "60 Minutes II," which first obtained the memos.

Bartlett said Bush's superiors granted permission to train in Alabama in a non-flying status and that "many of the documents you have here affirm just that."

A memo dated May 19, 1972, five days after Bush was supposed to have completed his physical, summarizes a telephone discussion with Bush about how he "can get out of coming to drill from now through November." It says Bush was "told he could do ET for three months or transfer." ET referred to equivalent training, a procedure for meeting training requirements without attending regularly scheduled drills.

The same memo says "we talked abut him getting his flight physical situation fixed" and quotes Bush as saying he would "do that in Alabama if he stays in a flight status." It also says, "I advised him of our investment in him and his commitment."

Democratic Party chairman Terry McAuliffe said, "George W. Bush's cover story on his National Guard service is rapidly unraveling. ... George W. Bush needs to answer why he regularly misled the American people about his time in the Guard and who applied political pressure on his behalf to have his performance reviews 'sugarcoated'"

Bartlett told CBS, "As it says in your own documents, President Bush talked to the commanders about the fact that he'd be transferring to a unit ... in Alabama that didn't fly that plane," the F-102, the type Bush was trained in.

Using only last names, one of the newly disclosed documents points to sharp disagreement among Bush's superiors in Texas over how to evaluate his performance for the period from mid-1972 through mid-1973.

"Staudt has obviously pressured Hodges more about Bush," Killian wrote on Aug. 18, 1973. "I'm having trouble running interference and doing my job _ Harris gave me a message today from Grp regarding Bush's OETR and Staudt is pushing to sugar coat it. Bush wasn't here during rating period and I don't have any comments from 187th in Alabama. I will not rate." Grp refers to a military unit and OETR stands for officer efficiency training report.

The memo concludes: "Harris took the call from Grp today. I'll backdate but won't rate. Harris agrees."

At the time, Walter B. Staudt was commander of the Texas National Guard; Lt. Col. Bobby Hodges was one of Bush's superiors in Texas who two years earlier had rated Bush an outstanding young pilot; and Lt. Col. William D. Harris Jr. was another superior of Bush's.

Records released this year when Bush's military service re-emerged as a campaign issue contain no evidence that he showed up for duty at all for five months in mid-1972 and document only a few occasions later that year.

Asked about Killian's statement in a memo about the military's investment in Bush, Bartlett told CBS: "For anybody to try to interpret or presume they know what somebody who is now dead was thinking in any of these memos, I think is very difficult to do."

interesting...........

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Bush is not the one going around bragging about all his purple hearts. If you don't like him then don't vote for him, better yet don't vote at all.

txshowmom":2judf7lz said:
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Bush is not the one going around bragging about all his purple hearts. If you don't like him then don't vote for him, better yet don't vote at all.

No Bush's soft money henchmen are the one's who keep bringing up the purple hearts. Kerrey brings them up only to defend them. For christ sake the man did two tours of Viet Nam respect that.

BLACKPOWER":2j16v7bm said:
No Bush's soft money henchmen are the one's who keep bringing up the purple hearts. Kerrey brings them up only to defend them. For christ sake the man did two tours of Viet Nam respect that.

BP you have the wrong sequence. Kerry bragged about his purple hearts THEN (in your words) "Bush's soft money henchman" came in the picture.

Well, well, well.......seems the truth is finally coming out about W's National Guard duty. Seems he was to busy partying to go take a physical. Wonder what would happen to one of our kids if they did that?

But of course, he wants you to keep having your sons enlist, we need them to fight this war. Bush just didnt have the time in between the keggers and the social life. Funny how certain files got left out of the stack when all the files were made public!!

Let me see,....decorated serviceman who did 2 tours as requested...and then came back and stood up for something he felt was wrong,

or rich boy who refused to even take a physical and ran away as fast as he could to his daddies arms? It's your choice, but don't complain when you get 4 more yrs of the same mess we've had!

Again, it's the guys who have never even seen a war zone, much less fought in one, who are so gungho on keeping our young men and women in this war.

It's your choice, but don't complain when you get 4 more yrs of the same mess we've had!

You won't see me complaining. It will be the best thing for our country when Bush is reelected.

txshowmom":1rnqh081 said:

Exactly what would Bush go around bragging on? His military service? His business record? The companies he bankrupted? His blank stare for over 7 minutes in front of the kids in Florida? His academic record? He barely got out of college with a passing grade. He has to keep running his dadies business because noone in their right mind wopuld hire him based on his business record.

Oh I know his best assets..those 2daughters of his! At least we are seeing more of them nowadays!

Showmom has shown in the past her feeling about purpleheart medals. She believes anyone can get one and they are free for the asking at the local MP base. She thinks they give these things away like aspirin at the medic camps. I dont want to disrespect anyone who has served in the forces, and I believe if you have a purpleheart medal, you probably earned it!

Showmom has shown in the past her feeling about purpleheart medals. She believes anyone can get one and they are free for the asking at the local MP base. She thinks they give these things away like aspirin at the medic camps. I dont want to disrespect anyone who has served in the forces, and I believe if you have a purpleheart medal, you probably earned it!

You prove where I said that!

BLACKPOWER":5cknpuwb said:
txshowmom":5cknpuwb said:

How does one do two tours when he was in Nam for a total of 4months????

I was wondering the same thing. All my friends who were sent over there spent 12 to 14 months per tour. I have read where Kerry spent 4 months in country. I have never seen anything about two tours.
If serving in 'Nam is a requirement for being President why was Clinton in office for 8 years? He wasn't even in the National Guard.
Kerry is the one who brought it up that his service qualifies him as a leader. There were thousands of Lieutenants who served in 'Nam. Does that make them qualified to lead the country? How about 19 years in the Senate and only pass two bill where he was the prime sponsor? Does this qualify him to lead? I am not Bush's greatest fan but I don't see where Kerry is in the slightest way qualified. If the people in Mass. were paying attention to him and his record they would have elected someone else to the Senate years ago.
Dave

Dave":lkey4s4r said:
I was wondering the same thing. All my friends who were sent over there spent 12 to 14 months per tour. I have read where Kerry spent 4 months in country. I have never seen anything about two tours.
If serving in 'Nam is a requirement for being President why was Clinton in office for 8 years? He wasn't even in the National Guard.
Kerry is the one who brought it up that his service qualifies him as a leader. There were thousands of Lieutenants who served in 'Nam. Does that make them qualified to lead the country? How about 19 years in the Senate and only pass two bill where he was the prime sponsor? Does this qualify him to lead? I am not Bush's greatest fan but I don't see where Kerry is in the slightest way qualified. If the people in Mass. were paying attention to him and his record they would have elected someone else to the Senate years ago.
Dave

The difference is Bill Clinton didn't lie about where he was during Viet Nam, he said he was in Canada eating BSE ridden beef. And during the elections he sure as the hell never ripped Bob Dole on his service record.

The Bush gang pretty much makes a living off of ripping war vets..first McCain, now Kerry. I told you guys long ago that Bush was gonna regret opening up this Vietnam war service can of worms.....bet he wants a do over now!

The point is Kerry served the four months in "Nam (can't believe I am actually sticking up for the man!). How many days did Bush served in Viet Nam? Zero. When he heard the word "war" he fled and hid behind his daddy's back. Bush sits at the White House on his throne telling the Americans he knows everything there is about war when he himself never experienced it once!
be nice to Bill Clinton, he just had a heart bypass surgery, don't give him a heart attack or we will hear a lot more of Hillary! Yikes! Do you want to listen to Hillary's babbling????? I don't!

greenpasture78":63y0emhp said:
The point is Kerry served the four months in "Nam (can't believe I am actually sticking up for the man!).

you've been sticking up for him since the get-go

How many days did Bush served in Viet Nam? Zero.

Bush isn't running on his war record & never claimed to be a war hero, Kerry is & has.

Do you want to listen to Hillary's babbling????? I don't!

oh my gosh, i can't believe i actually agree with you on something although i almost think i'd rather listen to Hillary than you.......tough choice.

BLACKPOWER":3jk2fuzd said:
The difference is Bill Clinton didn't lie about where he was during Viet Nam...

LOL. The whole world knows all about Clinton's honesty. He's so honest he got impeached for it. LOLsomemore. BTW, besides being in Canada wasn't he was also in the USSR protesting against the US?

BLACKPOWER":3jk2fuzd said:
And during the elections he sure as the hell never ripped Bob Dole on his service record.

Dole didn't run on his service record and the men who fought next to him didn't question his service record. Dole actually has wounds to back up his Purple Hearts.

eric":3jk2fuzd said:
I told you guys long ago that Bush was gonna regret opening up this Vietnam war service can of worms.....bet he wants a do over now!

Bush didn't open that can of worms. Kerry did, at his own convention. That said, Bush would pass on a do over. He's gotten a lot more out of this mess than Kerry has.

greenpasture78":3jk2fuzd said:
<snip of same old unintelligible drivel>

Go away. Come back when you're making some type of contribution to society. Until then you have not earned a place in the debate.

Craig-TX

BLACKPOWER":329zcsbl said:
txshowmom":329zcsbl said:

BP, the man did 4 months in the nam, strictly to further his political career,most of the time he was in the rear with the gear. Bush, like thousands of other americans, joined the guard/reserve, instaed of going to canada. There were some guard outfits that were activated for VietNam,everyone took that risk of being activated.Also,he at least completed his reserve obligation which is more than you can say for John F'ing Kerry.

Let me tell you someting about LT's in the Nam,and by the way Mr Fairy err I mean Kerry was a LtJg (JUNIOR GRADE ).Those guys fresh out of the Annapolis couldn't find their A$$ with both hands. Why do you think when guys went on patrol a Sargent was in charge and not the 1st Louie. Because the 1st Louie had NO combat experience. So in my book Kerry's 4 stinkin months on a river patrol boat hardly qualifies him as a Viet Nam vet.

Craig-TX":2qsp3m60 said:
BLACKPOWER":2qsp3m60 said:
The difference is Bill Clinton didn't lie about where he was during Viet Nam...

LOL. The whole world knows all about Clinton's honesty. He's so honest he got impeached for it. LOLsomemore. BTW, besides being in Canada wasn't he was also in the USSR protesting against the US?

BLACKPOWER":2qsp3m60 said:
And during the elections he sure as the hell never ripped Bob Dole on his service record.

Dole didn't run on his service record and the men who fought next to him didn't question his service record. Dole actually has wounds to back up his Purple Hearts.

eric":2qsp3m60 said:
I told you guys long ago that Bush was gonna regret opening up this Vietnam war service can of worms.....bet he wants a do over now!

Bush didn't open that can of worms. Kerry did, at his own convention. That said, Bush would pass on a do over. He's gotten a lot more out of this mess than Kerry has.

greenpasture78":2qsp3m60 said:
<snip of same old unintelligible drivel>

Go away. Come back when you're making some type of contribution to society. Until then you have not earned a place in the debate.

Craig-TX

Craig this guy is for the democrats needs help running the hobby farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts