Where to move to.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone :lol: but Arkansas is a great state. Lots of rural areas to choose from and don't forget that it's not very far to a Walmart no matter where you are! Prices are not sky high
(yet), many different areas to choose from. River bottoms, mountains, woodlands, fields and everything in between.

As I think Campground said, there's lots of good places to live in the South and good people most places.
;-)

Virginia is a good place to live (well, except for the occasional hurricane remnants blasting up from the south)...we get all four seasons, spring is usually spectacular, plenty of cattle here...farmland can be pricey, depending upon where you go; some areas flat (eastern part) and some hilly (Blue Ridge Mountains)...we're in the central part of the state so a trip to the mountains or the ocean is just a matter of a couple hours' drive (not that I've got time to go either place, LOL)....a long way from Calif., that's for sure, but moving 50 miles or 3,000 miles, you still gotta pack everything up....cannot imagine moving an entire farm with animals, equipment, etc., yikes what a chore that would be!
Gale

Mountains OR ocean in a few hours? Sounds like a pretty decent place to be. I've got a buddy on Mount Airy. From what he says it's too dang cold for me, but I guess I'm a sissy when it comes to cold.

You could move up here to Washington...... No wait a minute. You are from California. Nothing personal but we have way too many Califorians already. You know it rains every day up here so I am sure you wouldn't like it. Be sure to tell all your friends that too.

Dave

ChrisB":lihtas71 said:
On a side note, I don't believe Texas is the largest Cow/Calf state is it? I always thought it was Missouri. Texas has large numbers of everything simply because of the area of the state, I think if you look at number of cattle/sheep/corn/hay/ etc. per sq. mile they probably wouldn't lead in anything.

i don't know about number per sq mi, but Texas certainly leads in total numbers:

http://www.nass.usda.gov/fl/lvstk/lvstk04.txt

Dave":3lxsudua said:
You could move up here to Washington...... No wait a minute. You are from California. Nothing personal but we have way too many Califorians already. You know it rains every day up here so I am sure you wouldn't like it. Be sure to tell all your friends that too.

Dave

Well Dave, We happen to love the rain and we had thought about washington but decided that we couldn't live in a state that is full of what we are trying to get away from. Nothing personal. And as far as trying to tell all our "friends" to stay away they are all planning to move to Oregon and Washington. It is attitudes like yours that we are trying to get away from. Trust me if we were not born here we sure as h@#$ wouldn't be here.

TXAG,

Your right, Texas has far and away the most. I must have been remembering a discusion on who had the second most maybe. I'm an idiot.

California might have a lot of problems you guys want to get away from, but if you look at the numbers like the Texans are doing, you guys pretty much rule in the total ag dollars revenue department.

D.R. Cattle":3pd6mmgk said:
California might have a lot of problems you guys want to get away from, but if you look at the numbers like the Texans are doing, you guys pretty much rule in the total ag dollars revenue department.

There's more to it then revenue. Taxes, workmans comp, land prices, redicules regulation, attitudes, firearms and just the general nut/wacko mentality. And if you happen to be fortunate enough to live where you have the freedoms you would want, the legislature makes it unbearable to do so.
Been there, done that. That's why we're in MO.

dun

D.R. Cattle":3psehfyc said:
Well, OK I subside. California sucks and should be booted from the Union.

Just the part west of the Seirra crest. In reality it's primarily the 3 major population centers that govern the state, Gay Bay, Sac and LA. Of course there are more coming on line all the time as fruitcake havens.

dun

Double R Ranch":x1kpzuap said:
We are starting to look at larger ranches in almost any other state other than this one! We would like some place a ways from any large towns yet in a cattle oriented comunity. Any one have any preferences? We would like somewhere with decent weather. We are not sure about huricanes, 30 below etc. We don't mind snow but in moderation. :oops: We are very interested in hearing the opinion of fellow ranchers. We are also interested in the "cattle" pro's and con's for the different states.
Thanks to all who respond and happy mooo year from the Double R Ranch! :cboy: Happy Ranching!!!

Give some thought to Oklahoma. It's a very ag friendly state. Several years ago we attended a seminar and met ranchers from WY and VA who had sold their places and moved into OK. They were able to buy more land for less money than they sold their places. The guy from VA said the hardest part of the move was learning to make coffee. His place in VA was split up and he stopped at convience stores and bought his coffee. With his OK place, it's all contiguous land and he didn't get a chance to stop at a 7-11 for coffee. There's a lot of difference in carrying capacity on land in the eastern part of OK versus the western part. The guy from WY did miss his beautiful mountains, though he didn't miss the winters.