Where to learn pregnancy palpating

Help Support CattleToday:

riquezada

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this but anyways. I would like to learn how to palpate cows to estimate how many months they are bred. Does anyone know of any classes, vets, etc that teach preferably near South Central KY. Thanks

THERE IS SCHOOL IN KANSAS WHERE i WENT YEARS AGO FOR THAT VERY PURPOSE

HAVING A SENIOR MOMENT AND CANNOT RECALL THE NAME...

WILL POST IT WHEN I REMEMBER IT...

Going to Graham school in May. Excited to take the course I hear a lot of good things. Can't ever learn enough about cows!

Nesikep":3j9uc3m9 said:
I think the short answer is "In a cow" :p

Believe it or not, you'll learn more outside the cow. Seeing 8 different uterus laid out on tables and feeling the fetus helped more than going in. After that you go to the barn and arm 14 cows and still guess. Calling one pregnant at 60-80 days takes patience but is fairly easy. Determining the gestation lenght takes some time and practice. Personally I feel the blood test deal is the way to go, and for a few different reasons.

True Grit Farms":pi6irs8q said:
Nesikep":pi6irs8q said:
I think the short answer is "In a cow" :p

Believe it or not, you'll learn more outside the cow. Seeing 8 different uterus laid out on tables and feeling the fetus helped more than going in. After that you go to the barn and arm 14 cows and still guess. Calling one pregnant at 60-80 days takes patience but is fairly easy. Determining the gestation lenght takes some time and practice. Personally I feel the blood test deal is the way to go, and for a few different reasons.

I tail bleed mine, its fast, no vet farm fees, and its more accurate. Of course you don't get a 4 or 6 months instead a yes or no, but I only leave my bull in for a couple months so that's not an issue.

That's good reasons for sure. Calling a pregnancy after 28 days and only a less than a 3% chance of being wrong is another. And zero chance of causing an abortion or any internal damange instead of up to a +9% chance.
I like the idea of ultrasound to date and sex, but there's a 4% abortion risk there also. All my numbers are from studies conducted by grad students at different universities throughout the country. I'm sure individual results vary, but thereally is definitely risks to palpitation.

I agree that the blood test is a cheap easy way...but I'm starting to trade cattle, something I haven't done much in the past. I have always had a herd and basically sold the calves and a few culls. So knowing how far along they are bred is my goal

riquezada":3ohgupn9 said:
I agree that the blood test is a cheap easy way...but I'm starting to trade cattle, something I haven't done much in the past. I have always had a herd and basically sold the calves and a few culls. So knowing how far along they are bred is my goal

If you are checking to sell most buyers will want them to be preg checked and aged by a licensed veterinarian.

I won't be selling direct as bred cows but back through the stockyard several months later. After watching and paying close attention to my neighbor who at any one time has at least 300 cows I have decided to follow suit and do what he does but on a smaller scale. My plans are to buy thin cows out of the pound pen late fall. I will be keeping them several months to put them back in shape for a spring market. Preg check them and if bred then drop off at the local stockyard as bred when I drop off the fattened up pound cows. My plans aren't to buy one day and drop off at another stockyard another day but if someone does that I have no problem as it's their money, time and risk...I have always had a herd and basically sold some calves but I am seeing a potential here...I have the time, money, feed and most of all experience to try this...

KS is a days drive away but I look at it as a few days of get a way. MN probably about same distance. I'm going to check into the AI places too.

riquezada":buao310r said:
I won't be selling direct as bred cows but back through the stockyard several months later. After watching and paying close attention to my neighbor who at any one time has at least 300 cows I have decided to follow suit and do what he does but on a smaller scale. My plans are to buy thin cows out of the pound pen late fall. I will be keeping them several months to put them back in shape for a spring market. Preg check them and if bred then drop off at the local stockyard as bred when I drop off the fattened up pound cows. My plans aren't to buy one day and drop off at another stockyard another day but if someone does that I have no problem as it's their money, time and risk...I have always had a herd and basically sold some calves but I am seeing a potential here...I have the time, money, feed and most of all experience to try this...
How much profit per head do you think this would make?

Im really not sure. I'm still pushing the pencil but farm and all equipment is paid off. How long is a piece of string? A lot of ifs in the mixture,deaths, one that just won't gain regardless, etc. I do believe nothing ventured nothing gained. My neighbor seemed to be doing quite well with it.

I did recently purchase 18 bred cows, some barely over lb price and one calved already less than a month after purchase. I have rather low inputs so these cows should pay off. I'll probably take some back and sell as pairs.

One other option I forgot: a stockyard about 50 miles away has a vet that stays late to work customers bought cattle onsite. He vaccinated, ear tags or whatever you need done.

Unfortunately the local stockyard's vets seem to leave as soon as they can.

Latest posts