Where to get real news

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
Where does everyone get real news? I'm not asking in a sarcastic, smart-butt way, but I'm serious. Even during good times, people seem to be very informed, at least in their mind, about what is going on in the country and around the world. Yet, at the same time, they believe media is a load of bull. If the government or media says the sky is blue, there is always many with different information ready to straighten everyone out. Where do they get this information? What are some real sources of news? Maybe it's simple. Maybe it's PBS or maybe there is a reputable newspaper out there. I'd like to know the source.

You're not the only one wondering this. It seems that we can no longer trust the news media with all of the fake news, and for one story, there are multiple different views of the same thing so you end up more confused.

I read between 4 and 6 sources a day, from both sides of the political aisle. Unfortunately, and fortunately, our news is a for profit entity. The government cannot control it like China and North Korea, however that does lead to some questionable ethics when considering the fact that for-profit corporations are concerned with the bottom line, therefore potentially over, or under, portraying the severity of issues.

herofan said:
What are some of those specific sources?

I read two local news sources here in Idaho.
Fox News
CNN
NPR
A browser that I have through work provides articles from The Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and New York Times.

I listen to NPR in the mornings. Other than that, I get most of my news online. The Associated Press is the best and least partisan, in my opinion. In general, all of the major news sites (CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc.) are fine as long as you read the actual articles and don't just skim the headlines. That's where the spin happens. Cable television news is almost as bad as facebook and twitter; I don't watch it.

My policy was to not read/watch the news. Wrong attitude come to find out. I went in to covid 19, uninformed. I have started trying to make time for the news.

ALACOWMAN said:
Well can't get the news at breakfast anytime soon..I get all I cared for at the diner. Youll get the story complete with commentary...

There isn't actual news I can find anymore like in the Walter Cronkite reporting days. That's the way it was and you decided.

Today it's all slanted to one side or the other IMO it's two snakes a red and blue one.
It seems Americans lack the skills or desire for critical thinking. It's birds of a feather flock together and squawk together and the media is playing the pied piper. Social media has made many like lemmings IMO if you don't conform you will be ostracized by your peers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/most-biased-news-outlets-in-america-cnn-fox-nytimes-2018-8%3famp

I read most of my news on Apple news. I listen to AM radio. Never watch the news on tv unless breaking news ends up recording over one of my shows.

Latest posts