Where to find Maine Show Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCK-N-W

Reaction score
I meet a lady the other day who said she gets $20,000 a head for her Maine show cattle? I estimate I would have to sell 5o steers at market to make that. Is she full of it or is that accurate? And does anyone know of a site I can check theese cows out?

LIKE PUTTING ON A HUNDRED DOLLER SATTLE ON A TEN DOLLER HORSE!

its not unheard of. but she must have some pretty top of the line show animals to get $20,000 a head...especially if it is for a good number of calves. one or two every couple of years, okay, but avg. that much per head sold each year... thats something. do you mind sharing her name?

She works with my wife at dept of Agriculture, I will find out tonight and see if it is ok to pass info on, & post it tommorow.
If that's the case I sure am working too hard with my 100 head cow operation. It sure would be sweet to manage ten head and make five times what I do. That's why it struck a cord with me to start asking questions.
My wife also said she had to pull a turned calve last week and it's birth wieght was a hundred and fifty+ lbs . My only reply was I rekon so.

Also, you are proberly right about the sale of only a few every couple of years, I don't think she has a huge operation.
but for that kinda money I would like to own fifty or sixty head myself

That club calf world is something else. the management, feed and everything is different than a commercial or seedstock operation. a decent steer can run you $3,000 easy. if you can get the genetics and do the marketing you can be successful. lots of marketing and advertising and knowing how to raise animals that win. the more you win the better your calves sell for.

Neighbor does a lot of Maine show cattle.. Sells 20-30 a year but not many are in the 20k range.. Have been a couple (Or so he tells me :lol: :lol: ) but the amount of labor he puts into his cows is not for me.. nor is the food he pumps them either.. Does he make money doing it? I reckon so.. Could I, well, with the contacts and such maybe but it would take a while to develop the reputation and a lot of time.. A lot of time.. I sold my Maine bulls last year and the year before and this will be my first "Maine free" calving season.. I doubt I will see too many 100 pounders, but I didn't see too many with the Maine's either...

Like I always tell the wife there are no honest get rich quick schemes out there or every one would be doing it.
From the couple of pictures that I have seen they look a awful lot like my black Angus.

ROCK-N-W":3js083fv said:
Like I always tell the wife there are no honest get rich quick schemes out there or every one would be doing it.
From the couple of pictures that I have seen they look a awful lot like my black Angus.

They are black for the most part. but they aren't really bred for carcass or performance like most black angus you see. more for show structure and hair and width. There is definantly a lot of time to be spent working with them, too.

One thing I seem to be in short supply of is time. My cows are dropping on a daily basis and will be for another month.
I have one of my old Angus standing here trying to take away my laptop as I sit on my tellgate right now she's a big pest moma made her that way but she's 16 years old .
and dropes a nice hieffer every year she has only had two bull calves so far.
My wife will check with her friend tommorrow about me giving up her name so we will see, & I never seen a 150+ born calf in my life, maybe they doing a little calf stretching.

There are some Maines out there, even out of the showier lines, that produce some pretty good x-bred calves.. we had some bulls out of Draft Pick, and out of a son called Back Draft.. They were a bit showier than I would like but they had real high preforming calves with lots of muscle.. I mean lots.. My biggest problem with them was when we tossed them on some cross bred cows that had some Chi in them we started getting some buck legs that I didn't like to well.. Couldn't complain about the pounds they would put on and grew real well when we backgrounded them.. That experience is one of the many things that have me thinking of my next bull purchase and has me leaning towards some terminal sires, maybe even, gasp, Chars. :help:

I promised too get back to you on Lady's name on 20,000 doller sale, I am still waiting for the warden to talk to her I also asked her to get name of animal sold, I will post it as soon as she gives the ok. She is on her way to Alabama to buy more, so it may be next week. When My wife saw those high doller fiqures I could just see the smoke coming outa her head. :shock:
So I said I would check into it, maybe I will get her a couple and she can mess with them provided I can find a dam for a whole lot less, I got my hands full on the rest.

The lady's name is Britney Keeney, she lives here in Ft. Pierce FL.
She is very broud of her bull & his name is PNAT the $20,000
SHE ALSO SAID AT A AUCTION THIS PAST WEEKEND THE FIRST HIEFFER WENT FOR $94,000.
Now my head is smoking :idea:

The neighbors don't sell to many into the steer camp, they focus more on the heifers. I bet it took this lady several years to build up the reputation and a lof of showing of her cattle, either by her or someone she sold the calves too. My neighbor really wanted us to get into this, we looked at some momma cows out of Oklahoma but they were nothing to write home about.. I'm kind of glad we steered clear of it now in the long run, I have a strange feeling that we would have been left sucking hind teat...

ROCK-N-W":3decbkrx said:
I meet a lady the other day who said she gets $20,000 a head for her Maine show cattle? I estimate I would have to sell 5o steers at market to make that. Is she full of it or is that accurate? And does anyone know of a site I can check theese cows out?

LIKE PUTTING ON A HUNDRED DOLLER SATTLE ON A TEN DOLLER HORSE!

I saw a bred Shorthorn heifer sell for ~$34,000 at Denver and liked to fell out of my seat. Mr Hudson (now deceased) in Arkansas told me once that he had sold some cows over the years for $40,000plus even $100,000 and I have seen Randy Owen get $15,000++ for a donor that I liked; but I certainly did not like that much. I really do not understand that side of the business; but I acknowledge that it DOES exist.

There ARE people who spend more than they have to on their house, on their truck, on their kid's education, on their clothes, on their TV set, on their horse, or on their cows. To me my Grandfather's 1956 built house always was the home I coveted, the base pickup with a strong engine, Air, and cruise was always the truck I wanted, the state schools (Auburn, UAB, and Alabama) were the only ones I considered, I have old CRT tvs (some of them 20 years plus) because I am satisfied with the old tv, my clothes all came from Wal-mart (usually the reduced racks), to me a tractor is a tool that pulls the hay baler it is never a status symbol, and the purpose of registered cows is to multiply registered cows to produce bulls that will sire good commercial calves.

NOT everybody see this business THAT way and if they can make money with $34,000 cows MORE POWER to them.

Yeah, but I admit those numbers got my attention too.
I run about fifty breeder cows and have about 20 more coming of age. I'm in my 4th year only started with twelve ain't seen a buck yet. gonna hang in there till I show a profit, been working cows lot longer though, My wife's family said I could'nt do it, I'm the wrong cracker to make that comment to, old & stuborn, I have already surpassed any quality of anything I saw out ther in the past 20 years. So I will keep plugging at it. I will be looking into this cattle more though. :lol:

I grew up on a farm in Russelville Alabama, I know where your coming from, we farmed 1500 acres of cotton & 1500 acres of soybeans, raised hogs, chickens, calves, our own garden canned our on fruit,vegs, meat, Long for the days of sitting on the front porch in a rocker shelling purple hulled peas & speckled butterbeans, Had no running water and had to run out the out house which got real cold in the winter,nuttin but a sears catlog. Worked from sunrise to sundown went to town once a month. But I'm still gonna check um out, I want to do the ranching full time and give it 100% of my efforts, And sell this other business of mine giving me lots of premature grey/blond hairs.

ROCK-N-W":1bt5bkr0 said:
The lady's name is Britney Keeney, she lives here in Ft. Pierce FL.
She is very broud of her bull & his name is PNAT the $20,000
SHE ALSO SAID AT A AUCTION THIS PAST WEEKEND THE FIRST HIEFFER WENT FOR $94,000.
Now my head is smoking :idea:

where was that sale? and i live in florida and keeney rings a bell i just cant figure out from where

ROCK-N-W":507bmkhm said:
Yeah, but I admit those numbers got my attention too.
I run about fifty breeder cows and have about 20 more coming of age. I'm in my 4th year only started with twelve ain't seen a buck yet. gonna hang in there till I show a profit, been working cows lot longer though, My wife's family said I could'nt do it, I'm the wrong cracker to make that comment to, old & stuborn, I have already surpassed any quality of anything I saw out ther in the past 20 years. So I will keep plugging at it. I will be looking into this cattle more though. :lol:

Once you get out of multiplying the herd mode, and the average age of your cows gets in the 5-7 year range, you should be considerably more profitable.....a few $20,000 calf sales will certainly help balance your books......Be warned though, I have seen a lot of very good cattlemen spend a good chunk of change chasing that rainbow and that "elite breeder" status can be a very elusive dream.

I think she's talking a big game. They go for that much but if your saleing club calves for that much your name is OUT there and everyone know's of you. Thats just what I think.

Go to a Buck Cattle Co. sale. Jirl Buck sells a bunch of high dollar show heifers.

Latest posts