Where to find a fullblood Chianina bull ?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Hello I am interseted in Getting my hands on different breeds of cattle, the last two years I have used a White Park bull on my commercial herd and they have done great. I recently went down to Lenior City Tenn. and bought a six month old red Beefmaster bull to try next. I am hopping they will do ok up here in the northeast, with all the nasty weather.

I'm just going to ask why your headed with a chi?? We had about 6 around the place and they were goofier than anything I've ever seen and I work at the local sale barn in the summer so I get to work with some goofy cattle. Unless your ready to raise your fences for the bulls and their offspring look towards a different breed... Try Romangola if your interested in Italian breeds.

You would probably find them on Mars (yes the planet. Surprise NASA have't spot one yet). They are so goofy and get spook so easy they could fly to Mars! Had one cow who was a Chi got scared of a Daunshund (weiner dog), flip over the fence and got up and ran....the other cows stared at her stupidly (probably even laughing...). She lost the calf due from her acrobat act....she grew wheels and became IBP hamburger.

Can't readily think of a reason to go with a fullblooded Chi, unless you want to add some frame size to cows --- but there are other, better breeds that can give you frame size if that's what you're after.

I like Beefmasters very much but I'm down in southeast Texas. I would think that they are more suited to my area and the south or west generally, rather than the northeast. I would think that the 50% Brahman in Beefmasters is something most cattlemen in the north would want to avoid. You will take a hit at the sale barn for "eared" calves and I don't think you can expect that Beefmasters will handle the cold and snow quite as easily as say Angus, Shorthorn, Hereford. Of course it does get pretty cold in Colorado and that's where the foundation herd owned by the Lasater family now thrives!

Not one of the chi breeders in maine kept then pure after the 2nd calf crop. Chi's can be registered under 25% and are tall and heavily boned. Try charlais if you want to mix in light colors, you will get more meat and a most likely a safer animal to handle. The best use of chi is mix with holstein for pulling steers.

pat

Everyone has been pretty tough on the Chianina breed in answering this gentleman's question. As with all breeds some are more docile than others. The same applies within breeds of cattle as well. That being said, I would agree that the Chianina breed does probably have a higher percentage of cattle, than some others, of cattle that are challenged with having a disposition problem. However, the same can be said about the Limousin breed as well as some others.

On the other hand, the Chianina breed certainly has a place in the beef industry. First, they are considered a heavily muscled, high performing breed. From the performance aspect, we still sell cattle by the pound, so this is an admirable trait. Secondly, they are considered a lean breed of cattle that may not marble and excel as well as an Angus within a quality grade grid system. But they should have additional performance and pounds to compensate for lack of quality grade. On the other hand they will yield and have a much lower numerical yield grade than british breeds of cattle.

The one place where I feel the Chianina breed excels all others is in adding phenotype to a cowherd. If you have an average or below average cowherd in terms of phenotype and eye appeal. You can really fancy up a set of calves in one generation. Yes, they are a large breed of cattle, particularly the fullbloods or purebreds, but at the same time if you need to increase size in your herd, it can be done relatively quickly with this breed. Naturally, you want to pay close attention to BW EPD's as well as actual BW and ratios.

There is an excellent producer of fullblood Chianina cattle located in Texas. I would suggest calling the ACA (American Chianina Association), located in Platte City, MO, I believe and ask for their assistance. Hope this information helps you out.

Thanks to all of you for getting back to me. The main reason I wanted to use a chianina bull on my commercial herd is for thier size. I want higher weaning weights and I like the looks of the huge white bull.

I think using a Chi full blood Bull your calf birth weight might be high, hope you have large framed cows or you might have calving problems. ALF

ALF":1d8soxub said:
I think using a Chi full blood Bull your calf birth weight might be high, hope you have large framed cows or you might have calving problems. ALF

Actually, chis were very easy calving. The calves were built like a snake. They shot right out even when they weighed 140lbs. I hate chis more than anyone, but you have to admit they were cool looking.

When dad cross bred with chis we had calving problems. The only thing we had worse were penzauger(sp) and charlais. If I wanted large weaning weights I would use simmi or gelbveigh. Chi's are the only beef critter I know of that can kick with both feet like a mule.

pat

PAT B":1r0ehooj said:
When dad cross bred with chis we had calving problems. The only thing we had worse were penzauger(sp) and charlais. If I wanted large weaning weights I would use simmi or gelbveigh. Chi's are the only beef critter I know of that can kick with both feet like a mule.

pat

Yep been there done that...I have seen a pair of hooves aiming at my face..only a Chi can do it! The only other breed that loves to kick are Highlands. Some reason they have a terrible itch to kick at anyone trying to move them. They are the martial arts of cattle breeds...

If you are interested in italians try Romagnolas or Marchigiana they have better temperament then Chianina

kevonto":kdkwi8sj said:
Hello I am interseted in Getting my hands on different breeds of cattle, the last two years I have used a White Park bull on my commercial herd and they have done great. I recently went down to Lenior City Tenn. and bought a six month old red Beefmaster bull to try next. I am hopping they will do ok up here in the northeast, with all the nasty weather.

I was looking for info on fullblodd chianina to and the only breeder website I found was http://www.chianina.com.mx. He is located in mexico and told me his weren't bad tempered or bad milkers.He even said he sells them to be crossed for tropical milkers.One reason he gives for the bad qualities is original imports of chianina were selected for size and nothing much else.He has newer genetics so they are probably better performing.

you could check the site of the American Chianina Association too. http://www.chicattle.org

Anonymous":thb82rz6 said:
I was looking for info on fullblodd chianina to and the only breeder website I found was http://www.chianina.com.mx. He is located in mexico and told me his weren't bad tempered or bad milkers.He even said he sells them to be crossed for tropical milkers.One reason he gives for the bad qualities is original imports of chianina were selected for size and nothing much else.He has newer genetics so they are probably better performing.

Yeah angus got powerful kicks too. Very harsh! :lol:

Also I've always wondered about the Chi's? :?: They are so pretty who new they were that way. 8) Cause I sure didn't! :D
Ellie May

:cboy:

Oregonian said:
PAT B said:

pat

Yep been there done that...I have seen a pair of hooves aiming at my face..only a Chi can do it! The only other breed that loves to kick are Highlands. Some reason they have a terrible itch to kick at anyone trying to move them. They are the martial arts of cattle breeds...

Well this post is several years old but i can still help anyone looking for Fullblood Chianina. I think the people who have answered the question so far have been very unfair in their description. Chi's do have a bad rap for being "nervous" but they can offer more in crossbreed situations than any other breed out there and that's not disputable. No, you can't hop on a four-wheel and chase them around the pasture, however if you watch for behavior issues young, they are great cattle. The Fullbloods are also known for their beef which is very lean and flavorful. I raise Chiangus and a few Fullbloods so if anyone is interested you can find us (Lees Cattle Co) on Facebook and Twitter or email me [email protected].

They are truly a jaw dropping breed when you see one in person and if you are looking for something different than the common black cow, Chianina are a great option.

Also, Chi's are actually known for calving EASE! They are long and thin at birth specifically their heads. I breed a Fullblood bull to Angus cows and 90lbs calves pretty much fall out. I have a small herd (30) but have NEVER pulled a calf from that bull in three years.

I raise Full Blood Chianina Cattle. They are a great breed to cross with other cattle due to the fact of their calving ease. They are not wild as long as you dont Crack a whip or hoop at them. If you need prices on Bulls or heifers give me an email at [email protected] I can email pictures of my cattle

Latest posts