Where to cut to bleed out calf for butcher?

Help Support CattleToday:

crimsoncrazy

Reaction score
I've read that you should cut just above the breast bone. We have had mix results geting them to bleed out well. We use a 22 to put them down.

In front of the breast bone is the place you just kind of work your knife till the juggler is cut you should be able to tell when you hit it ???? that may not help you much I can do it ,because I have killed several thousand head when I worked on a kill floor, but its kind of hard to tell how to do it.
the wind pipe I wouldn't care to much about we had them lifted by back leg so if you did hit the wind pipe I guess it would just come out their nose and mouth ?? never thought about it.
Hope I didn't confuse you

I've done it like Bryant says but I think this method works better if they are hanging. In the field you can go just behind the jaw at the point where the first vertebra is and stick you knife in there with the blade facing out and pull outward. This should cut both carotids, the jugulars, windpipe and the esophagus and they will bleed out and not into the chest cavity. Also by cutting the windpipe this will prevent the animal from making any odd noises that to some might sound like you are hurting the dead animal.

Latest posts